Have I Stuffed It (completely)?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

major

Reaction score
I was brewing a batch of ale up today following a relativley recipe. Strangely the recipe called for the grain to be added to the water and the entire lot boiled. At the time I though that sounded very strange, but in a incredibly moronic move I decided to do as described before coming to my senses and realising that he grain should never be boiled. After stamping round the house in foul mood :angry: (kicking the cat etc.), I strained the wort into a fermenter to cool and have come to the good folk at AHB to ask...

Have I completely stuffed the whole brew? I know that boiling the grain can add astringency etc. to the beer so should I add the yeast and continue or give the garden an expensive drink?

My opinion would be to add the yeast and see what result you get.

We've all stuffed up brews, but if you can use this one to add to your "taste" library, then all is not lost. You never know, it may turn out OK

I was brewing a batch of ale up today following a relativley recipe. Strangely the recipe called for the grain to be added to the water and the entire lot boiled. At the time I though that sounded very strange, but in a incredibly moronic move I decided to do as described before coming to my senses and realising that he grain should never be boiled. After stamping round the house in foul mood :angry: (kicking the cat etc.), I strained the wort into a fermenter to cool and have come to the good folk at AHB to ask...

Have I completely stuffed the whole brew? I know that boiling the grain can add astringency etc. to the beer so should I add the yeast and continue or give the garden an expensive drink?

What was the recipe?
What grains were boiled and in what? Water or wort?

A little more info needed.

The grains (pale ale malt) were boiled in water for about 40 minutes before I realised I stuffed up. The recipe didn't make a distinction between malt extract and malt.

Off the top of my head, the recipe was:

0.5kg Crystal Mal
2kg Pale Ale Malt

then,
0.2kg Maltodextrin
2kg LDME
Hops etc.

By the end of the boil the wort was looking about seven shades of brown and very thick.

If it was a Grumpys Kit and recipe just do as it says, no probs. They're good!

Boiling grains wouldn't give any conversion just plenty of tannin extraction - mouth puckering like a strong cuppa tea! Save your yeast for another brew and give the garden a drink I reckon!

You'll learn ten times more from making a bad beer than you will from a good beer. Sit it out and the worst you'll get is a lesson. If it does turn out poor, in the future you'll be able to pick out the exact taste that is attributed to leaching tannins, and be able to adjust your process accordingly.

An example: I once fermented a British ale yeast WLP005 at 22 degrees with a lightly hopped, primarily Pilsner malt bill. The result tasted very little like beer, but to this day I can pick out every flavour contributed to a beer by WLP005.

Did you taste it? If not, try it and see how it tastes. :rolleyes:

Well,...have ya, major? Tasted the wort? It'll give U an indication of the beer's drinkability. and ain't that what the whole show's about? better beer?

I think I know the book you have. Can't remember that specific bad recipe, though.

Give it a run and then do one with a mini-mash (partial mash), and use Maris Otter or Golden Promise, just for the romance (hehe - stolen quote).

Next thing ya know, you're brewing a prize-winner beer, as judged by your peers.

Worst case here, I'd say to pitch. Make up a backup starter before pitching, if U wanna save the yeast for another beer. Ferment and get to know the flavour of that beer.
One, you'll never want to make that mistake again, and;
Two, you will come to notice any trace of this defect in any other beer, and become a better taster.

Beeerz
Seth out :p

I made a oxidised beer once, but all me mates loved it. even bloody nanna

I tasted it last night as I was adding it to the fermeneter and it doesn't taste "too" bad. It is chunky as all buggery though.

Luckily, I have most of the ingredients in back up so I'm thinking I might split the yeast starter and give it another go on the weekend. I'll probably run them both side by side to see the difference. I can always give the garden an expensive alcoholic drink.

Its also a good lesson in backing your own judgement. I've made a few all grain brews now and they have all turned out pretty well. I remember thinking at the time "thats a bit strange" but went ahead anyway. Ah well, you live and learn.

I'll post back with the results.

Latest posts

Back