Have You Ever Been Shaved By Another Man?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
No not ballocks, face.

:icon_cheers:

I have a barber, not a hairdresser or a hair stylist - a barber

Last time I got a shave it was in Turkey in 1975 so when I get my hair buzz cut tomorrow at Kelvin's I'm going to sit back and get the cut throat job. Hot towels. Face massage.

I'm tingling in anticipation.

I'm blood group O+

:rolleyes:

had one in Turkey in about 2000 was a very nice shave

got the "flamed" thing done as well (ear and nose hairs) and a shirt off back rub :wacko:

after i relaxed it was quite nice

Have had it done, in Sydney too.
Nice and all, but for the price, I can do it at home in my underwear...

Yup, in 1999.

In an open air museum in Enkhuizen in the Netherlands, in a real old historic barber shop.

07 in India. Got a head and shoulders massage after that. Priceless.

I have a barber, not a hairdresser or a hair stylist - a barber
My father used to visit his barber on a regular basis (once a week or so) for a shave, she was quite endowed so it was an interesting view as she bent forward with the cut throat (so I hear).

Had my shave virginity taken in Vietnam for 50 cents AUD. only after the shave did I start thinking about HIV infections or having my throat slit! :rolleyes:

I must say i loved every minute on it. On the way home via singapore I stopped at mustafas and got myself a double edge straight razor. Who needs a Gillette 4 blade vibrator?

Had only 2 in my life (don't visit the barber very often); once from a bloke, the other from a woman.
Nothing beats a cut throat razor shave.
There's that slight element of danger and panic that makes it all the more rewarding/exciting. Not to mention having a very smooth shave, and knowing they haven't missed spots... which inevitably seems to happen shaving with a shitty disposable razor in front of shitty mirror in a poorly lit bathroom at home...

I happily have my barber sorted after moving from Syd to Perth a while back.

I went to one far more local and he refused to do the cutthroat shave. He lost me as a customer at that instant. He also gave me some funky coiffure on a geezer cut... not on I tells ya.

The good thing about current one is that he is the youngest of the old school-trained barbers, say about 35-40yo. This is in contrast to all of my previous barbers (some of whom I was continually still glad to see breathing, let alone working).

I require two things: know how to do what everyone else does with clippers using scissors, and know how to use a cutthroat i.e. I require a barber, not any other kind of groomer. It seems to be a prerequisite of barber training to also be a 'character'.

Had one done the morning of me wedding in Geelong...It was 5 of us...the boys were a little nervous...everyone's come up well bar the best man who's skin didn't take to it at all...had blood oozing from his face...needless to say he didn't enjoy it much. Was a bloody good shave though i reckon. I'd do it again though i am currently wearing my winter beard to take the chill off.

just the words "cut throat" send a chill up my spine....

my hairdresser uses a straight razor on the back of my neck, not sure I'd be as comfortable with that thing on my throat though.

Only vaguely related, but 18 months ago, I bit the bullet and shelled out decent money for a Double Edge razor blade, badger hair brush, shaving soap, and a shaving scuttle.

I cannot say how much satisfaction you get from having a proper shave, doing it right, and getting a result that is superior to anything I have ever had in the 15 years prior. Razor burns and irritations are now a thing of the past. Cuts are infrequent and heal in rapid time.

Despite the upfront cost, the actual cost of shaving is just pennies. blades are cents a shave, and soap in my cases only costs a few bucks a year.

When I see people who use 6 bladed, vibrating, razors endorsed by astronauts at only $5 a blade, I shake my head, and feel quite smug that I have seen the light.

check out Badger and Blade, to see what the shaving version of craft beer is all about.

Always wanted to try this...but finding a good barber is a bit of a challenge (I have always had my haircut at a friends hairdressers)

Anyone on the gold coast recommend a good one?

I have plenty of moles and I can't use a traditional razor, lest I shear them off. Even the thought of scratching them gives me the creeps. Other than for a brief 3 or 4 day period whilst travelling and I had forgotten my electric shaver at home, I've always used an electric shaver. Used to get horrible razor burn with my phillips shaver, but now I have a Braun and it's the best shaver I've owned. No razor burn at all and always a nice close shave.

Always wanted to try this...but finding a good barber is a bit of a challenge (I have always had my haircut at a friends hairdressers)

Anyone on the gold coast recommend a good one?
I used to goto graeme radcliffe in surfers for most of my life, just run the clippers over whats left myself now. Graeme if he is still working has been there forever, even cut the old mans hair when he was a young fella.
phone # 55317690. was in black dolphin arcade last time. Say gidday from sean from tamborine if you see him.
cheers
sean

I cannot say how much satisfaction you get from having a proper shave, doing it right, and getting a result that is superior to anything I have ever had in the 15 years prior. Razor burns and irritations are now a thing of the past. Cuts are infrequent and heal in rapid time.

Despite the upfront cost, the actual cost of shaving is just pennies. blades are cents a shave, and soap in my cases only costs a few bucks a year.

When I see people who use 6 bladed, vibrating, razors endorsed by astronauts at only $5 a blade, I shake my head, and feel quite smug that I have seen the light.
I'll out-smug your smugness with a much better way of avoiding all those things and the time and effort required to shave every day.

I hate shaving!
I have been thinking about getting laser done

Got a voucher for one off the missus a while back - He couldn't use a straight cut on my neck because of my skin type, said I'd just bleed everywhere. He used a safety razor on my neck - but it was still the best shave I've every had!
I'd get one regularly if I could.

I went to http://www.melbournebarbershop.com/

This thread always reminds me of this exchange for some reason.

NSFW - unless you're self employed, otherwise your just watching videos on your employers time and getting paid for it.
Which makes you a thief.
Of sorts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back