Help Temperture For Start?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawz25

Reaction score
hi have problem its been two days since i made the batch nothing doing(air lock not bubbling) my original temps were 22-24c now my brew is just gone to 18c but was as low as 16c i have used blankets,wetsuits to keep him warm are these temps say 18c suffenicent for this lager i was told to keep to low 20s
Help please Rawz :unsure:

hi have problem its been two days since i made the batch nothing doing(air lock not bubbling) my original temps were 22-24c now my brew is just gone to 18c but was as low as 16c i have used blankets,wetsuits to keep him warm are these temps say 18c suffenicent for this lager i was told to keep to low 20s
Help please Rawz :unsure:

Hi and welcome Rawza,
True lager should be fermented around the 10-12c mark, but 16-20c should be fine. have you got a krautzen on the to of the brew? if so everything should be fine, you might not have a tight seal on the fermenter. What yeast did you use that can also make a difference. :beer:

Yes I agree with Turto - try checking that the lid of your fermenter is on nice and tight. Sometimes even if it's a bit askew you can get leaks out from under the lid and it looks like nothing is happening in the airlock. See if there is any foamy krausen on the top of the wort; this'll tell ya that it's fermenting. Other than that just wait a little longer. If you get no action by the 3rd day you may need to add another yeast sample.

Hi and welcome Rawza,
True lager should be fermented around the 10-12c mark, but 16-20c should be fine. have you got a krautzen on the to of the brew? if so everything should be fine, you might not have a tight seal on the fermenter. What yeast did you use that can also make a difference. :beer:
i have like a water drops all over the lid there is a frothy white on top still 18c airlock looks like a tight fit still very worried because most people are telling me it needs to be 20-24c i live 1h south of sydney

i have like a water drops all over the lid there is a frothy white on top still 18c airlock looks like a tight fit still very worried because most people are telling me it needs to be 20-24c i live 1h south of sydney
hi...what kit you using as in the can and did you add the yeast that came with it....
18-20/c is excellent for ale yeast (most cans come with an ale yeast reguardless of what type of beer it says it is on the can label...there are exceptions though)
as for people telling you to ferment at 20-24/c ....i wouldn't 18-20/c is fine for an ale yeast...if it was a true lager yeast (you'd have to let us know which kit your doing to see if it is ) then around 10/c is best
(read this if you want to know more okay i just finished editing it )don't get overwhelmed by it ....just move at your own pace with it ok ...
link
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...17640&st=15
cheers totoro

hi...what kit you using as in the can and did you add the yeast that came with it....
18-20/c is excellent for ale yeast (most cans come with an ale yeast reguardless of what type of beer it says it is on the can label...there are exceptions though)
as for people telling you to ferment at 20-24/c ....i wouldn't 18-20/c is fine for an ale yeast...if it was a true lager yeast (you'd have to let us know which kit your doing to see if it is ) then around 10/c is best
(read this if you want to know more okay i just finished editing it )don't get overwhelmed by it ....just move at your own pace with it ok ...
link
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...17640&st=15
cheers totoro
its a coopers lager in the green lid it had the syrup and gold packet of yeast that i put in at the end of the 19l i just checked the lid and i think that there was air escaping from the lid its a 27l coopers starter kit

its a coopers lager in the green lid it had the syrup and gold packet of yeast that i put in at the end of the 19l i just checked the lid and i think that there was air escaping from the lid its a 27l coopers starter kit
its got an ale yeast ...ferment it out at 16-20/c is best...

yeah, if you have foam on the top and condensation inside the keg like its "sweating" it is definatly brewing. my first kit from coopers was not airtight and my mates wasnt either but after both of our first brews they always bubbled so maybe they just need the rubber to bed in, also make sure you cut the edge moulding off the stem of the airlock as it will cause the grommet not to have a proper seal..

.....also make sure you cut the edge moulding off the stem of the airlock as it will cause the grommet not to have a proper seal.

True. I ran a stanley knife down the edges of the moulding on my airlocks (and my mates) to remove the sharp bit that sticks out, it should seal much better then.

Everything sounds fine apart from the no bubbles thing so don't stress too much! Your temp sounds fine as well.
If the yeast gets too cold it will basically just slow down and ferment less vigorously and eventually go dormant (ie less than 5 deg), if it gets too warm it will ferment a lot quicker but begins to make nasty flavours in your beer and will eventually die if you go too far over ~30 degrees. Just think which is better - a slow boring ferment that gives you the best tasting beer with the ingredients you have, or an exciting fast ferment that gives you beer that tastes like ar$e? :)

Give the fermenter lid a little bit of a tighten just to make sure its good and before your next brew smooth those edges off the moulding on your airlock.

True. I ran a stanley knife down the edges of the moulding on my airlocks (and my mates) to remove the sharp bit that sticks out, it should seal much better then.

Everything sounds fine apart from the no bubbles thing so don't stress too much! Your temp sounds fine as well.
If the yeast gets too cold it will basically just slow down and ferment less vigorously and eventually go dormant (ie less than 5 deg), if it gets too warm it will ferment a lot quicker but begins to make nasty flavours in your beer and will eventually die if you go too far over ~30 degrees. Just think which is better - a slow boring ferment that gives you the best tasting beer with the ingredients you have, or an exciting fast ferment that gives you beer that tastes like ar$e? :)

Give the fermenter lid a little bit of a tighten just to make sure its good and before your next brew smooth those edges off the moulding on your airlock.
i think it could be the grommit it was a ******* to get on even when i put boiling water over it before i put it on it also be what u were saying i will wait for the next brew if i stuff aroung with it ,it will be infected also iam using a wetsuit material and blankets to keep it at a constant 18c will this be good enough for a standard can of coopers lager also iam getting a bit of a smell out of the airlock that smells a bit like gas is this normal?

Where do ya live mate, I read yr thread about needing a capper. I just went out and coughed up for one yesterday. Tried to rent it from the bloke but no dice :mad:

you actually tried to rent a bottle capper :huh: i keg all my beers now,and i still couldnt live without a bottle capper.Just buy one and make sure its a pull down .

RAWZA just take a chill pill.... lol i was told that when i started brewing and it really worked. Ive always wanted to say that aswell :p Its fairly hard to stuff up a batch in my honest opinion. As long as you keep reading and learning along the way the batches will get better and better.

I havent even been brewing a year yet (october is my year anniversary) and no beer has been the same, no beer has been worst than the last. Every batch has been better than the last. Every batch i say geez thats the best one so far :beerbang: They just get better and better. Keep at it mate, and keep reading up on it.

Hell this is the only reading i ever do, aussiehomebrewer.com :chug:

Hell this is the only reading i ever do, aussiehomebrewer.com :chug:

Me too. My name is Mike and I am an AHB-oholic!! :D

Cheers, :beer:

microbe

[on topic]Bench capper!! Only way to go[/on topic]

its got an ale yeast ...ferment it out at 16-20/c is best...
Hi all,

i am in the same boat as Rawza. I got the same lager starter kit and have attempted to follow the instruction advice and keep the temp between 21 to 26. Even went out and bought a heater belt.

Will this affect the finished product if the temp is at around the 24 mark even for this lager?

Hi all,

i am in the same boat as Rawza. I got the same lager starter kit and have attempted to follow the instruction advice and keep the temp between 21 to 26. Even went out and bought a heater belt.

Will this affect the finished product if the temp is at around the 24 mark even for this lager?

Horra, as said above the yeast supplied with the coopers lager is actually an ale yeast, keep it around the 20c mark and your brew should turn out fine.
:beer:

Latest posts

Back