Help Needed Filtering Into Secondary?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjadeb1984

Reaction score
hi all about a week ago i put down a extrct and bits golden ale based on dr smurtos AG recipe. as i didnt have a grain bag or hop sock alot of crap including all the hops ended up in the fermenter due to my rush and not really thinking it would be much of a problem.

now, today i took a sample for a gravity reading thinking that most would have settled out by now, only to get a test tube of greenish cruddy beer from all the hop particles.

my thoughts were to rack to secondary with finings and crash chill and see what that brings but was thinking of filtering some how, i have some muslin cloth and was going to put that in a funnel with a tube from that into the secondary fermenter, so as not to airate to much, was wondering if this would be too bigger risk and also i guess i would have to sanitize the cloth somehow too?

any help would be much appreiciated as i hope to bottle this on the weekend.

Cheers Michael.

Taps often fill up with crud. Its always best to tip the 1st sample and draw off a 2nd sample.

AS glen said the hops will tend to settle i the tap. So when you bottle, the first one will have a bit of extra bits in it but the rest will be fine. If you're kegging and you're concerned about it just empty out a cup before you tranfers it. If it was me i wouldn't worry about it at all.

hi all about a week ago i put down a extrct and bits golden ale based on dr smurtos AG recipe. as i didnt have a grain bag or hop sock alot of crap including all the hops ended up in the fermenter due to my rush and not really thinking it would be much of a problem.

now, today i took a sample for a gravity reading thinking that most would have settled out by now, only to get a test tube of greenish cruddy beer from all the hop particles.

my thoughts were to rack to secondary with finings and crash chill and see what that brings but was thinking of filtering some how, i have some muslin cloth and was going to put that in a funnel with a tube from that into the secondary fermenter, so as not to airate to much, was wondering if this would be too bigger risk and also i guess i would have to sanitize the cloth somehow too?

any help would be much appreiciated as i hope to bottle this on the weekend.

Cheers Michael.

I would only filter with a filter designed for the purpose if I had one. I don't, so I don't.

Shit settles out with time. Cold helps. I wouldn't rack to secondary unless you intend to leave it there for some time (like a month or more). Rack to bulk prime or even just to bottle (if bottling) and you will get clear beer, especially with the finings and the cold conditioning

Or just use a siphon. I never use the taps on my fermenters/cubes anymore. Most yeast cakes form too high to avoid pulling trub through anyway...

In terms of bottling. Well if you are transfering to secondary as standard practice, crash chill primary then a week later siphon from above the yeast cake into secondary. Then you can hook up a racking cane to the secondary fermenter tap when you want to bottle and the yeast cake will be small enough and there won't be any hop trub at all. If you only have one vessle with a tap, don't use it for primary. If you don't have a siphon, buy one. :p

EDIT: I agree with Manticle on the 4 week minimum. My beer is no clearer nor better in any way when I use secondary but rack it any sooner than 5-6 weeks. If you bulk prime AND still use a secondary vessle, then you would obviously need to start in the vessle with a tap and play a game of peggle.

thanks for the replies, i will try running a sample or two more see if if clears then finings and cold crash the primary then siphon to bulk prime. what do you guys use to get a good siphon goin?

thanks for the replies, i will try running a sample or two more see if if clears then finings and cold crash the primary then siphon to bulk prime. what do you guys use to get a good siphon goin?

I put a clear hose from tap to tap. I have the fermenter on the table and the secondary on the floor. Tilt the secondary a bit to stop the first bit slashing.

Cheers

A few minutes of gargling boiling water should do it.

Latest posts

Back