Help with cheap kegerator setup...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeggie

Reaction score
I've decided to jump into kegging but I'm on a tight budget :)
I've sourced a cheap Fisher Paykel bar fridge and going to move the element to fit 2 kegs ala: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/68473-modded-fp-p120-will-two-kegs-fit/
Not initially going to bother with a font or anything, was thinking of just going a bronco tap or a pluto gun.

So.....

Should I go pluto gun, bronco tap (or neither?)

and

2) What's the cheapest place in melb to pickup a co2 cylinder, reg and 2 ball lock kegs (keg king? online)

Thanks guys!

I've got a bronco mate, just the one for 6 kegs. I have a chest freezer with an STC1000, and I just lift the lid and pour a beer. All I have to do is change the gas and beer line to whichever keg I want (I don't have a splitter... yet) and it works fine for me. $20 and you're done. I'll get more eventually.

re: Cylinder and Kegs, no idea.

Yep, go Bronco for sure. Maybe curly hoses would be ideal for a small space.

CraftBrewer second hand ball lock kegs are a bit over $70 each delivered for two or more. No affiliation, I just purchased some myself...

zeggie said:
Excellent, so a bronco like this would be ideal? http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4252

Just leaves co2 and kegs to sort out, keg king looking most likely
Yep, that's exactly the one I've used. Works great when you need to open the fridge door to pour a beer. The hose stretches out for the pour and coils back into place when finished. Nice and tidy! You'll need to add a barbed ball-lock QD to it.

jacknohe said:
Yep, that's exactly the one I've used. Works great when you need to open the fridge door to pour a beer. The hose stretches out for the pour and coils back into place when finished. Nice and tidy! You'll need to add a barbed ball-lock QD to it.
How long does it take to change to it another keg, or am i best buying 2 taps?

My preference is to have a tap per active keg. But I got by with one for three kegs while sussing it all out. Takes all of 5 secs to change from one keg to the other. Not sure how much room you have in that fridge though, you may have to lean the keg toward you to get it on. You'll get a little bit of the other beer left in the hose mixed into your glass but who cares.

To be honest, if you can afford two, get them.

Latest posts

Back