Have You Tasted Krausen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorey

Reaction score
Had some krausen come out through the airlock today so curiously had a little taste. Bitter as hell and nearly made me puke!
Hope the beer doesn't turn out like that!
Anyone else as silly as me?

It's yummy, but I like to smear poo-like yeast spread on my toast every morning. :lol:

I have tried it out the blow off tube once....not suggested practice.

Like chewing on a few hop pellets for a minute, or eating a tea bag, etc..... :icon_vomit:

not for the faint of heart, it tastes like I imagine dog shit would taste.... but more bitter...

I did know a bloke that upended his airlock into his mouth after blowoff had occured in one brew (a few days after the blowoff...) and that particular fermenter was kept in a extremely unsanitary fridge at the perfect temp range for mould to grow under the fermenter shelf....
I think he forgot that what started as a weak acid solution was then blown out, contaminated with a hell of a lot of sugars and yeasties which then probably died and the mould spores would have started to feed the airlock solution. I nearly spewed just watching him..... needless to say homebrew did play a part in this misadventure, but nonetheless I was never gonna be that stupid no matter how much beer I consumed.
:lol: Thanks for the flashback, I had forgotten all about that!!

Of course I have - If you haven't tasted pretty much everything that happens in your beer - you aren't taking it seriously in my book.

A lot of iso-alpha acids stick to the outside of yeast cells and also undissolved hop resins and beta acids - and in the first part of krausen (brown heads) there is a lot of cold break. All nasty tasting, which is why some people wil recommend you are careful not to re-dissolve into your beer, the crap that sticks to the side of your fermenter - and also why some brewers choose to skim their yeast (or at least some portion of it) off even if they aren't planning to re-pitch it.

try putting pure iso-hop extract on your tongue... that takes a good couple of days to go away completely.

In my book, it wouldnt seem right to stick yer finger up ur ass too taste what comes out the other side.

+1

Now try a fresh olive straight from the tree. Weeks man, weeks! :icon_vomit:

When I was in Israel working on a Kibbutz they put me in the olive orchard for a day and I thought "oh, olives by the bucket, yummy" and had a chew.

aaarrggggghhhhhh :eek:

Edit: still cringe after 35 years. :wacko:

And hands up to all those who've rolled a reefer of hops and smoked it ... just to make sure that although it smells (horizon) a LOT like it there's nothing to it :lol: .

A great way to give yourself a headache :ph34r: .

And yes, I've slurped some krausen - tasted like stale bread chased with dishwashing liquid.

We all need guidence from President Ralphie:

ipodsimpsons.jpg

on bottling day, we dared a mate to scull the leftover dregs from the primary.

We poured it all into a pint glass.

"How much will you give me?"
"pack of smokes"

*scull scull scull scull*

Dry retch - but it stayed down. Got him his smokes.

crazy bugger.

Glad to hear some other brewers can back me up.
The brews I tasted the krausen off were stouts - one licorice and one coffee. Should have started with something lighter.

Back