Head Spce For Conditioning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Reaction score
I would like to know the best method and size of cube to buy.
I use cornies as my kegs and I think they hold 19litres. I want to cold condition my lagers but dont know which way I should go about it.
Should I:
1. Transfer into a 20Lt cube and bottle the remainder from my fermenter?
2. Transfer the whole lot into a 25Lt cube and have a couple of litres (22-23 Lt batches) of head space then transfer to my keg and bottle the remainder?

I like my dunkels (5%abv), bocks (6%abv) and dopplebock (7-9%abv) styles. What is a good lagering time for each of these styles?
If I filter the beer can I shorten the lagering times? And I take it you filter after the lagering period?
When you fill a 20Lt cube is that 20Lt up to the opening or is there an inch or so headspace left.
I am swaying towards option 1 but would like to hear what you do.

Cheers.

I'm not sure about the answer to the filtering question, but the guide on no-chilling says a 20 litre cube actually fits 23 litres. Your gonna want as little headspace as possible while conditioning to avoid oxidisation/infection.

I started no chilling with 20 litre jerry can & it held 25 litres but it had a bung in it

So I went to a 20 litre cube type & i recon its about 24 litres because it doesnt expand as much on the sides like a jerry type

The reason I changed was the cube type was free I no Im a tight ass

Homebrewing has bought it out in me but I dont scimp on yeast

I have lost the cursor on my page & cant go back & correct spelling very annoying sorry all

so up youre batches to 25 litres but then again because when I no chill the wort is hot it expands the cube allowing for wore wort to go in

sorry not experienced enough with transfering to a cube when lagering but I recon King Brown is right no air is best

Back