Help With A Lager Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day, great site just stumbled over it a week ago and learn heaps already, cheers.

Have been brewing many K&K's with tea bag finishing hop and have found my beer to be a 5/10 IMO not really stacking up to the flavour I expect, so ive got some grain to use with kit for the first time.

This is what I got to use, any ideas on a recipe?

1 can coopers lager original
1 kg breweiser body brew
500g pilsner malt
500g coopers light dry malt
100 g hallertau pellets
100g saaz hop flower plugs
saf lager yeast. dry

intended to make a yeast starter with the LDM and not using all the hops in this brew. :eek:

haven't used grain before but have read on about using the six pak esky with 70c hot water for 2hrs? and then boil for ?? mins? adding hops. Have never dry hopped.

Got temp control frigde so was going to ferment for 2 weeks, 12c and do I need diacetl rest for a day at 18c before lager for 2-3 weeks at 7c

Cheers for any assistance.

G'day, great site just stumbled over it a week ago and learn heaps already, cheers.

Have been brewing many K&K's with tea bag finishing hop and have found my beer to be a 5/10 IMO not really stacking up to the flavour I expect, so ive got some grain to use with kit for the first time.

This is what I got to use, any ideas on a recipe?

1 can coopers lager original
1 kg breweiser body brew
500g pilsner malt
500g coopers light dry malt
100 g hallertau pellets
100g saaz hop flower plugs
saf lager yeast. dry

intended to make a yeast starter with the LDM and not using all the hops in this brew. :eek:

haven't used grain before but have read on about using the six pak esky with 70c hot water for 2hrs? and then boil for ?? mins? adding hops. Have never dry hopped.

Got temp control frigde so was going to ferment for 2 weeks, 12c and do I need diacetl rest for a day at 18c before lager for 2-3 weeks at 7c
Cheers for any assistance.

Hi toby.

Congratulations on extending your brews. It looks like you intend to try quite a few new ideas all at once, which can be tricky. I have a few tips for you.

1) To obtain the benefit of the Pilsner Malt, you would need to mash it. A mini-mash of 500g is a lot of trouble for little advantage. If you're keen on doing a mini mash, then use at least 1kg. Also, 2 hrs is too long, you only need to do it for about 1 hour at ~62-65 degrees C for a lager, not 70C. After this you will need to boil the resulting liquid for about 1 hour, to kill any germs which came from the grain.
Some people boil the kit as well, but if you do this you will need to add extra hops to compensate for the loss of hop oils which will take place during the boil. If you add bittering hops, they need to go in near the start of the boil. If you want aroma hops, add them a couple of minutes before the end of the boil.

Watch for boilovers at all times. The resulting mess is very sticky and a waste of potential beer!

2) No need to make a starter for dried yeast, just pitch the packet (preferably 2 packs). Save your Dried Malt Extract for another brew.

Your fermentation plans look OK, but ideally you would lager at 4C for more than a couple of weeks.

Hope this is of help

Cheers!

I'd be a bit partial to make something like a Becks...its probably my favorite batch so far out of the 7 I've done.

Coopers Lager Original
500g Light Dry Malt
500g Body Brew
15g Hallertau @ 15 min
10g Hallertau @ 2 min

This may get you close to a good target, but Becks really is an all-malt beer [just add 1.5kg LDME to the Coopers Kit, then add the hops].

With grain, I'd start off using some cracked crystal grain [200g], which you simmer for 1hr along with your other ingredients plus 1.5L water, and add the hops at the end of this. Put the pot into a sink of cold water to help reduce temperature and stand for 10 minutes. Whack into fermenter and fill with cold water to 23L. Stir/pour in yeast. Done!

Thanks for reply.

Question regarding lagering.
After a four week lager at 4 deg, and i decide to bottle. First I bulk prime and then bottle. Do i now need to store bottles in warm environment for two weeks to 2ndary ferment , if so at what temp preferably 18c?

If i was to keg, all it needs is carbonating and then ready to drink ?

I can't keg yet but its got me thinking. :huh:

I'd be a bit partial to make something like a Becks...its probably my favorite batch so far out of the 7 I've done.

Coopers Lager Original
500g Light Dry Malt
500g Body Brew
15g Hallertau @ 15 min
10g Hallertau @ 2 min

This may get you close to a good target, but Becks really is an all-malt beer [just add 1.5kg LDME to the Coopers Kit, then add the hops].

With grain, I'd start off using some cracked crystal grain [200g], which you simmer for 1hr along with your other ingredients plus 1.5L water, and add the hops at the end of this. Put the pot into a sink of cold water to help reduce temperature and stand for 10 minutes. Whack into fermenter and fill with cold water to 23L. Stir/pour in yeast. Done!

IMO the above ius about 0.5.kg short on fermentables. When i do a becks hewres my reciepe
good larger kit like 'malt shovel'
1.5kg of light liq malt ext
15g hallertau (bittering)
15 Sazz (finishing)
2 x Saflarger yeast
Make to 21L, keep between 23-14C is possible. 2 weeks in the fermentor.

Adjust as you see fit.

Back