Help Please! Just Put Down A Big Gb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
Gday Fellas.

Just put a Brigalow Ginger Beer down a little while ago. I have done a Brig. GB a little while ago, there was something missing.... so this time i changed my recipie:

3KG Raw Sugar
3 Small Limes and the Zest
3 Medium Lemons and the zest
450 gms of peeled, freshly grated ginger

In a pot with 3 litres of boiling water added raw sugar, then the lemon & lime juice & Zest (200mls) then the grated ginger.
Added 2 x Cans of Brig. GB
Boiled for 30 mins took off the heat then left it to cool.
(1 Hour)
Poured carefully into the fermenter through a collander, added COLD water to final volume of 23 Litres pitched yeast and nutrient at 25C.

Is the amount of fermentables in this brew going to upset the yeast?? should i pitch a decent yeast with this brew to give the kit yeast a better chance??

How long ago did you pitch the yeast?

In the kit did you also get the yeast nutrient pack?

How much yeast did you add? Both 7g packs?

It doesn't look too bad considering a normal GB kit/kilo would be the kit and a kilo of sugar to 18 litres. You've put in a kit and a kilo and a half plus the extra sugars from the ginger and fruit but it's not crazy (if you used both yeasts). I think for future brews I'd consider using a better/higher quantity dried yeast but I reckon it will come out better than the average brigalow kit. You may get a bit of an artificial sweetner flavour although the half kilo of ginger might be enough to subdue that.

I guess you'll just have to wait and see/taste. If the ferment looks healthy enough in the first couple of days then relax and wait.

Yeh thanx guys! just a couple of hours into the brew she's nearly foaming out of the airlock! and i used both kit yeasts & nutrients

Any word on how this turned out???

i too am keen to hear reports..... I could mix alcoholic ginger beer with my bourbon :D

ok guys cracked a bottle this morning! this stuff is pretty strong! (too strong to have at 9 in the morn') definetly needs something to smooth it out a bit, maybe burbon but dont driveafter a glass. will save this 1 for winter i think.

and i wont be doing this with brigalow next time this has the same funny taste as the first brigalow i did. will do the same ingredients/process without the brig (maybe more lemon & lime), just do it with less water anyone suggest a yeast and nutrient??

Latest posts

Back