Have I Gone Wrong?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullsneck

Malty tasking
Reaction score
Hey all.

I brewed a simple pilsner recently and kegged it a few days ago. It didn't smell nice at all.

Recipe...

Muntons Pilsner Can
Black Rock LME Can
15g of Saaz boiled for 10mins
WYeast Czech Pils (smack-pack)

I brewed it at roughly 15degrees. It did take a while to start off, too.

It may have creeped up to 18degrees on a warmer than usual day.

Anyway, I tasted it tonight. It was digusting. It tasted buttery.

Is it infected/did I do something wrong?

May have been diacetyl. It's usual with lagers to allow the temp to go up to 18 -20 for a day or so.

Probably should lower the primary temp if using that kind of yeast (7-12) and cold condition at 2 deg with a 20 deg rest in between.

Someone else may have better feedback.

If it helps, I CC'd (3degrees) for 2 days after about 14 days.

Edit - spelling (damn numlock)

Hey BN,

Yep, sounds like you have fermented a LAGER YEAST at too higher temp.... 8-12 deg. would have returned much better results... but you have read and heard that before...

IMO: This brew will take ALOT of time but should still be 'drinkable'

If its in bottles and ageing, put as many as you can fit in the fridge and leave for as long as you can... I am talking months!!

If still the same then 'No-Dice' you have a f*cked brew... It happens..

BUT they may taste OK and you can drink it, sorted!

YOU LIVE BREW YOU LEARN!!

If it helps, I CC for 2 days at ab64t 14 days.
Is that 2 days @ 14C? That's not really CCing is it? That's... cooling it slightly, briefly. A cold condition takes at least a week near 0C unless I'm mistaken (possible). 14 days @ 2C is hopefully what you mean.

[Edit: perhaps that's 2 days after 14 days... is it finished by then? Likely at a high temp I guess... curious nonetheless.]

How long ago did it reach the final gravity (finish fermenting)? 2 + a few days?

Buttery in a lager is definitely (well, as close to definite as possible in brewing) diacetyl. It's not a massive problem, bring your fermenter and beer up to 18-20C for a couple of days as manticle speculated, the diacetyl will head for the skies.

After the diacetyl rest, continue with cold conditioning/whatever you want to do.

Usual process for lagers is ferment low (7-12) for at least a couple of weeks, allow temp to rise to ale temps for around 2 days, then drop the temp (some suggest slowly) to around 2 degrees and lager for as long as you can/want. You may or may not rack the beer in between.

I know nothing about how long diacetyl stays around nor if you can get rid of it following carbonation but be hopeful until someone tells you you can't.

Sounds very similar to my recent experience. I think I got shafted by HBS with a lager yeast instead of an ale yeast, and fermented at higher temp (18-20) and ended up with some really awful flavours.

Seems to be improving slightly the longer I leave it though.

Update on this...

It seems that the 'buttery' aroma has dissapated. It is no longer present. It has been left for about a month in ambient Melbourne temperatures, keep in mind that Melbourne has been hovering between 9C and 15C the last 3 weeks.

I'll give it another month before I taste it, just to make sure it's all out.

It looks like diacetyl can dissapate in carbed up beer.

I'll update again in about a month.

Back