Help with car stereo purchase.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mondestrunken said:
Slightly off topic.

A friend gave me a lift the other day, and yes he had an original ye olde cassette player still going hard in the Toyota Starlet. Good times.
My folks bought a boat (ages ago) that was so old it had an 8 track.

Sorry to anyone who felt old reading that. I'm still getting used to the fact that my apprentices think I'm 100 years old.

mondestrunken said:
Slightly off topic.

A friend gave me a lift the other day, and yes he had an original ye olde cassette player still going hard in the Toyota Starlet. Good times.

431neb said:

Sorry to anyone who felt old reading that. I'm still getting used to the fact that my apprentices think I'm 100 years old.
anyone else noticed how novel it is these days to see a string of tape down the side of the highway?

In my day it was common place litter, these days it's nostalgic.

Nothing funnier than ejecting your mate's tape, abusing him for his bad taste and turfing said tape out the window at 100 clicks. he should know better than Ratcat!

printed forms section said:
anyone else noticed how novel it is these days to see a string of tape down the side of the highway?

In my day it was common place litter, these days it's nostalgic.

Nothing funnier than ejecting your mate's tape, abusing him for his bad taste and turfing said tape out the window at 100 clicks. he should know better than Ratcat!
Ratcat were great! haha

tape and pancil.jpg

431neb said:
That's nothing, My last boat had a bunch of Gregorian monks in the back of it.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Or the days when pubs only had 2 beers on tap.....
Oh **** off, your just being ridiculous.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Or the days when pubs only had 2 beers on tap.....

Move to Bundy... the pubs here still think imported beer is VB cause it's come from another state...

I don't know of any pubs with a craft beer on tap :(

mondestrunken said:
That's nothing, My last boat had a bunch of Gregorian monks in the back of it.
I won't ask how you turned them on...

MaltyHops said:
Kegwoofa!!!
MaltyHops. I was in the shed tinkering with the "KegWoofer" and I needed a place to put the subwoofer down and look what happened!

Kegwoofa!.jpg

Whilst it would be a waste of a couple of kegs, if I were a single man without the steadying influence of a good woman; I would be tempted to make a pair of these for the house.

I cannot imagine anything that might sound worse.

bum said:
I cannot imagine anything that might sound worse.

I don't anything about acoustic engineering, which become obvious shortly, but my old Landcruiser ute had zero mounting options for a decent set of speakers.
Then I discovered a pair of Sony's fitted snugly into the end of a piece of 6" SWV pipe. So I cut two pieces 500 long, fixed the speakers into the ends with heavy gaffer tape and mounted them behind the seats.

The result was as utilitarian as the rest of the vehicle.

You've got a better imagination than that Bum!

I'm not suggesting it's gonna result in anything "high fidelity" (funny movie that one). It just reminded me of MaltyHops comment earlier.

I've already had a car sound expert tell me that the subby I fitted inside my bar will likely shake it to pieces but as I have said to casual observers of my build, " If it ain't fun, I'm not doing it". Sofar I'm having a ball.

I plan to post the whole build when it's finished. If I ever get a font.

Cheap Chinese fonts anyone? Should I or shouldn't I? 500 buck vs 2000$. Hmmmm....

Edit grammar. Well sorta...

Dave70 said:
I don't anything about acoustic engineering, which become obvious shortly, but my old Landcruiser ute had zero mounting options for a decent set of speakers.
Then I discovered a pair of Sony's fitted snugly into the end of a piece of 6" SWV pipe. So I cut two pieces 500 long, fixed the speakers into the ends with heavy gaffer tape and mounted them behind the seats.

You shoulda bought a dual-cab hilux. A bit of ply wood behind the rear seat will happily hold 2x10 inch speakers. To some this might seem excessive, they clearly haven't driven down a highway in an old hilux before.

Dave70 said:

That is definitely a better option than the closed ended keg idea. You know when you hear a P-plater's boot rattling up your street before you hear the music, then the car itself (maybe)? That's what those kegs would sound like all the time.

Why not go a cheap jaycar amp to run speakers, and a Apple airport express? Stream music to speakers wirelessly..... All 240v... Couple of high level to rca converters to sub amp. Shop around and it might cost ya 120-140. Get an older airport express with a 3.5mm stereo jack output, hook it to existing home internet, and anyone that comes around can hook to the access point, and play music. U need a iPhone to okay music through them. New airport express's don't have a stereo output. I THINK! If your using 12v gear, cheapest way to get big power from 240v to 12v is computer power supply. Most around the 20 amp mark. Simply jump the 20-24 pin plug and it will fire up giving u 12, 5, 3.5 volts. I think u jump the green cable on the 20-24 pin plug to any earth (black cable) and it will fire the psu up like when u turn your pc on.

Oh wait,I can't be stuffed reading all the comments. Is this for a car or bar?? That above comment may be useless if it's all for a car. I'm on my phone so excuse my slackness for not reading all the posts. My phones almost knackered!!

Back