Help! I think my yeast is no good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie72

Reaction score
Ok, to paint the picture, to start with I forgot to add my yeast nutrient in the boil, and then the yeast I pitched this morning was a 3rd generation us 05, it has been 8hrs and still no action. What do I do, can I save my American Ale or do I have to throw it out? Can I just put it back on the boil for 5 mins and re-pitch a new yeast??
Jamie

I take it you didn't use a starter. What sort of volume of yeast did you pitch?

I pitched some 9 month old slurry of Coopers bottle yeast that wasn't stored in the fridge and it went off pretty quick. Has taken about five days to go through a 1.5 litre starter wort. I used probably the equivalent of 1 heaped table spoon and it had a 1 inch krausen after 24 hours.

Ok I can put the Razors away, I went down to the local this morning and bought a new yeast. She is working now.
Thanks fellas for calming me down, I was a bit touch and go there for a while.... haha

hoppy2B said:
9 month old slurry of Coopers bottle yeast that wasn't stored in the fridge
poor yeast handling practice this, just mentioning it so that any learners out there that read this in future do not follow suit.

:huh: -_- :wacko:

Yob said:
poor yeast handling practice this, just mentioning it so that any learners out there that read this in future do not follow suit.

:huh: -_- :wacko:
Why is it poor yeast handling practice? The yeast wasn't washed, just for the record. :)

Go forth and wash your yeast

issues-with-soap.jpg

hoppy2B said:
Why is it poor yeast handling practice? The yeast wasn't washed, just for the record. :)
I'd tell you but you already know better... Makes no difference if it's washed or not..

Keep your yeast in the fridge (again, for future readers)

So does washed yeast last longer than bottled trub and what are the shelf lives please? (refrigerated )And if anyone has a better way of reusing yeast please let me know.

Cheers Jamie

washed yeast is easier to tell if it's going off (will turn darker from the top down)

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

use the re-pitching from slurry tab, plug the date in as the date that FG was reached, if you have washed/rinsed your yeast nad have it in a flask with the ml's on it, it's easier to guage how much actual yeast you have as opposed to guesing when it's there with trub.

Personally, I like to get as close as I can to knowing actual pitch rates. Both because its better yeast management and it's pretty easy to do so.

ed: typo

The yeast I used had come from an extract brew. Its my understanding that yeast from such a fermentation doesn't require washing. And so I normally will do an extract when I get in a new yeast and I don't dry hop it just to be sure.

I'm just putting it out there for anyone who is interested. 9 months is a pretty good result for a yeast that hasn't been stored in the fridge. If it broadens our understanding of what is possible then it is a good thing.

I realize it conflicts with popular opinion or the advice that is normally given. So be it.

I wouldn't advise anyone to do this... Extremely bad yeast management practice, power to you if you think it works for you.. Fine ok no drama.. Rock on..

Personally, I like to advise best practice not sub standard hillbilly antics such as mentioned above...

A 9 month old, unwashed, unrefrigerated slurry of Coopers yeast?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL2DScAhRVI

Is a six pack of green hard to source in SA? :D

It was just yeast from the bottom of the ferment vessel with the original liquid from said vessel.

I detected no autolysis, in fact it had a nice aroma.

Its easy enough to collect, and if its fine why not use it? I'm not saying everyone should go out and do it. I don't really care what people do.

Who knows, maybe its better than washing and storing in the fridge. Yeast generally seems to go off when there is microbial contamination. I wasn't able to save yeast until I started doing full boils with my extract brews.

Hey I'm just loving that anyone goes to the trouble of reclaiming US-05, the stuff's like $4 a pack isn't it? GOLD!

Latest posts

Back