Help with car stereo purchase.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

431neb

Reaction score
I guess this is the best place to get an answer on this topic. It's vaguely beer related as I am fitting this to a bar that will house my keggerator.

Going to a well known retailer in a bright yellow building tomorrow to by a car stereo to fit to my new bar.

I'm determined to spend under $100 dollars.

I have speakers, an amp and a sub woofer already. So I need a "head unit" with iPod connectivity. After that I need advice. I'll leave the head unit gags to others (ooh bad pun sorry).

I know nothing about the speakers amp and subby as they have been promised to me and are unsighted.

Also while I have the ear of AHBs pre-eminent electronics geeks, will the sub woofer shake the shit out of my kegs and what is the likely result?

Here is a link to thd store. I'm leaning towards the JVC for 88 bucks coz it has a remote.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-gps-navigation/mp3-cd-tuners/

dont know much about the modern head units, but building the right enclosure for your sub is important

some subs are better suited to ported enclosures, whilst other are better suited to sealed enclosures, volume is important

see what the manufacturer recommends and use the online calculators to help if you have the driver's parameters

a good sub will not only shake your kegs, but also rattle doors, windows, light fittings, rafters and upset neighbours dogs

fully sick mate

Thanks DB, if is in a box already. I plan to cut a hole in the floor of the bar cos it's on castors and point the thing downward.

Maltyhops kegwoofa!!! I like that. Made me laugh.

s4ibDlz.jpg

Agree Bum. But I would like something with lots if flashing lights too. That's important. They're pretty.

I was in the market for a new head unit about 12 months ago. I found it worth my time to join: http://www.caraudio.com.au/forums/ and ask there.

Seriously, you wouldn't join that forum to ask homebrewing questions and vice versa. That said for a hundred bucks you're not even in the mid range market, so going for the best you can at JB HIFI will probably be about the best you'll do.

Good luck.

Thanks Phoneyhuh.

I'm not that fussed as I am being a total tightarse and just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing anything more stupid than I already am with my 500 kilo car stereo that happens to have beer on tap.

PS I need a pattern to laser cut into the speaker covers. Any suggestions? Something beer related I suppose.

Some one has to say it....
car stereo for car,
home stereo for home,
what the **** are ya thinking.

yum beer said:
Some one has to say it....
car stereo for car,
home stereo for home,
what the **** are ya thinking.
I'm thinking that with the addition of a few bags of ice my self contained bar would function as well in a cow paddock, front yard, beach, car park or warehouse as it will in my shed. I might rent if out!

Not to mention all the free shit in it ( barring the freezer - see ice comment above), including the lights, the speakers and the subwoofer are all 12 volt.

Come and see it next time you're in Melbourne.

Go an Alpine

I have always fitted them to my cars back in the mobile disco days. Still a good quality head unit but you can get them cheaper off ebay or crutchfield in the states but they dont ship to aus ( i had a mate in the states ship it over)

431neb said:
I'm thinking that with the addition of a few bags of ice my self contained bar would function as well in a cow paddock, front yard, beach, car park or warehouse as it will in my shed. I might rent if out!
A bit like this?

caddyshackbag.jpg
caddyshackgolfbag.jpg

bros-gift-guide-16.jpg

I think head units today are like falcons, commodores, samsung tellies, lg tv's, coles mik or woolies milk,. at a certain price point they're all the same and the technology is way above what human senses can tell any difference in.

pick ur price point, pick the features you want (ie remote, ipod etc) install and enjoy.

All done! Thanks very much people.

I think you are right printed forms section. It's playing MP3s only, it's cobbled together from spare parts, it's in a jerry built box and everyone listening to it will be pissed. They probably aren't going to be noting the clarity of Four Seasons or the 1812 Overture.

Settled on a JVC with a remote that was under 100 bucks with a three year warranty. Thanks Callum at JB in Chadstone.

One thing to note for anyone that is interested. The base model won't have very good compatibility with an iPhone. I went the next model up.

Now I just have to bring all the promised parts together and make some noise.

With the lack of progress I'm making on the font , I'll have the radio running first. The tail is wagging the dog - The most important element of a bar is the booze surely?

So, get grain mill running, fit thermowell to mash tun, wire radio, paint bar, fit font, fit drip tray and tile the top. WTF am I sitting here for? Kegs are about to blow too.

I might get a marine enclosure for the stereo just in case there is a mishap.

If you've already got an Amp, speakers & sub then why do you even need a head unit? Plug an iPod dock into the amp & be done with it.

Well **** me breakbeer where were you when I needed you?

Slightly off topic.

A friend gave me a lift the other day, and yes he had an original ye olde cassette player still going hard in the Toyota Starlet. Good times.

Back