Have I Made A Partial Doppelbock?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moovet

Reaction score
Hi all,

I overordered on my grain to do my first partial which was Boagsys Unkel Dunkel which was pretty good but lacked the full body finish I like in my dark wheats.

I was wondering if I could try and replicate an Aventinus doppelbock/weizenbock so through the brew calculator came up with and brewed the following recipe which is really just an extension of Boagsy's so I cannot take credit but I needed to use up the grain which was already milled.

2.5 kg Muntons LME - Wheat
2.3kg light DME
0.2 kg Weyermann CaraWheat
0.2 kg Weyermann Caramunich III
0.1 kg Weyermann Chocolate Wheat
0.2 kg Dextrose
0.1kg Maltodextrin
35 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (Pellets, 6.3 AA%, 60 mins)
2000 ml Wyeast Labs 3638 - Bavarian Wheat Yeast Cake from previous Dunkelweisen

Style Doppelbock
Method Partial
Original Gravity 1.087
Final Gravity 1.024 (only achieved 1.030 - 7.8% ABV)
Alcohol Content 7.8%
Efficiency 73%
Total IBU (Bitterness) 24.5
EBC (colour) 36.1

Fermentation Details
Primary 7 days
Secondary 0 days
Conditioning 3 weeks

Have tried my first bottle tonight and it is beautiful. Quite fruity and full bodied with nice wheat and some maltiness. I am really happy with it.

Had a couple of disasters along the way. Did a stirling job creating and cooling the wort. Made the fatal mistake of not checking the fermenter tap was closed after the last brew before I poured in the cooled wort and lost about 2L over the kitchen floor. What a mess!!

Also bottled into a large 2L glass tall triangular bottle I got from a brewery in Bolzano that has a Grolsch type lid. Thought it would be airtight and able to resist the pressure but after 24 hours bottled it had leaked through my brewfridge. So I decided to release the pressure in it and ended up with a volcano and all but 2L of wated beer all over myself and the garage!! (Thank god I wasn't in the kitchen that time)

Anyway, it has been 6d since I bottled it and on a cold night savoured at about 8 degrees it has come up really nicely. The maltodextrin has given it a very smooth mouthfeel without being to creamy.

ANyway, I dont think I came up too short from my calculations and it cetainly seems the closest home brew I have tasted to Aventinus so I would like to call it a successful partial doppelbock/weizenbock minus 4 L!!!

Cheers,

Moovet

I'm not sure if you have been following moovet but I also have a Weissenbock in the fermenter at the moment, just about ready to cold crash it. Pleased your dunkelweissen turned out OK in the end.
What you are brewing is technically classified as an extract brew as opposed to a partial where part of the extract is substituted for a small mash of base malt.

Here's my recipe for my Winter Weizenbock

23 litres

3kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt
1.5 kg LDME
500g Dextrose

250g Caramel Wheat
250g Special B
150g Pale Chocolate

52g Hallertauer @ 60mins

2 litre starter of Wyeast 3638 pitched and brewed @ 19.5 degrees C

I like your recipe though and it would be interesting to compare the two brews.
Have you got any dunkleweissen left?

Edited to say - what was the batch volume for your weissenbock?

I like your recipe though and it would be interesting to compare the two brews.
Have you got any dunkleweissen left?

Edited to say - what was the batch volume for your weissenbock?

Baqtch volume was supposed to be 23 L but lost at least a couple of litres on the floor and with the yeast cake/slurry left from your dunkelweisen had between 20 and 21L left at OG of 1.087 at 21 degrees.

Still have plenty of dunkelweissen. Very good and as I said, the weizenbock I have tried is the same recipe with some extra DME.

Damn thought that steeping specialy grains counted as a partial so should have put this in a different forum. My apologies - definitely an amateur but enjoying some nice brews!!

Latest posts

Back