Help for NZ Ale recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danicomix

Reaction score
Hi, i'm an italian homebrewer..for a local homebrew competition i'd like to brew a new zealand pale ale....what about this recipe?

NZ PALE ALE
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.012
IBU (Tinseth): 37
BU/GU: 0.73

MASH
52 °C
10 min
66 °C
60 min
78 °C
10 min

GRAIN
4.12 kg (78%) — Simpsons Pale Ale Golden Promise
980 g (18.5%) — Simpsons Munich Malt
185 g (3.5%) — Simpsons Crystal Light

HOPS
16 g (15 IBU) — Nelson Sauvin 9.3% — 60 min
32 g
(14 IBU) — Nelson Sauvin 9.3% — 10 min
96 g
(6 IBU) — Pacifica 3.6% — Aroma — 15 min hopstand @ 85 °C
24 g
(3 IBU) — Motueka 8.2% — Aroma — 15 min hopstand @ 85 °C
60 g
— Pacifica 3.6% — Dry Hop
40 g — Motueka 8.2% — Dry Hop

YEAST
wyeast 1056 american Ale / us05

thanks
Daniele

Looks pretty good to me
Only a matter of personal taste but I would like to see some Nelson in late, it has a unique character that I think typifies NZ, well at least for me.
On its own it’s a bit harsh as a taste hop, a blend of say 3/4 Nelson and 1/4 Pacifica is lovely. I would at some time be tempted to use that blend for Bittering, Taste and Aroma. Just work out the AA% (~7.9% for what you have) of the blend and treat the blend as a single hop.
Love the malt choice GP is my favourite UK base malt, you could probably get away with an isothermal mash, but if you can do the steps easily enough, probably worth the effort. Just at a guess, if you are getting your steps by heating the mash (programed infusion rather than hot water additions) I suspect your wort will be a little more fermentable, would expect it to finish to closer to 1.009-1.010, wouldn’t hurt, there might be enough Munich in there to keep the FG up, meh borderline, but should taste good either way.
Mark

Looks pretty good to me
Only a matter of personal taste but I would like to see some Nelson in late, it has a unique character that I think typifies NZ, well at least for me.
On its own it’s a bit harsh as a taste hop, a blend of say 3/4 Nelson and 1/4 Pacifica is lovely. I would at some time be tempted to use that blend for Bittering, Taste and Aroma. Just work out the AA% (~7.9% for what you have) of the blend and treat the blend as a single hop.
Love the malt choice GP is my favourite UK base malt, you could probably get away with an isothermal mash, but if you can do the steps easily enough, probably worth the effort. Just at a guess, if you are getting your steps by heating the mash (programed infusion rather than hot water additions) I suspect your wort will be a little more fermentable, would expect it to finish to closer to 1.009-1.010, wouldn’t hurt, there might be enough Munich in there to keep the FG up, meh borderline, but should taste good either way.
Mark

Hi Mark thanks a lot!
if I understand (sorry for my bad english) you suggest me to use a blend of 3/4 Nelson and 1/4 Pacifica without Motueka o left motueka in DH???
Thanks
Daniele

Just the Nelson and Pacifica, the two just sort of work together.
Motueka is nice but not outstandingly individual the way Nelson is.
Like I said just a personal taste preference, but the combo just screams Kiwi for me.
Mark

Like I said just a personal taste preference, but the combo just screams Kiwi for me.
Mark

Thank you very much Mark

Mark

Do you think so???

OG: 1.051
FG: 1.012
IBU (Tinseth): 37
BU/GU: 0.72

MASH
Temperatura — 52 °C10 min
Temperatura — 66 °C60 min
Temperatura — 78 °C10 min

MALTS
4.12 kg (78%) — Simpsons Pale Ale Golden Promise
980 g (18.5%) — Simpsons Munich Malt C
185 g (3.5%) — Simpsons Crystal Light
HOPS (222 g)
15 g (14 IBU) — Nelson Sauvin 9.3% — 60 min
5 g
(2 IBU) — Pacifica 3.6% — 60 min
27 g
(12 IBU) — Nelson Sauvin 9.3% — 10 min
9 g
(2 IBU) — Pacifica 3.6%— 10 min
48 g
(7 IBU) — Nelson Sauvin 9.3% — Aroma — 15 min hopstand @ 85 °C
16 g
(1 IBU) — Pacifica 3.6% — Aroma — 15 min hopstand @ 85 °C
26 g
— Pacifica 3.6% — Dry Hop — giorno 3
76 g
— Nelson Sauvin 9.3% — Dry Hop — 3 giorni

YEAST
Wyeast Labs 1056 American Ale 77%
FERMENTATION
16 °C x 7 days / 18 °C x 2 days

Mark

Mark what about water profile?

Well you are clearly heading in the direction of a hoppy APA or IAPA so I would modify water that way.
Personally I think it’s easy to overdo Sulphate, pushes in the direction of hop harshness, clearly no benefit to adding any carbonate.
Hard to know more without your water profile, these days you can build pretty much any water you want, just make sure you get rid of any Chlorine/Chloramines before you start.
Mark

I have attached the recipe for Te Aro brewery Razzle Dazzle pilsner some more food for thought.
Has some water advice as well, they get their water from the same supply as I do and this is our base water profile.
Kahu water.JPG

Recipe

I thought it was pretty good, very hoppy and just got pipped in the competition that I entered it in.

Have you made any of the Baladin beers ?

Attachments

• Te Aro Razzle Dazzle Recipe Final.pdf
    99.1 KB · Views: 35
Well you are clearly heading in the direction of a hoppy APA or IAPA so I would modify water that way.
Personally I think it’s easy to overdo Sulphate, pushes in the direction of hop harshness, clearly no benefit to adding any carbonate.
Hard to know more without your water profile, these days you can build pretty much any water you want, just make sure you get rid of any Chlorine/Chloramines before you start.
Mark

thanks Mark! my idea was to unbalance the ratio between chlorides and sulphates towards chlorides with a 2: 1 ratio to contrast both the bitterness and the hops

I was thinking:
Ca 110
Cl 120
So 60

I have attached the recipe for Te Aro brewery Razzle Dazzle pilsner some more food for thought.
Has some water advice as well, they get their water from the same supply as I do and this is our base water profile.
View attachment 120292

Recipe

I thought it was pretty good, very hoppy and just got pipped in the competition that I entered it in.

Have you made any of the Baladin beers ?

Thank a lot!
No sorry i know baladin and i've drink some baladin beer but I have not brew any Baladin beer!!!!!

Latest posts

Back