Help with Koyt style recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kunfaced

Reaction score
I'm putting down a brew this weekend, but still undecided how I will mash the grain.
KOYT style

size: 2X20L
boil time: 90
est OG: 1.108
est FG: 1.013
IBUs: 22.8

5kg 50% pilsner malt
5kg 50% oats

@90 min 20g mosaic for 18.7IBUs
cube 100g saaz for 9.7IBUs

pitching ~1400billion cells of wyeast 2633 between two batches

based on the info from this site
The grain bill must contain a minimum of:
A minimum of 45% by wt. of oats, oat flakes or oat malt
a minimum of 20% by wt. of wheat or malted wheat
a maximum of 35% by wt. of Pilsner or Pale Ale malt.
At the moment I am just running with what I have. Next time I will follow those guidelines and add the wheat in. Also in regards to hops

Only the following older European (noble) hop varieties may be used:
Hallertau Mittelfrüh
Saaz Saaz
Tettnang Tettnang
Spalt Spalt
East Kent Goldings
Hop bitterness must be between 25 and 35 EBU.
I know I'm cheating with Mosaic, but I'm poor as hell and it's what I've got.

For the mash, I was originally going to precook the oats and then do a double protein rest before saccharification. But the following mash schedule was also on the site.

It is recommended to use a (thin) mash thickness of at least 4L/kg. to prevent clumps of dry grain forming during mashing.

The following mash schedule (tested on 100% by wt. oat beers) delivered optimal results:
35° C voor 20 min,
45° C voor 20 min,
52° C voor 15 min,
62° C voor 5 min,
72° C voor 10 min,
78° C voor 5 min.
No mentioning of precooking the oats. This is where I need help. Should I precook the oats or go in dry with the above? I'd love to hear about any other big oat beers you guys might have tried brewing, or if any of you have tasted a brew of this style at all.

If you are using rolled or flaked oats, no pre-cooking to gelatinise the starches will be required as that is done in the prep of these flakes.
If you're using whole oats or steel-cut oats, you will need to pre-cook them.

You may need to ask further questions once you know the form of the oats.

Yes to what Les said. I've brewed 60% oat MALT beers, and combinations of oat malt and groats in the same percentage range, but never gone with that high a percentage of rolled oats or groats. The oat malt beers get this real intense fruity/cola aspect to them. Many people interpret it as being sweet, although some of the ones I brewed were quite dry by measurement. I'd like to give something like you mention a go. I'm pretty sure it will be quite different from the oat malt beers.

Contrary to the lautering issues that come up with rolled oats or groats, oat malt has a very high husk:grain ratio and hasn't given me any problems in lautering.

This paper helped me a lot with the oat malt brewing. You may find something of use in it. I'd start with the mashing schedule suggested in the information you found. There's some similarities to the mashing schedule suggested in the paper below. When brewing extreme beers I generally try to use what others have learned as much as possible. My mash schedule was very similar. Don't be too surprised if you end up with a gray scum on top of your mash. Looks really nasty, but it's just all the proteins of the oats, I'm pretty sure.

View attachment Oat_Malt.pdf

There are also these two threads about brewing with high oat percentages that have some helpful tidbits, especially the first one. Pretty sure that's where I got the paper:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/63874-oat-beer-experiment/
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/78612-recipe-test-oat-ale/

Latest posts

Back