Herbs And Spices

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peety

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a beginner that's done a few successful kit brews, and I'm now looking at experimenting more.

What would you suggest as some good herbs/spices/fruits to start with? And some recipes they would go nicely with?

Collection of thoughts from a range of sites.:

'Spice it Up'

Many of the spices and flavorings used to make wassail tend to be perceived as warming in aroma and flavor. Heres an overview of those options:
Allspice- This is one of the more interesting spices to use; within the single small berry is a natural mixture of flavors reminiscent of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and juniper berries.
Cardamom- The plump seeds of the cardamom family are used in culinary applications as diverse as coffee flavoring, barbecue sauces, and curry powder. Used judiciously, cardamom lends beer a unique and subtle spicy flavor.
Cinnamon- Cinnamon is most often associated with pastries and other confections. Make sure that you use cinnamon bark rather than powder because you can easily remove the sticks from the brew; cinnamon powder (unless filtered out) would remain in the beer and may create a harsh flavor and an unpleasant lingering mouthfeel.
Cloves- Clove-like aromas and tastes occur naturally in some beer styles most notably the Bavarian Weizenbiers and some Belgian Ales. Homebrewers can introduce this clove character by using whole cloves but use them in small quantities. Cloves are often perceived as having a strong phenolic or medicinal character.
Ginger- The flavor of raw gingerroot is intense and may be described as spicy-hot or sharp in anything but small quantities or dilutions. The flavor -most closely associated with gingerbread cookies and ginger ale (soda)- actually works quite well in beer. The key is to use grated gingerroot rather than ginger powder. Use gingerly; 1 ounce in a 5-gallon batch of beer is plenty.
Other Unique Alternatives
These non-spice flavorings make interesting alternatives:
Spruce essence- A tip of the cap to colonial beers, spruce beer was an early American favorite. You can buy spruce essence through your homebrew supplier. Five teaspoons or less gives your beer a refreshing spruce taste.
Orange peel- Due to the growing popularity of Belgian Witbier, dried orange peel is now available at most good homebrew supply stores. Choose between sweet orange or bitter (Curaao) orange variety. A couple ounces per 5-gallon batch is typical usage.
Vanilla bean- Although high-quality vanilla extract is easier to work with, the oil of the vanilla bean can also lend a pleasant mouthfeel to your brew while it gives a rich aroma and flavor. For best results, use macerated (crushed) vanilla beans during secondary fermentation only.

Read more: http://beer-brewing.suite101.com/article.c...0HGBvaGYj&B

Collection of thoughts from a range of sites.:

'Spice it Up'

Many of the spices and flavorings used to make wassail tend to be perceived as warming in aroma and flavor. Heres an overview of those options:
Allspice- This is one of the more interesting spices to use; within the single small berry is a natural mixture of flavors reminiscent of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and juniper berries.
Cardamom- The plump seeds of the cardamom family are used in culinary applications as diverse as coffee flavoring, barbecue sauces, and curry powder. Used judiciously, cardamom lends beer a unique and subtle spicy flavor.
Cinnamon- Cinnamon is most often associated with pastries and other confections. Make sure that you use cinnamon bark rather than powder because you can easily remove the sticks from the brew; cinnamon powder (unless filtered out) would remain in the beer and may create a harsh flavor and an unpleasant lingering mouthfeel.
Cloves- Clove-like aromas and tastes occur naturally in some beer styles most notably the Bavarian Weizenbiers and some Belgian Ales. Homebrewers can introduce this clove character by using whole cloves but use them in small quantities. Cloves are often perceived as having a strong phenolic or medicinal character.
Ginger- The flavor of raw gingerroot is intense and may be described as spicy-hot or sharp in anything but small quantities or dilutions. The flavor -most closely associated with gingerbread cookies and ginger ale (soda)- actually works quite well in beer. The key is to use grated gingerroot rather than ginger powder. Use gingerly; 1 ounce in a 5-gallon batch of beer is plenty.
Other Unique Alternatives
These non-spice flavorings make interesting alternatives:
Spruce essence- A tip of the cap to colonial beers, spruce beer was an early American favorite. You can buy spruce essence through your homebrew supplier. Five teaspoons or less gives your beer a refreshing spruce taste.
Orange peel- Due to the growing popularity of Belgian Witbier, dried orange peel is now available at most good homebrew supply stores. Choose between sweet orange or bitter (Curaao) orange variety. A couple ounces per 5-gallon batch is typical usage.
Vanilla bean- Although high-quality vanilla extract is easier to work with, the oil of the vanilla bean can also lend a pleasant mouthfeel to your brew while it gives a rich aroma and flavor. For best results, use macerated (crushed) vanilla beans during secondary fermentation only.

