Hdpe Plastic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Does anyone know if all food grade plastics are HDPE ?

There's a guy at our local market that sells all sorts of used plastic containers, I have bought a few fantastic grain storage container from him in the past.
Today I noticed he had 25lt cubes that once held fruit concentrate, label is still attached and the familiar '2' in the triangle is on the bottom. The '2' is to show the item is recyclable I believe, but does it also specify it's HDPE?

Oh yeah, he asking $5.00 each. I was thinking along the no chill line here so hot wort will be going into these things.

See links, sounds to me the '2' is HDPE

http://www.hdpe-containers.com/

http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/l...plastics-460321

Cheers Batz

It's my understanding that the 2 stands for HDPE too, can't find the link that spells it out.

found this

HDPEThe most-often recycled plastic[citation needed], HDPE or number 2, is downcycled into plastic lumber, tables, roadside curbs, benches, truck cargo liners, trash receptacles, stationery (e.g. rulers) and other durable plastic products and is usually in demand.

Linky

OK so I think these 25lt cubes would be OK for NC.

$5.00...cheap as chips ! He also has 30lt buckets with lids and threaded for a tap that would make great fermenters.

looks like a good deal, I'd buy them. If you buy the buckets throw the lids and glad wrap them.

Haven't used a lid for over a year now. They make good frisbees.

Frisbees are good, but a stir-plate is more useful:
stirplateV3.jpg

But one would assume that if the containers were used for fruit juice concentrate then they'd have to be food-safe (unless maybe they came from China).

fruit concentrate label on the container,they must be Ok...or the inspectors would not allow them to use them

Back