Hello, New Member And Tropical Temp Question.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the lager was disgusting, really really bad.. it did taste like what I guess spider bum juice would taste like (someone mentioned that on here).

lol i have had a couple like this. not for a while though, i put it down to changing my sanitiser becuase i havent had one since.

did it look easy to hook up the STC as i am planning on getting one?

cheers jake.

lol i have had a couple like this. not for a while though, i put it down to changing my sanitiser becuase i havent had one since.

did it look easy to hook up the STC as i am planning on getting one?

cheers jake.

yep there's whole walk throughs on this site.

G'day guys,

New to the forum and I've been brewing for a few years down south, now I've moved back home to QLD and I have a couple of questions.

1. I'm aware that Lager brews better in cooler climates, does that mean my Lager will be crap-house if brewed here or quite drinkable? Should I really take the time to make the wort cooler or don't bother? The best way I've heard of is a towel soaked in water, drawing extra water from the wort lid with a fan blowing on the towel. Any better ideas, or don't bother.

2. The first brews I put down here (in ambient temperatures of about 30 degrees celsius) only bubbled for about 1.5 days then went quiet, they bubbled along nicely so I'm guessing that the heat made fermentation happen very quickly, so should I still wait for about 7 days before bottling or just a few days?

I'm only using kits (Brewcraft and Blackrock) at the moment and generally use the packet yeast, although sometimes I include better yeasts and hops etc.

Thanks guys, keen to hear from some other brewers up here in the tropics (Cairns).

Nicko.

Hi Nicko,
I've brewed kits for a number of years here in Darwin. At the moment I've got a larger fermenting, which has been going for the last 5 days, at a pretty constant 26 deg C. It is destined for my first attempt at kegging. :D Whilst it is the dry season here at the moment, in the wet, my fermenter will read 28-29 deg C. I've never had a bad brew, though some are more outstanding than others, and never used a fermenting fridge.The trick is to use yeast that is designed to work in hotter environments and to keep the temp of the fermenting brew constant.
I get my brew kits from ozbrew here in Darwin. They specialize in brewing and brewing supplies for the tropics. Check out their website at http://www.ozbrew.com.
Cheers
Mark.

hey why aren't you guys in the tropics making saisons?

Not sure I would agree with you vfavictory never tried Lager here in the tropics but I brew ales at 18C in a wine fridge. Did see here that Bacchus brews a Lager at 19C though.

Never tried a Saison here getting icy cold here 15C-25C night day.

Back