Read more: http://beer-brewing.suite101.com/article.c...0HGBvaGYj&B

Thanks heaps mate, really appreciate it. Have you used any of these before?

Apart from novelty experiments, less-is-more is a good rule of thumb. Spices are great when they add to the overall taste/aroma, but easily become unpleasant when overdone. Several sources on my bookshelf say that if there is enough to clearly identify the spice, then you've used too much.

A couple that I've tried over the years with some success (and some failure) are:

Winter warmers: often dark ales with spices such as cinnamon, coriander, cardamom and ginger. A blend is good, and enough to create interest without knocking your woolly thermals off. I've done it kits+bits with good reviews from sundry brothers-in-law.

Wit: coriander and sour orange peel are standard additions. Before I went AG, I used to frequently brew a wheat kit with T-58 - a belgian dry yeast. A few times I added coriander and orange peel, but in the end I decided the T-58 yeast did a fine job on its own.

T.

When I first started brewing, I did meads exclusivley. I overspiced nearly all of them with massive ammounts of cinnamon, now I really can't stand the stuff. Less is mos def more.

As I only recently started brewing I havnt gotten to try any of my experiments but each batch I do 6 bottles. I know its not the same as brewing with it, but figure what the hell its only 6 bottles.

Docklands stout got some cocoa powder in 6 bottles. Learned you need to fill a little, swirl to disolve and then fill the rest.
Coopers pilsner has 2 each of orange, lemon and lime zest.

I will try spices down the track, have plans for ginger, chilli and such.

I reckon spices in beer is kind of like electronic music. When I was a teenager I was really in to the out-there electronic music of the day, and lusted after the kit required to do it. Eventually, I got some kit, and learned that to make good music, it's not the kit that matters but good musicianship. Yes, it's possible to make fine music with electronic gear, but the cool noises only result in good music when used with a certain expertise, usually by people who play really well on anything.

Spiced beers can be fantastic. Spiced winter ales in Portland Oregon brewpubs in the mid '90s was one of the factors that got me in to brewing. But chucking spices in to poorly made beer does not turn it in to good beer.

Have fun. Make some "interesting" beers. Then learn to make a really good pale ale (or whatever). Once you can do that, you can probably learn to make really good spiced beers too. :)

T.

A wit (or wheat) kit is a really good base for fruit beers.

I'm surprised that no-one's said it yet, but adding real hops to your kits will make a huge difference too. A very popular addition that one . :p

As I only recently started brewing I havnt gotten to try any of my experiments but each batch I do 6 bottles. I know its not the same as brewing with it, but figure what the hell its only 6 bottles.

Docklands stout got some cocoa powder in 6 bottles. Learned you need to fill a little, swirl to disolve and then fill the rest.
Coopers pilsner has 2 each of orange, lemon and lime zest.

I will try spices down the track, have plans for ginger, chilli and such.

If adding spices or zests it is probably best to boil them first. Not saying you will get an infection, but it definitely increases the chance.

I have found that when using spices and zest in wheats and saisons, it is best to be judicious. It's very tempting to add extra, but you can't take it out once it's in there :icon_cheers:
Cheers, John.

As stated, less is often more.

One spice combo I've had success with in wheat beers and blondes is;

15g coriander seeds, crushed.
15g orange zest (just zest, not rind)
15g crushed ginger (from a jar is fine)
5g cardamom pods, crushed
3g star anise, whole

Add to the boil 5-10 minutes before flame-out & strain into fermenter. If you're adding to a kit, bring 2l of water to the boil, add the spices and let it boil for 5-10 minutes, then strain into your fermenter.

I'm a relative Noob, just making extract brews so this is pretty easy.

This will make a really cloudy beer though & I usually rack on to gelatine twice to clear it up, once finished it'll add a flavour that is in between Hoegaarden and Orval.

As stated, less is often more.

One spice combo I've had success with in wheat beers and blondes is;

15g coriander seeds, crushed.
15g orange zest (just zest, not rind)
15g crushed ginger (from a jar is fine)
5g cardamom pods, crushed
3g star anise, whole

Add to the boil 5-10 minutes before flame-out & strain into fermenter. If you're adding to a kit, bring 2l of water to the boil, add the spices and let it boil for 5-10 minutes, then strain into your fermenter.

I'm a relative Noob, just making extract brews so this is pretty easy.

