Help! First Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fancy

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to do 2 brews tonight, a "Coopers Mexican Cerveza" and something like a "Beez Kneez"
I have sterilized and have everything set and waiting to roll.
I have a can of Coopers Mexican, a can of "Morgans Australian Lager" honey and Brewbooster.

These are my problems.... :huh:

I cannot remember if the brewbooster is for the mexican or the honey beer!
I dont know how much brewbooster to use.
I dont know how much dextrose to add to the Coopers.
I dont know when to add the honey for the Beez Kneez.

If there is a patient friendly face out there that would be great.

fancy

Coopers recommend brew enhancer 2 (mixture of dextrose, maltodextrin and malt) with the cerveza.

I don't know if the other ingredients will get you close to beez kneez.... How much honey do you have?

I have 600gm of honey.

I was also sold a pack of "Pride of Ringwood hops and I cannot remember if it is for the Mexican or the Honey beer. Any ideas?

Thanks heaps

Hmmmmm.... Probably neither. What are all the ingredients (and quantities) you have?

STOP[/u]

Throw away the cerveza kit yeast and go to your LHBS and get US-05.
You will thank me later, the brew will be far better.
Cerveza with kit yeast is really twangy...
That brew needs good yeast and a long bottle storage time to come good

STOP[/u]

Cerveza with kit yeast is really twangy...

Its metallic from memory!!

Just do what you need to do fancy... first 3 brews will be beer.. maybe not good but beer non the less!

;)

Edit: Re-read - sounds negative.. sorry! Your beer will be better than you can buy!

Hmmmmm.... Probably neither. What are all the ingredients (and quantities) you have?

1 can of Coopers mexi cerv...
Coopers yeast
1.25 Brewers boost
1 teabag of finishing hops
1 pack of Enzyme (for low carb)

and

1 can of Morgans Australian Lager
1 can of Thomas Coopers wheat malt extract (1.5kg)
Wheat beer yeast
600gm honey

I have just chucked everything in (so to speak) and made up my Mexi Cerv brew, fingers crossed its all good.
I will definitely go and grab the US-05 yeast from now on.

Its metallic from memory!!

Just do what you need to do fancy... first 3 brews will be beer.. maybe not good but beer non the less!

;)

:lol: thanks. I am expecting to make a few mistakes.

Try to keep the temp around 18 degrees if you can, and let it fully finish out and settle before bottling. My main mistake early on was bottling from the primary vessel and not waiting for the beer to clean itself up, These beers had significant amounts of yeast. Give it a full two weeks if you can.

Mistakes are a given, but it will pay to use better ingredients and techniques that manufacturers would prefer you didn't know. Brewing is a freaking marvellous hobby.

Hey Fancy,

That said, the reason I started home brewing was a Mexican kit beer a mate gave me..

I remember thinking, F*ck - how can beer be so good and cheap! Off to buy a coopers kit etc.. Now AG, BIAB, and am building up 3 vessel rig as I type..

AND you get to learn about a heap of stuff to boot!

This forum will supply all the info you need to end up with a palatable beer...

How good is beer!

:chug:

EDIT: Bizier, nailed it!

Cocko
How good is beer!
:chug:

EDIT: Bizier, nailed it!

Beer is bloody awesome :icon_cheers:
What is BIAB and Ag?

AG = All Grain!

All Grain = Just brewing with grain, hops and yeast! NO kits, sugars and or brew enhancers! Do a search...

BIAB = a cheaper, as far as gear goes, way to brew AG beer! 58 pages but invaluable info!

Sorry, shouldn't have said anything... I probably just cost you 6 months. $300 and the ability to never drink megaswill again!!

OK, too soon, lets get your current beer sorted!

AG = All Grain!

All Grain = Just brewing with grain, hops and yeast! NO kits, sugars and or brew enhancers! Do a search...

BIAB = a cheaper, as far as gear goes, way to brew AG beer! 58 pages but invaluable info!

Sorry, shouldn't have said anything... I probably just cost you 6 months. $300 and the ability to never drink megaswill again!!

OK, too soon, lets get your current beer sorted!

haha, yeah out of my league for a while.

I just have one unanswered question left.
When do I add the honey for a honey beer? Do I add it at the beginning when I put the water in?

I have never added honey to a brew, sorry....

Someone will surely help.

Fourstar is good with this kinda stuff!

Sorry couldn't be more help!

I have never added honey to a brew, sorry....

Someone will surely help.

Fourstar is good with this kinda stuff!

Sorry couldn't be more help!

You have been a lot of help, as others have too :)
Thanks heaps :beer:

I Hope so all tho can't see how..

Original Q's:

You need about 1 - 2 Kgs of sugar/fermentables in your Mex. NB: NO WHITE SUGAR!! ONLY use LDME or DEX!

Otherwise I think you will nail it! although by now surely you have them mixed up, lid on and staring at your airlock waiting for that first bubble? :p

Don't stress mate, all will be fine....

Brew, read, brew better, ask, brew... AND so on!

Welcome to AHB!

There are a few posts here about adding honey but the search function doesn't work so well so it's better if you google 'aussiehomebrewer.com + honey' or something similar.

From memory more people suggested that the flavour is stronger if added later (eg part way into fermentation) as the flavour does dissipate over time. If you do add part way into ferment, make sure you use a hydrometer to measure stable gravity as honey contains sugar and will add to fermentation time.

Cocko
You need about 1 - 2 Kgs of sugar/fermentables in your Mex. NB: NO WHITE SUGAR!! LDME or DEX!

I added 1.25kg of brewbooster. I hope that is what you mean :unsure:

There are a few posts here about adding honey but the search function doesn't work so well so it's better if you google 'aussiehomebrewer.com + honey' or something similar.

From memory more people suggested that the flavour is stronger if added later (eg part way into fermentation) as the flavour does dissipate over time. If you do add part way into ferment, make sure you use a hydrometer to measure stable gravity as honey contains sugar and will add to fermentation time.

Yes I have noticed the "search function" is basically "up sh*t creek". I assumed the honey question has already been asked more than once but the search was quite jumbled when I went looking. Thanks for the info. I will add it part way through and check with a hydrometer.

Here's two threads (both from google not search function)

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=20293
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=21929

Maybe some tips in either one?

I added honey to a stout and while I could taste it, I think it was out of place. My dad keeps bees and has given me many a jar - I just stuck 500 mL or so in primary. I also added coffee and chocolate and found the whole thing needed to be stripped back somewhat. Tasted good but didn't really need so much. You live and learn

A good thing that's been suggested here with flavour additives is taking a glass of a basic beer you like (similar in style to that which you want to make) and adding small amounts of your desired flavour to see if you like it.

Yep. Relax bro.. All will be beer!

Just checkin you know that with a name like "fancy" that I am a girl :p
Or is that a figure of speech?
BTW I dont mind if you call me bro, just checkin you know I'm of the superior sex
:lol:

Back