Hefe Recipe. Is This Ok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homekegger1

Reaction score
Just about to do my second AG brew. A Hefe. Here is the recipe and schedule. Does this sound alright or do I need to fix it.

3kg Pale wheat malt
1.5kg Pilsner Malt
20gm Hallertauer 30mins
20gm tettnang 15mins
20gm Spalter 10mins

Mash at 70degrees for 45mins

Wyeast 3068

Syphon off 2ltr of Wort.(from boil) Cool and refrigerate until time to keg/bottle. Add second yeast to saved wort. Add evenly to bottles or add completely to keg. Allow to naturally carbonate for 14 days. then CC for 21 days at 7degrees.

Cheers guys

HK

I would drop the mash tempreture to about 67, giving it a bit more body. Hefeweizens are usually/traditional made using a decoction mash, giving body to the final product.

What temp are you fermenting at? I would, if you want good banana/spicy notes, ferment at about 22-23c, with that yeast it will ferment out quickly and give a great hefe nose.

The recipe looks okay. Maybe one of the hop additions could be left out, maybe tetnang, as this style is very much driven by the wheat and the flavours produced by the yeast.

But, in saying all of this...

Homebrewing is a hobby in which experimentation is not only encouraged but is the way to go. The natural carbonation looks interesting, I may try that myself when I next make a hefe. Do you know what sort of volume of CO2 you will get in the final product with this? You want it to be eppervessant, effervessant, have lots of bubbles.

Recipe looks pretty good except for 1 thing

too much hops and at the wrong time

hefes need less than 20ibu bitterness. The variety of hops you have are fine but you also don't need flavour or aroma hops for a hefe - a hefe is all about the yeast.

So I would just do a 60minute hop adition to about 18 ibu and leave it at that - Hefes are so simple but very nice !!

lou

We have a resident Weizen expert Les who might be around to help out, but in the mean time you're stuck with the rest of us :lol:

70 degrees is on the high side for the mash. My last hefe was 67 and I think it was almost spot on.

Also, if you have no rice (g)hulls, stop what you're doing and go get some from the HBS. Otherwise you are going to have a long and frustrating brewday. Ask me how I know!

Last thing, most hefe's derive the flavour from the yeast rather than the hops. So by having so many late additions I wonder what yours will taste like. I would move the 30min addition to 60mins, and drop one of the other additions. (Hopefully you are doing a 60 or 90 min boil because of the Pilsner malt?)

Happy brewing!

I find that a small portion also of Munich malt goes really well in a weizen - also a tiny touch of acidulated as wel :

Definatly dont need that much hops ... i almost never use flavour or aroma, and maybe then only jsut a bit of hersbrucker around the 10-5 minute mark, if at all!

Also, the Perle is a awesome bittering hop for Weizens I've founds, better than the hallertauer

66/67 c mash temp is ample,and no matter what you should mash for 60 min as an absolute minimum,90 min is better.3 litre per kg ratio of water to grain.
the hopping is up to your personal prefs ,but 18/20 IBU with one addition be it 60 or 30 min is all thats required really.

Keep you r ferment temps at 18/20c unless you like heaps of banana.20 and just below keeps it better balanced.

I think the big banana ester flavours is what makes hefeweizens so great. :D

I would drop the mash tempreture to about 67, giving it a bit more body. Hefeweizens are usually/traditional made using a decoction mash, giving body to the final product.

What temp are you fermenting at? I would, if you want good banana/spicy notes, ferment at about 22-23c, with that yeast it will ferment out quickly and give a great hefe nose.

The recipe looks okay. Maybe one of the hop additions could be left out, maybe tetnang, as this style is very much driven by the wheat and the flavours produced by the yeast.

But, in saying all of this...

Homebrewing is a hobby in which experimentation is not only encouraged but is the way to go. The natural carbonation looks interesting, I may try that myself when I next make a hefe. Do you know what sort of volume of CO2 you will get in the final product with this? You want it to be eppervessant, effervessant, have lots of bubbles.

From what I have read, the Hefe is lightly carbonated. The idea for the 2ltr syphon and add yeast is from BYO on Hefe beers. Found this interesting and thought I might try it. As for the grain bill and hop additions, they were mine and just a guess. From what you boys say, ease up on the hops and lower the mash temp.(Which I got off Beer smith) I can't wait till I am able to do these things without question. I can cook a mean meal without a recipe, but I reply on what a program tells me to make beer.....

As for Seth, your opinion in this matter is anticipated and awaited. I look forward to your feedback.

Cheers

HK

G'day HK,

Good to see someone brewing some wheat beer.

I recently bottles some Schneider weisse clone and it's pretty bloody good.

I'm getting my ag weizen technique under control and starting to establish some guidelines.

As others have said, the beer is about the yeast and malt, so only about 14-18 IBUs, and usually a 60 min boil. Sometimes I have been known to add hops later, and find that only about 10g of a noble hop (Tettnang on several occasions, but once used Amarillo) at 15 min gives me the right flavour. More often though, I just use bittrering hops.

The Schneider-copy had some Caramunich and some Vienna, and I have used Carapils in some others, but it's not necessary, just there for some different flava.

I'll confirm that 66/67 C seems to produce the right amount of body. Do you have capacity to do a step mash or decoction (not now, but in later brews)?

I have brewed numerous 60/40 Wheat/pils beers and did not need any rice gulls, but it pays to chuck some in if any locals are using them. You'd be silly to ignore local knowledge.

Ferment at up to 20 C. No point going too warm until you start to experiment.

Keep it basic. Stick to the rules (that work for local brewers) and you'll be happy with a good standard hefeweizen. If you like more hops, put 'em in next time. If you want more body, save it for another try.
I reckon it's best to get a good idea of what your baseline beer is B4 U kick it up a notch.

