Hello from a brewer in melbourne.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spirits

Reaction score
Hey guys, My name's Robbie. I've been brewing for a little while now and I feel it's time to move on from my experiments, and get a little educated in the art of brewing.
So far i have done 2 different batch's of cider, a ginger beer and a wash for distilling.
I have a preference to not use additives where possible, but I could change that for floavours sake...
Due to this, both my ciders have been quite dry, which i don't mind too much, because at the point of drinking, i just add a little fresh apple juice which makes it really nice.
One common thing i have noticed with my ciders is that they both had a bit of a funny aroma. The first batch i did I used a champagne yeast that dried it out well and truly and left a bit of a smell, the next one i did i used a fruit wine yeast to try and keep a bit more of the sugars. This one had a very strong aroma and was quite undrinkable until a month in the bottle.
What is the cause of this and is the answer just to age the cider for longer?
The most recent brew i have done is a ginger beer sweetened by malt, using a lager yeast. In the later stages of fermentation i got a REALLY breaddy smell from this, so i looked up what i should do and somewhere reccomended i leave it in the fermenter for nearly a month. a few weeks in i have now tasted it and somewhat surprisingly the flavour is really sour! I can taste almost no sugar, but when i tested it with my spectrometer i got a reading of .035!!! shouldn't that still be sweet? and what caused it to go sour?

Thanks for your time guys!

Sour is a source of bacteria....
What are you cleaning and sanitising your gear with ?
Are you opening your fermentor lid to test your samples ?

Well that's crap!

I'm using the stuff from the brew store (beer essentials sanitiser). No I haven't opened it up, so I'm a little confused...

Is it still ok to drink, or should it just be used for distilling?

Re the ciders, are you using temperature control?
What are you using for the juice?

Yeah, I'd be interested to hear if your fermentations are in a temperature controlled environment also… too hot, and your brew can get a little smelly, too cold and it won't ferment.

Also, there are yeasts out there which are specifically for ciders.

Spiesy said:
Also, there are yeasts out there which are specifically for ciders.
I have found wine yeasts better for cider.

There is a difference between clean and sanitary , bloke....

Okay bloke .. Just googled your "sanitizer "
It's shit... It's active ingredient is used in napisan
Have a look at iodopher or brew shield or star San
You clean first then you sanitise

Okay.. I stand corrected
What are you cleaning with , then ?
I reckon if you have a "sour" taste there is a prob somewhere ....

its a 3% hydrogen peroxide no rinse.
only reason i can think of for this batch to go sour is that after my last batch i left the fermenter for a bit, and a bit of mould grew in there. Obviously gave it a good clean out... but not well enough? What is the exact cleaning process i should be going through?

Well that's weird... I mixed a little malt and ice in before drinking, and it actually tastes pretty darn good! It certainly still has a more of a sour taste going on than regular ginger beers have, but nothing unpalatable...
I'm not sure if i should save it now for drinking :/ or if i should go ahead and still it...

Spirits said:
or should it just be used for distilling?
illegal in oz and wrong forum to discuss

Latest posts

Back