Have I Damaged My Urn?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbiebrewer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I ran some tap water through my crown yesterday to do some cleaning of the brew gear. After I drained the urn, I noticed some marks on the urn (see photos). Are these marks just minor or are they something to worry about?

Thanks in advance.

(Apparently photobucket is illegal on the forum can someone point my to another photosharing site so I can upload my pics ASAP)

you can put pics in the msg

ATT00230.jpg

whats wrong with photo bucket?
i up loaded this with it.

I tried the insert pic link, which generated a broken link and an error message stating "You have entered a link to a website that the administrator does not allow links to". Apparently I can't link the album with the insert link tool either.

Back on topic
bottomofurn.jpg

scorchmarkattop.jpg

scorchmarkatbottom.jpg

Sorry about the size guys it's still throwing broken links even for imageshack.

First shot looks like a typical build up of scum above where the element sits. I think because that section of SS is directly above the element stuff 'bakes on' to it (best term I can think of). A bit of napisan in hot water (or even better, PBW) and a bit of elbrow grease with a soft sponge should get it off.

The other pictures look like the under side of the urn. The little burn spot is where the grounding wire terminal has been welded on the other side. It is how the urn would have arrived to you, you probably just didn't notice it until now.

IMO on the limited information I have your urn is perfectly fine. Give the element a bit of a clean and a thorough rinse and it's good to go again.

yeah I guessed as much, but just to be safe I sent some pics to craftbrewer and ross is forwarding them onto crown to see what they think.

Latest posts

Back