Any Beersmith Experts? I Need Some Help Please?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisluki

Reaction score
Hey guys

So i have the new Brewie system and it is a real step up from my old system in many ways, and I have found that there is a gap in my understanding of some techniques within Beersmith. I need some help please to convert some of my old recipes in Beersmith.

Basically, in the past i was a very simple brewer - mash in at strike temp, vorlauf, hotter water "sparge" and drain off...done.

Brewie has opened my eyes to the wonderful world of mash steps, more options with Beersmith, and continuous sparging. My problem is that I don't really understand some of the nuances of Beersmith, and how to add in sparge steps etc. I have used the 2 Step Mash profile, thinking that would cover the sparg...but I dont think it does?

Here are links to my recipe and my brewie equipment setup...any advice would be very much appreciated

Note: I am pretty concerned about the 22.65l fly sparge, but not sure how to change it?

http://beerhealer.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/My-Pale-Ale-Test.pdf
http://beerhealer.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/brewie-setup.pdf

Cheers

Chris

That fly sparge seems very incorrect.
So first I'd create a new profile for your equipment, then start porting your recipes over.

In the mash profile you need to set the water to grain ratio on your steps. Then setup the type it is, infusion sounds right.
You can add steps. To suit your desires

You didn't mention if it was on a pc or phone you're running it from?

Notes! Take notes on your personal set up is unique as every brewery has its own unique character.
I will boil first run off, batch sparge and boil off each addition to get to full kettle volume.
Consistency can only be achieved on consistent volumes and technique. The world is your Oyster for recipes.

Danscraftbeer said:
Notes! Take notes on your personal set up is unique as every brewery has its own unique character.

Consistency can only be achieved on consistent volumes and technique. The world is your Oyster for recipes.
Wot he said. Try a known recipe on your new system & get a feel for your new numbers. Test & adjust.

first step is to setup the pot in beersmith, measure out the capacity and dead space.

Next will be establishing your boil off through timed tests, then your efficiency.

Or just brew something known so you roughly know the numbers and then measure everything and plug it back into beersmith.

I would have thought the Brewie people would have a profile you could use as a guide?

Help get you started anyway, something you could use as a base then fine tune as needed?

seehuusen said:
That fly sparge seems very incorrect.
So first I'd create a new profile for your equipment, then start porting your recipes over.

In the mash profile you need to set the water to grain ratio on your steps. Then setup the type it is, infusion sounds right.
You can add steps. To suit your desires

You didn't mention if it was on a pc or phone you're running it from?
thansk mate...you nailed it, my profile was a bit off. I imported another users profile and it fixed my sparge numbers.

A gap in my knowledge and understanding of both beersmith and brewing was to blame.

Lucky there are forums such as this to set me straight!

Danscraftbeer said:
I will boil first run off, batch sparge and boil off each addition to get to full kettle volume.
Great advice, thanks.
I think that sometimes I am so pumped to be brewing I forget that its not something you can slap together...well you can, but you get shit results!

Moad said:
first step is to setup the pot in beersmith, measure out the capacity and dead space.

Next will be establishing your boil off through timed tests, then your efficiency.

Or just brew something known so you roughly know the numbers and then measure everything and plug it back into beersmith.
thanks mate!

sluggerdog said:
I would have thought the Brewie people would have a profile you could use as a guide?

Help get you started anyway, something you could use as a base then fine tune as needed?
There is a few bits and pieces floating about, but mostly by the users. I had missed a document talking about sparge and mash volumes, which has helped, plus another user has tweaked the profile a bit and that has also helped.

Latest posts

Back