Help with STC 1000 controller wiring help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Rude,

I have always been taught to use two screw BP's for earths too and think it's still pretty much the norm for most applications, especially when they are supplied with the component. It's only due to my taking on a new trade that has brought it to my attention as we need to know the regs backwards. Suspect the clause is a relatively new inclusion to the AS3000? Someone told me the two screws were for a time when A&N were solid but the earth stranded (bare earth system) and promoted more secure contact.

Twisted and soldered is still an acceptable join but solder cannot be used in conjunction with a screw tunnel connection due to differing thermal expansion between the metals.

But I'm just a fledgling Rude and I'm sure you'd teach me a lot more than I could learn from the regs. I bet you saw your fair share of vulcanised india rubber! Apparently Master's were selling a Chinese equivalent a couple of years ago that is due to start failing now with only 40% of recalled stock recovered. There's been suggestion of an amnesty for unlicensed electrical work by the home handyman in order to prevent house fires and electrocution.

Anyway, as usual, I'm veering way off-topic.

Cheers
Cam

If this diagram (which is well-proven to be correct and safe) is difficult then I strongly advise you not to wire it yourself. Otherwise - wire it up!

stc_1000_wiringdiagram_resized.jpg

G'day Nick and all,

I am wiring my STC1000 and found above diagram to be the most common in forums. However I found a few with slightly different setup for port number 5 / 6 / 7 / 8.

As per the above diagram port 6 and 8 are connected to "power in" cable where the port 5 and 7 are connected to heating and cooling outlets respectively . In some diagrams I found port 5 and 7 are connected to power in and the port 6 and 8 are connected to heating and cooling outlets.

Can someone clarify this for me please ? Is this really matters ?

Cheers

Im not looking at one as we speak mate but basically theyre a relay (electronic switch) so all its really doing is making and breaking a connection.
I typically bridge the supply to terminal 5 and 7 and havent run into any dramas.
Just make sure you know what your doing mate, electricity hurts.

My 2c is order a branded stc like Elitech (one i use) them cheapo ones dont last or / cant handle 240v. Cheers

I was lucky enough to have a home brewer in my area see my post re the STC1000 and offer to wire it up for me, which I greatfully accepted. After a couple of years I've graduated to a pre-wired Inkbird Temp. Controller (eBay) and keep the STC as a backup.
The Inkbird at around $50 gives you more peace of mind re any electrical fault that may occur from a bodgie wiring job with an STC.

Thanks for all your replies :) I kinda wanted to do the project my self and enjoy doing it. Its just the diagrams are little different when I compare them. Someone might understand them better than me. See the above diagram by bttjn shows port 6 runs directly to heat outlet and port 8 runs to cool outlet. on my previous diagram they are swapped with port 5 and 8 (picture attached) -- The diagram i followed represent below, little green circles show the differences. any thoughts ?

te.JPG

It does not matter, both are correct. When the temp is low and heat is required the relay between 5 and 6 closes and completes the circuit. Similarly with 7 and 8 when cooling is required again the relay closes and completes the circuit.

It does not matter, both are correct. When the temp is low and heat is required the relay between 5 and 6 closes and completes the circuit. Similarly with 7 and 8 when cooling is required again the relay closes and completes the circuit.

Thanks ianh for the confirmation. I wasnt sure if the relays needed power (live wire) to be connected in a certain direction. thumbs up for sorting that out for me.

AS3000:2007 clause 3.7.2.11(b)(ii) allows single screw terminals for earth conductors provided screws have an outside diameter of not less than 80% of the tunnel diameter. A few people got caught out for missing that clause when Clipsal stopped shipping 2screw connectors with junction boxes.

I'm not very handy with mechanical problems but the new STC 1000 controller wiring diagram has me beat.Can somebody tell me whether I'm better having an electrician visit or take it to an appliance repairer for them to do the wiring? Any assistance would be appreciated
I have a wiring drawing, it is very easy to wire I used an extension cord with the female end cut off for my main power in active (brown) terminal # 1 neutral (blue) terminal # 2 loop a brown wire from terminal # 1 to terminals # 5 and # 7 ( i used a double power point on the out put side of my unit ) from terminal # 6 and terminal # 8 run 1 brown wire from each connect # 6 wire to heat power connect # 8 to cool power. Loop a wire from # 2 to both heat and cool out run the earth wire to both heat and cool out. That is it wired ready to go. It will work great I have had no problems with mine it is a great unit for the price $ 11.26 at the door.

Attachments

• STC-1000_000020.pdf
    909.6 KB · Views: 57
I have a wiring drawing, it is very easy to wire I used an extension cord with the female end cut off for my main power in active (brown) terminal # 1 neutral (blue) terminal # 2 loop a brown wire from terminal # 1 to terminals # 5 and # 7 ( i used a double power point on the out put side of my unit ) from terminal # 6 and terminal # 8 run 1 brown wire from each connect # 6 wire to heat power connect # 8 to cool power. Loop a wire from # 2 to both heat and cool out run the earth wire to both heat and cool out. That is it wired ready to go. It will work great I have had no problems with mine it is a great unit for the price $ 11.26 at the door.

Eh Mick.......you might want to check the date of the post before you jump in to reply :)

Fair cop, mind you we often enough give new people a bit for not doing a search before posting.
At least Mick0269 who is pretty new has done a search, he has also posted a drawing that is safe, which is a step in the right direction.
Maybe a bit late, but wont be the worst post this week.
Mark

Latest posts

Back