This will make a really cloudy beer though & I usually rack on to gelatine twice to clear it up, once finished it'll add a flavour that is in between Hoegaarden and Orval.

Spice additions always seem to be added late in a boil - anyone ever added them to the cube? I ask as it is a popular theory that cube additions for hops are equal to 20-10min additions.

Less is more, agreed; BUT long-term, these flavours diminish (esp. if you strain the herbal solids out).

I'm a bit of a herbal whore and make the strongest ginger beers I can afford to. Really stimulating. Find it hard to sleep after a night on these.
Chilli's pass their heat on really well, I made a couple of chilli wine and 4 birds eyes w/seeds to the litre was just too much (though, a winter favourite and pleasant mixer).
Mints with cider, but again, very sharp, on the palette, in the empty gut.
Ofcourse, coffee and tea are regular additions in my brews, partly for the caffeine, colour, taste, preservative and as nutrient for the yeast to utilise.
And cloves, cardomom, coriander in small amounts can create very interesting effects.
Lime and coriander hard soft drink was the ultimate summer refresher and appetiser.

Yarrow and rosemary are strong, efficacious old-style herbs for their preservative and narcotic effects, I haven't used these, but am most keen to try.

Also, do try using extra hops if you hanker for the bitterness - you can make a real sedative, muscle-soothing sleep inducer with enough hops in the mix.

True that herbs, fresh and dried, can be a point of entry for so called 'contaminations', but I've found them to be generally benign contams and occasionally, even enhancing ones.
Remember it's general-hygiene, not lab-esque sterility that makes a good environment for the ferment.

And most of all, keep xperimenting, ignoring all commentary but your own, keep a record and think ahead.
Happy herby brews. :)

Less is more, agreed; BUT long-term, these flavours diminish (esp. if you strain the herbal solids out).

I'm a bit of a herbal whore and make the strongest ginger beers I can afford to. Really stimulating. Find it hard to sleep after a night on these.
Chilli's pass their heat on really well, I made a couple of chilli wine and 4 birds eyes w/seeds to the litre was just too much (though, a winter favourite and pleasant mixer).
Mints with cider, but again, very sharp, on the palette, in the empty gut.
Ofcourse, coffee and tea are regular additions in my brews, partly for the caffeine, colour, taste, preservative and as nutrient for the yeast to utilise.
And cloves, cardomom, coriander in small amounts can create very interesting effects.
Lime and coriander hard soft drink was the ultimate summer refresher and appetiser.

Yarrow and rosemary are strong, efficacious old-style herbs for their preservative and narcotic effects, I haven't used these, but am most keen to try.

Also, do try using extra hops if you hanker for the bitterness - you can make a real sedative, muscle-soothing sleep inducer with enough hops in the mix.

True that herbs, fresh and dried, can be a point of entry for so called 'contaminations', but I've found them to be generally benign contams and occasionally, even enhancing ones.
Remember it's general-hygiene, not lab-esque sterility that makes a good environment for the ferment.

And most of all, keep xperimenting, ignoring all commentary but your own, keep a record and think ahead.
Happy herby brews. :)

that sounds great! was the lime and coriander hard soft drink done in a kit? I would love a recipe for that if it was please - n - thankyou

No probs!
Lime drink not made from a kit.
Memory seems to recall...
6-10 limes + some zest
A dozen sultanas (or your yeast nutrient equivalent)
Two heaped dessert-spoons of dried coriander seed
2kg sugar

To 20 odd litres of water.

-----

Many herbs/spices are antibacterial, thus negating some of the risk they may have of bringing contams in.
Better than using meta-bisulfate at any rate.

One word of caution, the taste can be pungent enough, but many herbs/spices that are mildly effective when taken whole, tea, fresh etc. seem to be Exponentially more effective when brewed with.
Whether this is through some synergy or increased absorption thru the alcohol content or otherwise, it can knock you for six in a dozen different ways.
Brewing with psychotropics can bring you up face and close with the carpet as quick as two, three, floor and something as inconspicuous as parsley can be quite heavy when brewed in sufficient quantity.

Turmeric, thyme and bay have all worked well in diff styles of brew for me.
Turmeric in light fruit drinks, lemon thyme for unhopped light malts and bay for a faux cinnamon-camphor aroma to stolid stouts.
Nutmeg is a glorious flavour I find hard to overdo, but again, the synergy between it and alc is more drowsing than hops.

Infinitree if you were to put up some of your hard softdrink recipes I would be most thankful. I am experimenting with them at the moment (using oztops) and would appreciate some different hits.

