Help With A Recipe Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schooey

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm kinda ashamed to admit, but I come from a long line of swill drinkers and have only been converted myself in the past decade. I have recently acquired all the gear to go AG myself after dipping a toe into the water and doing a couple of AG's with small pots and doing double boils etc... Oh the pain.. But I'm really impressed with a Nelson Sauvin summer Ale I did, I even went and bought a stubbie of Knappstein to compare it to, and bugger me its pretty bloody close.

Anyway, none of my extended family drink anything much other than good old Tooheys New and I haven't had much luck converting them. I'm having a bit of a gethering at my house in late Feb for a family occasion and I thought I might make a clone in a 50 L batch to feed the masses. Being new to this AG thing, I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to offer some assistance for a recipe.

Thanks and take it easy on the noob :D

Cheers

Being new to AG I'd try something like:
50% Pils
50% Ale
POR added at 45mins from end for about 15-18 IBU
63degC Mash

As for Knappstein, I thought it was probably one of the best made commercial beers I've tried, I'm just not that keen on Nelson Sauvin as a flavour hop, aroma was great though.

Hi Guys,

I'm kinda ashamed to admit, but I come from a long line of swill drinkers and have only been converted myself in the past decade. I have recently acquired all the gear to go AG myself after dipping a toe into the water and doing a couple of AG's with small pots and doing double boils etc... Oh the pain.. But I'm really impressed with a Nelson Sauvin summer Ale I did, I even went and bought a stubbie of Knappstein to compare it to, and bugger me its pretty bloody close.

Anyway, none of my extended family drink anything much other than good old Tooheys New and I haven't had much luck converting them. I'm having a bit of a gethering at my house in late Feb for a family occasion and I thought I might make a clone in a 50 L batch to feed the masses. Being new to this AG thing, I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to offer some assistance for a recipe.

Thanks and take it easy on the noob :D

Cheers

If I were doing that I'd use AndrewQld's Aussie Ale recipe subbing maybe a kg of base malt for some Pils malt using S189 lager yeast and ferment at 10C if you have the fermentation capabilities. Otherwise go the ale path using US-56 and ferment @ 18C.

Screwy

I agree with rough.
Mash low and keep it thin. Low IBU's.

Trick the megaswill drinkers.

cheers
johnno

Cheers rough. I just did another search and found this. Maybe I should have kept quiet and experimented :ph34r: Ahh well, maybe I'll just do Tony's LCBA clone and have another try at converting them :p

Thaqnks for the recipe tip Screwy. How do you reckon that recipe would go with your suggestion of subbing in the Pils malt and using POR hops all the way?

Also, is there an advantage of S189 over S23 lager yeasts for this style? Temp control is not a problem.

Thaqnks for the recipe tip Screwy. How do you reckon that recipe would go with your suggestion of subbing in the Pils malt and using POR hops all the way?

Also, is there an advantage of S189 over S23 lager yeasts for this style? Temp control is not a problem.

You might find that Pils aroma too much going that path but you could go higher than the 1 Kg, drop the wheat if doing a lager. Have only used S189 for Lagers. Feed 20g of rehydrated S189 to it and it'll be through it in 5 - 6 days, into CC for 4 weeks, bright as. As others have said mash low 63C if going the Ale path. Have found S189 to be highly attenuative in pale wort of around 1.050 so it'll be dry enough without mashing low, maybe 66C. Think you'll find Andrew's hop choice spot on for the Aussie palate. Could sub a very small pinch of POR for the bittering hops if you want more of a South Of the Border style, but keep the IBU's around the 30s, don't want to shock them. It'll be pretty close but boring as batshit (sorry Batz).

Screwy

Edit: Cos

Ok, will give it a burl once I get this rig built. Thanks again for the tips.

Cheers :D

I'd be tempted to try and find some schooner malt as its the predominant mega swill malt. I don't know from a Tooheys point of view, but if I were to brew a clone of a mass produced lager based on the other side of the mega brewer equation, I would go with roughly

75-80% pale malt (schooner)
15-20% Cane sugar
5% high maltose syrup (I think you can get high maltose rice or corn syrup)

Mashed at a normal to highish mash temp. Say 67-68C. This, combined with the fairly dextrinous schooner malt would leave the beer too thick, but the adjunct will take care of drying it out enough.

For bittering.. I'd use a pre-isomerised hop extract. But either POR or Superpride if you cant get the extract or really dont want to use it. Bittered low as the other guys have suggested.

Mega lagers aren't (in my experience) fermented cold like you'd think a lager should be, so unless you can get some mega yeast, I'd use a clean Ale (US-05) rather than a lager yeast, or if you are up for a liquid yeast pack, then maybe the Wyeast 2122 Californian lager, which is supposed to be lager like at up to 18C. Which sounds like the right sort of thing. Or I suppose whatever the whitelabs equivalent is.

Start it out at 12-13C and let it free rise up to 17 or 18.

Once its done, lager it for a little while but dont freak out about doing it for ages. A week or two will do. Shove in some polyclar and filter it. Nothing says "I am not mega-swill" quite as loudly as a beer that is not diamond bright.

Never brewed a Tooheys clone, or the opposition product as a clone either. But if I was going to, this would be my guess.

Cheers

Thirsty

If you cooked them Chicken, would they complain if it didnt taste like KFC or Red Rooster? Because thats what complaining about HB is eqivalent to.
Brew something you like too, but know that is not too weird that the more adventurous mega swillers will not - take a little sip - then a mouthfull - then drain your keg.
You will allways get sad little knobs who rock up with a little esky full of 'ascade premium lte' while everyone else is getting seriously stuck into the kegs full of BoPils, O'fest and APA, and stick their noses in the air and sniff.
So, use all base malt OG 1.040, no crystal or dark malt, 20 - 25 IBU, BUT; use an excellent flavour (0.5 g/L) and aroma hop (0.75g/L) - anything really, just something thats really good (EKG, Amarillo, Saaz etc) and use as suggested previously yeasts (s189, us56 or even nottingham). This way it will be a beer you are proud of, and you will not have any difficulty drinking, and it will taste like a super premium Tooheys to your masses.

Back