Have I Oxidized My Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chill1

Reaction score
I've just started home brewing and would appreciate some advice on something I've probably done wrong.

I put on 2 brews about 12 days ago ... in each fermenter I used the Coopers Pale Ale kit, Coopers brew enhancer 2; however, instead of using the kit supplied yeast, I used a sachel of Nottingham yeast due to the colder weather in Canberra. Bubbles started the day after pitching the yeast and continued for approx 8 days, on day 9 after bubbling had stopped I added Finings to clear the beer. I added the finings to a cup of near boiling water, then added this mixture to the fermenter and gave it a good solid stir for approx 1 - 2 minutes. I then put the fermenter lids back on, and the next day noticed the air lock was bubbling again every 30 - 45 sec's, and this continued for another 3 days, until slowing to bubbles every minute or so.

As it's now day 3 after adding the finings, and the bubbles have noticeably slowed, I have started searching on the web for similar occurences ... and I am now worried that when I added the finings I may have aerated/oxidized the beer due to stirring too hard for the 1 - 2 minute period.

My questions are:

Have I likely oxidized the beer?
Are the bubbles that are now coming through the airlock a result of oxidation, or beer purging CO2 due to a slight raise in temperature over the past couple of days?
Should I proceed with kegging and bottling, or throw out and start again?

Really appreciate any advice on this.

with any luck the fermenter was full of co2 from the fermentation and your vigorous stirring didnt introduce too much oxygen

it will be just fine

the bubbles is just co2 coming out of solution

that seems a long time for nottinham ale yeast, what temp did you ferment at ?

Dont throw it. Chill 1
At this stage Id take a sample and note SG. Have a taste. Leave for a week or so and do the same thing. If taste is off then decide.
In the mean time maybe search forum for what effects oxidisation has on brew, also post any additional info you can about this brew.Colour, smell, taste etc.Good luck. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Maybe a little, but hopefully the yeast will take some O2 back in.

I wouldn't be cellaring this for a long time, OR alternatively you could try to cellar it and measure it against your next batches and try to pick the difference it made. You live, you learn.

Welcome to the forum and a spectacularly awesome hobby.

Thanks for the replies so far:

For the first few days of fermentation the temp was constant around 14 degrees, this raised to about 16 degrees for the last couple of days of fermentation; however, the temp is now around 20 degrees due to warmer weather coming through.

I've drawn a couple of glasses from the tap at the bottom of the fermenter; the first glass was cloudy; however, it seems to have cleared now, with the 2nd glass only showing slight cloudiness. It only has a mild smell, and doesn't smell bad or anything ... the taste is hard to describe, certainly doesn't taste awful; however, only has a mild taste and probably best described as beer flavoured water, I'm hoping this is due to not yet being carbonated ... or is this also a symptom of oxidation?

Any further thoughts or ideas? Just don't want to continue with the process of cleaning/sanitizing kegs and bottles if I'm only likely to get a poor beer in the end.

Appreciate the help

You're right on track. Oxidation, which I seriously doubt you introduced unless your stirring was really vigourous splashing, won't appear for some time. It sounds liek your beer tastes fine. Carbonation is a major factor in the taste profile (ever drunk a beer you've left in a glass over night?) and it takes a few weeks for the "green beer" flavour to go away.

You really need to start using a hydrometer. The usual rule is once you have a stable hydrometer reading over three days, your beer is ready to bottle. This is assuming that the beer has fermented out and you haven't caused it to stop fermenting due to dropping the temperature too low. If the temperature is too low, your yeast go to sleep. Bringing the temp back up wakes them back up.

Research Nottingham yeast and check what temperatures it works best at.

Only use finings once the final gravity has been reached and it is stable over three days. Gently pour the solution over the surface of your brew, no need to vigorously stir it in.

Don't trust the airlock, it often fails to bubble due to air leaks with the fermenter seal. Or it will slowly bubble for months due to dissolved carbon dioxide slowly coming out of solution. As your beer ferments, most of the carbon dioxide that is produced comes out the airlock, but some still stays dissolved and will slowly come out due to temperature changes and air pressure changes.

Your beer will change flavour once it has carbonated.

C1,

Oxidised beer has a "wet cardboard" taste, once tasted never forgotten. Your brew sounds fine.

cheers
Dave.

Update:

I've now filled 2 post-mix kegs and 8 long necks from the 2 fermenters. I'll give it a couple of weeks then chill and taste. Fingers crossed all will be well as I'm dieing to try my 2nd brew ever, and my first attempt at using kegs. I'll be sure to post my results so anyone doing the same in the future will either be re-assured or devastated.

Through 'google' research I did read that one of the signs of oxidation is very clouded beer due to the chemical reaction caused by the oxygen, this has increased my hope as the beer that came from my fermenters was crystal clear with almost no clouding being visable. More to follow!

Thanks for all the responses/advice.

Update:

All turned out well ... I pulled a beer from one of my kegs over the weekend, and long story short ... it's already half empty.

Thanks for all the responses and advice.

Update:
All turned out well ... I pulled a beer from one of my kegs over the weekend, and long story short ... it's already half empty.
Thanks for all the responses and advice.
The question should not be have I oxidised my beer, but if I oxidised my beer will it matter.
;)

Back