Do you find the sugar adds an objectionable taste? I'm a big user of dex instead.

hehe, big user of dex :) good for what ales ya.

Sugar adding an objectionable taste?
I've heard it suggested before, but could not conceive of it myself.
If anything I've found dex to ferment out to an almost synthetic nothingness that I find lacks appeal.
And colour, body and those subtle sugars that do or don't ferment over long maturation are what matters most to me.
The more complex unfermentables residualising flavours the better, imho.

Apart from being a sucker for a good GB, (750g ginger, 2kg sugar, raisins, 2 lemons + 20L water) I've many a-time thought about giving up all brewing beyond varying ciders and meads for they have been untouchable in taste, natural sweetness and year-round ice cold thirst quenchers.
Important to get raw honey from biodiverse habitats if your craft-brewing with it, IME.

Something tells me the recipe suited for this thread would be the tea-hard-soft-drinks...
Lemon grass/Lemon myrtle/Chamomile/Green tea - brew up to normal drinking strength, add 2-3 teaspoons sugar per cup of tea (I make regular small batches)
Strain to fermenting vessel (I often go straight into the bottle I'll seal it in) and ferment approx half the sugars out of it, then seal in bottle and mature a few days.
A lightly fizzy herbal, lemony tea with 2% alc that goes down well at all serving temperatures.
Adding a portion of honey to the mix will add further alc %, but the roughness of this methodology is prone to bottle bombs if you use glass.

I've forgot one of the most important brewing spices, licorice root! Cheap from health shops and goes a loooong way in smooth licorice flavours/caramelly overtones and a different kind of mouthfeel. Good in stouts, but also makes a nice cider or tea-soft-drink adjunct.

In case you couldn't work out, I'm more of a herbalist who brews, than a brewer who utilises herbs. :p

Plenty of other hard-soft-drink recipes on this forum, Tanga - all of them good.

Turmeric, palm sugar and water is a popular (polynesian?) tea that I think would ferment out well.
Must try, I have six busloads of turmeric to play with and it does me a world of spicy good.

Hmmmm - alcoholic tea. I like that idea. Oolong (non-sweetened Japanese one) would be fantabulous! Much healthier than the alcopop mix I've been working on. How much licorice root would you recommend in 2L? - though I doubt very much that I'll be able to get hold of any, but you never know. =)

PS Definitely let me know about the tumeric tea turns out. It would be cheap at least =).

Turmeric tea as cheap? Costs $40/kg in my local store.

Prob just a teaspoon of whole licorice root to 2L (though depends on your taste, tolerance and type of drink)
If you get licorice root powder (also cheap from health food shops) though, use only the slightest sprinkling as that **** is amazingly strong.

A large part of herbal brewing is offsetting the damage drinking does to my body.
The logical next step is a herbal beer, liver tonic - milk thistle ale, anyone.
Potential to ease hangovers or use as a light hair o' the dog the next morning are also good uses of various herb beers.

Google 'gruit' for the full history.

Some great ideas have been given. I have been making infusions (coffee plunger and boiling water) but only adding it to the last few litres of beer at bottling (I bulk prime). This way you are not stuck with 20 litres of mistake. For example, yesterday I bottled a kolsch. To the last 5 litres I added an infusion of 3 gms of lemon myrtle, smelt great (my coffee this morning is a bit lemony :rolleyes: ).
If you keg you still can do a few bottles with the last few litres. I have tried chilli, basil, ginger, coffee etc. This year I intend to experiment with native Australian ingredients.
There is no reason not to brew 20 litres of a base beer and divide it into 4 or 5 lots at bottling and add different infusions to each. You can then do full batches of the "winners". Infusions at bottling seem to give a more definate flavour and aroma than do ingredients added at in the boil IMHO. Please note, do not add fermentable additions at bottling unless their carbonating effects have been calculated or bottle bombs will result.
Hope this helps.

Interesting thread, it's almost endless where you can go with brewing isn't it !

Check this beer out, would love to have a taste (hopefully end of this year as I'm planning a US trip inc Boston)
Kinda reminds me of KFC and the Cournels secret 11 herbs & spices haha

Samuel Adams - White Ale

Spicy yet smooth. Samuel Adams White Ale is brewed with 10 exotic spices: orange and lemon peel, dried plum, Grains of Paradise, coriander, anise, hibiscus, rose hips, tamarind, and vanilla. As an unfiltered wheat ale, Samuel Adams White Ale has a crisp and refreshing taste profile with the added unique character and complexity of our special blend of spices.

http://www.samueladams.com/enjoy-our-beer/...9f-0296bfd78d77

Back