Have I oxidised my beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has me intrigued - surely HSA would be a massive issue in 1V recirc set ups that splash - eg: braumeister / grainfather set ups? or does the boil drive off the oxygen and reverse the damage?

HSA isn't a massive issue on an HB level anyway. I've never seen a BM in action but how much and how vigorously does it splash?

A BM doesn't splash. The pump pushes the liquid up through the grain bed and its trickles over the side of the malt pipe and runs back down the side of the malt pipe back into the main body of liquid

Never had an issue with HSA

manticle said:
HSA isn't a massive issue on an HB level anyway. I've never seen a BM in action but how much and how vigorously does it splash?
This... unless you're leaving your beer for a very long time, you'll most likely never experience the detrimental effects of oxidation. Especially at Homebrew scale.

argon said:
This... unless you're leaving your beer for a very long time, you'll most likely never experience the detrimental effects of oxidation. Especially at Homebrew scale.
Oxidation from HSA I'd agree, but oxidation post fermentation is a pretty big thing for homebrewers judging from the threads you can find on various forums and my own experience.

Had 2 beers turn to liquid cardboard before I found a puncture in the hose I use to transfer from fermentor to keg that worked beautifully to aerate the beer.

Back