Help Needed From Tassie Members

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuffa

Reaction score
Just to introduce myself I am living at Franklin and have been doing Kits and extracts for a few years. I wouldn't mind getting into all grain maybe BIAB.
Is there any groups down here that have get togethers to share ideas and enjoy a beer.
Where is the best place to get bulk grains? Tas Home Brew seem to basically cater for for K & K.
I've been trying to find somewhere down here where I can get some Hop rhizomes but have hit a brick wall, any ideas where I can find some.
Where is the best place to buy equipment for all grain brewing?
Would like to hear from any Tassie members. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Chris

I hope he doesnt mind people giving his email address out - but try Sandy - [email protected]

I bought a kilo of saaz, and 2 rhizomes from him recently, for a great price. Saaz was sooo much cheaper than I can get here in Sydney.

He's in Lindisfarne I believe.

Cheers Alex

hey chris, welcome to ahb.
another place to get grains is brew by you. website isnt working atm, must still be fixing it up after they moved: http://brewbyyou.com.au/ozmerce/shop/repor...7&s=default

anyway, i know petr was looking at getting a bulk buy together. i'll ask him where he is at with that, it was a while ago so it you may have missed that one. if you are looking at getting a bag or so give brew by you a call anyway. they might be able to help out.

unfortunately not too many brewers down this way to get a regular group meet, and not enough free time either. we do have HOPs tastings at the new sydney though. next one is a couple of weeks away if you're interested.

as for getting gear for brewing i think most people scrounge around for bits and pieces. ive been using an old 40L steel container for a biag kettle and it works great. saves having to have multiple vessels and makes the whole process easier and quicker. cant help with rhizomes, sorry. let us know how you go.
joe

Sandy's the man - I bought a couple of rhizomes from him a week ago. Haven't much to add about the other enquiries sorry - our HBS in Launceston has a very limited range of grain.
Reckon there's scope to get a few local gatherings happening. Been feeling a bit regionally marginalised reading about the case swaps etc other states have going on so if someone is up for a bit of organising I'm happy to get involved with some swapping and swilling...

Hi Stuffa,
Welcome to the forum..
Well...where do I start...
1. There are no HB clubs in Tassie...I would love to get one organised..but the time I dont have..

2. The Hopsters meet once a month at The New Sydney Hotel...beer lovers get together..Next one is 18th September..the theme will be.. 3 Beer Barons and a Knight of the Mashing Fork..Trumers Pils introduced by Edwald ringer, next... Barons Native Range.. Lemon Myrtle Wit, Black Wattle Ale, Passionberry Porter. Followed by Belgian Real Pils introduced by Franck Berges..Knight Of The Mashing Fork.

3.Brew By You in Moonah for grains both bulk and Spec. got most of the hops you need. No Liquid Yeast in Tassie...No demand for it.

4. Sandy is the only local guy. Stew is now to old and retired...Or try EvilBay is your wallet can handle it...They can import here..the just need to fill in a form from AQUIS.

5. Equipment for AG....either make your own..or buy off some of our site sponsors.

Hope this helps you out.

Send me a PM if you want anymore info..

Cheers

Alex,Joe,Swizzle & Tasman,
Thanks for your replies and help. The Hopsters meet sounds good, a bit of a drive from Franklin maybe I can talk SWMBO into driving me. Hope we can catch up some time.
Cheers Chris

Hi Chris,
I buy my bulk grains from Brew By You in Monah when I get down to Hobart and get my specialty grains, hops and bits and peices from the AHB sponsors. For my equipment I made the bulk of it and bought the taps, hoses etc from local plumbing shops and the sponsors.
Have a look at the gallery of other peoples setups , it will give you a fair idea of what you need to go AG.
Use the search function or ask if you have any questions, nearly every conceivable issue has been addressed already some where on the site.

Cheers
Chris

Back