Help With Final Gravity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morebeer4me

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

This is brew no. 5, it has taken longer to drop in gravity than the first 4, could somebody please give me an idea of the FG i should expect

1 x Muntons Blonde 1.7kg (added to Ferm)
1 x Coopers Malt extract liquid amber (boiled 15min)
500 g corn syrup Dried(added to Ferm)
yeast US05

Extract boiled for 15min with
15g Amarillo @ 15
15g Amarillo @ 0
Cluster Tea Bag at day 5

Yeast pitched at 25 Degrees
OG was 1.048
Ferm fridge set at 19 Degrees

took 2 days before airlock started to bubble and continued bubbling
for 5 days. This is now day 10 and the gravity is 1.018. I believe this is a bit
high.

Should i just wait longer or stir up trub or just relax and have a homebrew
Can anyone suggest a FG with those ingrediants

Cheers

look on here for the extract kit designer spreadsheet. put in ur ingredients and itll give u and estimated FG.

is the gravity reading consistent over a few days? u could try repitching some more yeast, or just bottle it if the fg is consistent. itll still taste nice, just wont be as dry.

with those ingredients OG should be 1051, FG 1011, alc 5.3%

With so much corn syrup and all malt I wouldn't expect it to get much lower tbh.

look on here for the extract kit designer spreadsheet. put in ur ingredients and itll give u and estimated FG.

is the gravity reading consistent over a few days? u could try repitching some more yeast, or just bottle it if the fg is consistent. itll still taste nice, just wont be as dry.

with those ingredients OG should be 1051, FG 1011, alc 5.3%
Thanks mate will look for the spreadsheet, the reading was 1.020 3 days ago, will check again tommorrow

I'd say 1.018 is looking good just watch it for another couple of days to make sure :)

Good luck with it

I think 500g of corn syrup is 500g too much especially when using all liquid malt.

Your beer will end up very sweet and I doubt you will get much lower FG.

My choice would have been some crystal grain instead.

Thats by my taste anyway, you may like it like that. Many do.

Cheers

Won't the corn syrup just dry the beer out thou? Like corn sugar? (dex)

Corn syrup is just a maltodextrin, not fermentable very well if at all

Spreadsheet link HERE, I think it's the latest but not sure... it should be able to give you ballpark figures.

:icon_cheers:

Relax, it's only day 5.

I always wait 2-3 days AFTER airlock stops bubbling before taking my first FG sample, then wait 2-3 more days before retesting before bottling. My current brew is on day 15 and is ready for bottling tonight. You have so much CO2 in the roof of the fermenter that as long as you don't open it the beer won't spoil for quite a while yet.

Pcmfisher, I didn't really want it sweet, took advice from hbs re recipe, must admit I was warned in early posts that
It may be too sweet, however I blindly continued on anyway, opts, sample taste very sweet, I have since met with Ross from craft brewer and I am now trying some extracts and will start biab in the new year
Cheers

Relax, it's only day 5.

I always wait 2-3 days AFTER airlock stops bubbling before taking my first FG sample, then wait 2-3 more days before retesting before bottling. My current brew is on day 15 and is ready for bottling tonight. You have so much CO2 in the roof of the fermenter that as long as you don't open it the beer won't spoil for quite a while yet.

Hey robbomc,
Relax and have a homebrew, it,s actually day 10 but I get the drift, I was just a bit surprised at how different this brew was from the other 4. But after the feedback from this postI'm not worried at all, thanks for taking the time to reply

Latest posts

Back