what did I get wrong?!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adr_0 said:
I hope you're not going to make some outlandish claim that 1° Plato is equal to 10g sucrose in 1L of water...
Ok please explain why that isn't the case and how it should be done.

danestead said:
Being facetious. You and I and a heap of others might know this but I guess it's not universally known.

danestead said:
Wouldn't be 10g of sugar in a solution of 1kg total mass (1% w/w). There will be a liuttle bit less than 1L of water.
Dave

dblunn said:
Wouldn't be 10g of sugar in a solution of 1kg total mass (1% w/w). There will be a liuttle bit less than 1L of water.
Dave
Correct. And for those that dont know how to do it:

1 plato basically means a 1% sugar solution by weight. So to test a hydrometers calibration it is suitable to mix up a 200mL solution. Our normal OGs are in the 1.048ish region or 12 plato. Dissolve 24g into 176g of pure water (distilled, deionised, RO or tap water if thats all you have). This will result in a 200g solution of which 12% (12 plato/brix) is sucrose (table sugar). Use accurate scales.

Sorry, yes - 1kg.

You can also use it to work out pppg values of sugars, eg demerara sugar or candi sugar. I think i worked out that 24g made up to 200g represented 1 lb per gallon

If your hydrometer is right you can then work out the pppg in SG. I think that's right anyway...

So as seems par for the course with this recipe I bottled today and realised I must have forgotten to add the whirfloc this tine around as it seems very cloudy. Who would have thought a smash pilsner would be so challenging! Ok lesson learned I've added the whirfolc to the recipe as an addition so hopefully wont forget it on version 3 when ever I get around to doing it again.

Cloudiness can come from many things. Most beer when I package has some degree of haze which conditioning time sees disappear.

Hoping itll settle in the bottle and there aren't any off flavours from the sample I tasted before bottling so I'm sure it'll all be good. Just another step on the journey of discovery that is brewing. Its annoying it happened with the pilsner though, could get away with it on the pacific ale I did last weekend.

Whirlfloc helps coagulate proteins in the boil, making it easier for them to drop out so you can leave them behind. So many other causes of haze following that - main one is yeast which cold, time and/or finings will help clear.
Let them carbonate and if still cloudy, place upright in the fridge for a few weeks.

Since the summer has abruptly left us here in Vic (32C on Thursday, 17 on Friday) I think they will get plenty of time to settle out. Time to move on to the heavier brews I think.

Back