Seth :p

G'day HK,

Good to see someone brewing some wheat beer.

As others have said, the beer is about the yeast and malt, so only about 14-18 IBUs, and usually a 60 min boil. More often though, I just use bittrering hops.

I'll confirm that 66/67 C seems to produce the right amount of body. Do you have capacity to do a step mash or decoction (not now, but in later brews)?

I have brewed numerous 60/40 Wheat/pils beers and did not need any rice gulls,

Ferment at up to 20 C. No point going too warm until you start to experiment.

Keep it basic. Stick to the rules (that work for local brewers) and you'll be happy with a good standard hefeweizen. If you like more hops, put 'em in next time. If you want more body, save it for another try.
I reckon it's best to get a good idea of what your baseline beer is B4 U kick it up a notch.

Seth :p

The SAGE has spoken......Take his advice seriously!

Glad to see we are on the same page "O'Weiz One" :super:

Just started step mash me self for that extra dimension.

relax HK brewing a weizen is easy,brewing a good one is harder......I'm still tryin.

Dave.

Also, if you have no rice (g)hulls, stop what you're doing and go get some from the HBS.

I saw that :p

I have made a few great wheat beers...... i love the dunkelweizens but a Heffe is always a top beerfor the summer.

I have a pack of 3068 in the fridge waiting duty and have been doing a lot of reading and thinking on the subject.

The germans seem to use up to 10% carahell (caramalt) in theirs and decoction mash for body without sweetness which comes with high mash temps due to lower attenuation. You want a highly atenuable wort but with a rich malt character and some body.

I have a heffe planned using about 60 to 70% wheat malt, 5% JW caramalt (its darker that carahell but its what i have) and the rest pils. the caramalt is like roasted carapils. it adds body and and malt character and a bit of colour so it dont look like wattered down pee. I have made 60/40 and 70/30 wheat beers but they always lack something. the dunkelweizen's used munich instrad of pils and some crystal for body and colour. bloody fantastic

I love to boil for 60 min, adding bittering hops at 45 min and 1/2g/liter tettnang at 10 min to go.

I have bought some pearle hops for my next one to try. I have read nothing for praise for this hop over the years but never tried it.

I was at MHB's shop and had a sniff of the hops and bought them, they had a fantastic clean crisp aroma, perfect for a heffe.

On the subject of mash temps, my fav is a 63 deg rest for 45 min and infuse up to 71 deg for 15 to 20 min then mash out. works great.

here is my dinkeweizen

cheers

Dunkelweizen.JPG

I prefer my wheats thinner bodied and mash around the 64c temp.

johnno

From what I have read, the Hefe is lightly carbonated.

I tend to think they are one of the more highly carbed beers - think 30% big fluffy head in a nice tall weizen glass. That's how I like 'em anyway...

here is my dinkeweizen

cheers

Tony your misspells are the best entertainment on this forum! :lol:

keep up the good work(rice gull boy).

Your advice and helpful nature on the other hand is second to none,

Thumbs Up

thumbsupag3.jpg

oh look its me with a shave and some more teeth :)

I have typed some things latly and proof read them and found some horrific spellin mistakes that i would never live down and fixed them.

but someone has to entertain hey :)

glad i help a bit too :)

cheers

rice gulls out

45-64-70 for me
loads of CO2
wheat is subtle and can easily be overpowered with malty malts or yank hops

The SAGE has spoken......Take his advice seriously!

Glad to see we are on the same page "O'Weiz One" :super:

Just started step mash me self for that extra dimension.

relax HK brewing a weizen is easy,brewing a good one is harder......I'm still tryin.

Dave.
We are all in search for the perfect weizen, Dave and HK.

I jumped in and started decocting a long time ago and have returned to more simple methods to get some grounding before I go back to "advanced techniques".

My recent (and may I unreservedly state, "delicious") Schneider weisse clone was made with a simple step mash of 50 C, then 66C, than mash out at 76C.

Dave, I reckon anyone who has been brewing weizens for a little while will quickly get the the "same page" as us.

HK, keep brewing the wheaties and try a few variations once you find a recipe you like.

Tony, I believe that the adoption of the tem "rice gulls" is a genuine tribute to you and your wordsmiting skills. Keep 'em comeing. :lol:

Seth out :p

*Edit: I was gonna change the spelling to "wordsmithing", but "Wordsmiting" is much more apt. Cheerz*

Hey home kegger, I've got a copy of Warners wheat beer book I'm happy to loan you for a comprehensive guide to german wheat beers.

I pass through you burb every day on the way to work so could pop it in ya letterbox.

PM me if you are interested.if an evening suits I could bring a tally of something over for a taste.

Cheers dave.

oh look its me with a shave and some more teeth :)

I have typed some things latly and proof read them and found some horrific spellin mistakes that i would never live down and fixed them.

but someone has to entertain hey :)

glad i help a bit too :)

cheers

rice gulls out

This typo could have passed as real...

Dinkel (or Spelt) is an ancient grain that should not be confused with normal wheat or oats. It is of the same family but has entirely different properties.

The grain is known in Germany as Dinkel, in Italy as Farro and in many other parts of the world as Spelt or Asturia.

Just about to do my second AG brew. A Hefe. Here is the recipe and schedule. Does this sound alright or do I need to fix it.

3kg Pale wheat malt
1.5kg Pilsner Malt
20gm Hallertauer 30mins
20gm tettnang 15mins
20gm Spalter 10mins

I'd add in a protein rest (55C for 30min) to break down all those wheat protein. Then ferment at 18C. I find that too high a temp >22C yields to much fusel alcohols. Underpitch to increase bannana and esters.

Latest posts

Back