Hefeweizen recipe - thoughts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah that article is pretty old so who knows whether some breweries have moved away from using a separate yeast since then

Would be pretty easy to see whether or not it's a hefe yeast. Pitch some recultured yeast into a starter, krausen = hefe, no krausen = lager.

seamad said:
Would be pretty easy to see whether or not it's a hefe yeast. Pitch some recultured yeast into a starter, krausen = hefe, no krausen = lager.
That's pretty much a generalisation that's not always correct, as most lager yeasts throw a krausen at ale ferment temps, and some are even good for top cropping at lager ferment temp.

Good attempt. C+

This has almost finished 2 weeks in the primary fermenter. Just tasted the sample used to check the SG and I'm really happy with the taste, very much reminiscent of Fransiskaner which was what I was aiming for. Will bulk prime and bottle this weekend and I'm looking forward to tasting the final product.

Brew day was interesting, my probe thermometer had decided it wasn't going to work so I was stuck with my infrared thermometer which can give some very fluctuating temps. So pointing it at the pot and going for a high average temperature seemed the best course for this 4-step mash profile. Considering the tasting after primary I think I must have done pretty well as it has that great balance of clove and banana. It also means going with Wyeast 3638 was a good choice (thanks Lez!).

I must have added a little too much extra water during the sparge as after the boil I ended up with about 12L into the fermenter instead of 11L, the OG was meant to be 1.050 but it ended up at 1.044. Unfortunately it makes it difficult to calc the efficiency but I think I might need to ask for a slightly finer crush next time.

It has been pretty warm here in Sydney and it mostly fermented at around 21 degrees. I can say now that fermenting at that temp hasn't unbalanced the flavours, so I wonder if the sweet spot for this yeast is a little wider than most people think?

Another suggestion to drop the extra hop additions and just do the 60 minutes additions was spot on and the bitterness levels at 15 IBUs is perfect.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks with some tasting notes once carbing is complete.

Latest posts

Back