Have You Made A Coopers Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that's fine, I understand the 5-10% and agree with it.
However the pale chocolate is only just past dark crystal, apparently has very limited roast characteristics.
The Carafa might not even be 2, it's the lightest one (perhaps 1?), again mostly for colour and coffee rather than roast. I think it was just too un-roasty without the roast barley in there.
If I were using the carafa 3 and standard Joe White chocolate, I wouldn't be putting 1kg of each in.
However, if there are people who have specific experience in the malts I am using (www.esbeer.com.au) and still are suggesting I cut back on the carafa, then I'm all ears, but I still think the recipe is fine.

EDIT: Yep, it's Carafa-1. I'll sleep on it, I may end up putting hte pale choc and carafa down to 750g each.

KillerRx4 said:
I bottled a coopers stout tonight. FG was 1018 after 7 days & hadnt dropped for 3 days.

Mix was 1 can coopers stout.
1Kg Coopers brew enhancer 1
250G light malt extract
19Lt water.

The brew went pretty crazy by the 2nd/3rd day almost frothng int the airlock & im thinking maybe alot of the yeast stuck to the fermenter wall when it receded.

What do you guys reckon is a FG of 1018 ok?
I ended up bottling mine after the SG reached and stayed at 1.014. One of the guys on here picked it perfectly. I had the yeast scum marks all over the top of the carboy but it still got down to the 1.014

I also had some trouble with the stout bubbling up out of the airlock. The temp of the carboy reached 30 degn day 2, which didn't help.
Apparently someone else told me that the yeast creates it's own heat as well which could have led to the problem.

Put down a Coopers Kit stout last night. I've tossed out the included coopers yeast and went down to the local HBS

Got some home made brew mixer (1kg)
US56 yeast
250gms LME
18lt water

Mixed up as black as the ace of spades, looking forwars to sampling this in a month or 2

The pale ale kit i did a few months back has had great reviews from my mates (and me after work!) and the Irish Ale recipe is due for sampling next week

You b*stards....got me addicted to homebrewing....lol

rodderz said:
You b*stards....got me addicted to homebrewing....lol
[post="49683"][/post]​
Dont blame us roddrez. we all know the taste of homebrew is superior to most beers we can buy in a bottle shop or pub.

cheers
johnno

True Johnno

Went for a counter at the pub today with workmates, the carlton draught on tap is ok when cold but when your thirsty anything cold is good. Once it gained a bit of temperature it was crap!

Don't toss out the kit yeast.

Keep it for when you are doing hour boils: boiling the kit yeast for at least 30 miunutes turns it into ideal yeast nutrient for your real yeast!

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
Don't toss out the kit yeast.

Keep it for when you are doing hour boils: boiling the kit yeast for at least 30 miunutes turns it into ideal yeast nutrient for your real yeast!

Jovial Monk
[post="49721"][/post]​

yup...saving it for such an occasion

The stout is going along fine at the moment....hasnt been as voilent in it's bubbling compared with what I've read about it but I expect it may be because I have kept the temp lower, at around 16C for the first 2 days. Today I've let it creep up to 20-22C and it's bubbling more and the krauzen is starting to form

Kit is just about ready for bottling...had to leave the fermenter outside as the temp the last few days has made it drop to 14-16C and the brew looked as though it just about stopped. Tested the gravity, 1014 so will test it to see if thats where it will finish at

One questions guys, how much priming sugar goes into a 750ml bottle of stout? Guy at HBS gave me some better carbonation drops, maybe I should add 1 drop instead of 2? Next brew I will have a 2nd fermenter for bulk priming but till then have those coopers PET bottles

rodderz, try a teaspoon of white sugar or dextrose in each bottle for priming. Toss the carbonation drops.

I make an oatmeal stout based on the Coopers Stout kits. Roughly:

1 Kg JW Pale Ale Malt
400g quick oats
100g Crystal
100g Choc Malt
60g Roasted Barley

Mash for an hour. Boil for an hour with a 30 min addition of a GMK-style "small handful" of Fuggles, Willamette or Styrian Goldings.

Make up fermenter to 18L. OG ~ 1.047

First time I made this with WLP023 Burton Ale yeast. Was very nice. The one in primary right now is with the kit yeast :\

Perhaps you should consider batch priming.
My favourite calculator...
hbd.org/recipator Carbonation Calculator

If you do batch prime, just remember not to breathe on your beer, sanitation, and mix it well... then let it settle for 30 minutes.
Then it's just a matter of filling each bottle up, no matter what size, each will be consistent with the last.

Dunkel_Boy said:
Perhaps you should consider batch priming.
My favourite calculator...
hbd.org/recipator Carbonation Calculator

If you do batch prime, just remember not to breathe on your beer, sanitation, and mix it well... then let it settle for 30 minutes.
Then it's just a matter of filling each bottle up, no matter what size, each will be consistent with the last.
[post="52354"][/post]​

Yes my next brew I will be using a 2nd fermenter to bulk prime. Each brew so far (on my 4th) i've moved up a step, starting at the standard Coopers Kits then going to better yeasts, ingredients and methods. The stout came out a pearler. Next I'll be doing a Hoegaarden clone I'll see how that turns out

All thanks to the guys here! :party:

I'm doing one now as it's my favourite cheap winter beer.
I used
1 x cooper stout extract
1 x brew enhancer #2
250g dark malt
250g dextrose
23g nottingham yeast
25g nothern brewer pellets

If it works (big failures here, never had a decent home brew), I'll definitely try adding choc malt and some coffee, my favorite stouts have those type of flavours.

Back