Heading to Europe - Birmingham, London and Normandy - Any Suggestions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm heading to Europe for a four-week holiday this weekend. I'm spending the first week in Birmingham (on a canal boat) followed by a few days in London and then Normandy.

I'm a real ale fan and I've got the CAMRA guidebook so I should be ok in Birmingham and London. Just wondering about Normandy. I know this region is famous for cider but I was wondering if there are any beers/breweries that are worth checking out in this part of the world?

Cheers,

Chris

Normandy - WWII tours?
As you're right near Belgium, some belgian ales are definitely worth tasting your way through.
And if you're near Bayeaux, the Bayeaux Tapestry is worth seeing.
Have fun!

Nowt to do with beer, but if you can spend a night or 2 on Mont St Michel, it's really worth it. Really touristy during the day, but much less so in the evening and at night.

And cider. Beautiful stuff, particularly Cidre Bouche (cider with a cork) which is the traditional stuff and comes in sweet, semi-sweet and dry varieties.

And Calvados

Blind Dog said:
Nowt to do with beer, but if you can spend a night or 2 on Mont St Michel, it's really worth it. Really touristy during the day, but much less so in the evening and at night.

And cider. Beautiful stuff, particularly Cidre Bouche (cider with a cork) which is the traditional stuff and comes in sweet, semi-sweet and dry varieties.

And Calvados
Great idea. Also visit Saint Malo nearby. I lived in Rennes for 6 months as a student and lived on breton cider and galettes.

There's a boat that goes from Portsmouth to Saint Malo.

DrSmurto said:
Great idea. Also visit Saint Malo nearby. I lived in Rennes for 6 months as a atudent and lived on breton cider and galettes.
There's a boat that goes from Portsmouth to Saint Malo.
Good call. St Malo's old walled town is a great place to just watch the world go by, enjoying moules frites then galettes, all washed down with cider.

Back