Has Anyone Used This Brand Of Lme?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerandgarden

Reaction score
Hello,
Has anyone here come across this brand of LME: Brewmaster Amber Malt -
http://www.brewshop.co.nz/malts-grains/amb...lt-extract.html
The label says: 'Brewmaster Amber Malt adds flavour and texture to all kit and mash beers. Mix contents into wort before fermentation'.

Just wondering if it's any good for extract brewing as it's about half the price of the Coopers tins of LME.
Cheers,
Aidan

Hello,
Has anyone here come across this brand of LME: Brewmaster Amber Malt -
http://www.brewshop.co.nz/malts-grains/amb...lt-extract.html
The label says: 'Brewmaster Amber Malt adds flavour and texture to all kit and mash beers. Mix contents into wort before fermentation'.

Just wondering if it's any good for extract brewing as it's about half the price of the Coopers tins of LME.
Cheers,
Aidan

Yep, it will be fine for extract brews. Don't know what the taste is like vs other brands, but give it a whirl and see.

BTW, are you in NZ? Do coopers lme cans really cost $20 over there?

Hello fellow brewers....
ive come across a liquid malt extract from the supermarket called saunders.

yesterday i started two batches a tooheys draught and coopers pale ale
with 1kg tin ea of the malt extract and standard yeast.

today i tasted the pale ale and noticed slight off flavours and tasted the
draught and it tasted like it should. They were both brewed exactly the same
and the fermenters are sitting next to each other.

Has anyone had these off flavours before?

Any ideas tips feedback is appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Saunders Malt Extract is not recommended for brewing. There's a fair bit of info on here about it, but I think it is not brewing grade which will give you those off flavours.

Yep, it will be fine for extract brews. Don't know what the taste is like vs other brands, but give it a whirl and see.

BTW, are you in NZ? Do coopers lme cans really cost $20 over there?
Yes, I'm in NZ, Coopers LME 1.5kg can typically sells for NZ$18.95 so it's a big price difference compared to this other Brewmaster stuff. What has me wondering about it is that the description on the lable does not say that it is for extract brewing. It says 'Brewmaster Amber Malt adds flavour and texture to all kit and mash beers. Mix contents into wort before fermentation'. So it is suggessting that it is for use as an additive but not the base of the extract brew itself. Do you have this brand in Aus? Have you done an extract batch with it? Is there much difference between different brands of LME or are they all pretty much the same?

Saunders Malt Extract is not recommended for brewing. There's a fair bit of info on here about it, but I think it is not brewing grade which will give you those off flavours.

Bullshit!

there is a fair bit of assumption on here about it not being brewing grade ... there are only a couple of companies in Australia that make Malt Extract and the food service malt they use to make your breakfast cereals & confectionary etc comes out of the same drums we make beer from.

From previous posts, Coopers appear to can Saunders Malt

I've used the Saunders malt before without any problems. No clarity issues and no noticeable effect on taste imo. It's about $10 for 1kg though so not a huge saving dollars wise. Any "off flavours" probably emanate from the yeast. I seem to recall that the Coopers Pale Ale has a lager/ale blend - so could be responsible for some sulphur smells.

I've used the Saunders malt before without any problems. No clarity issues and no noticeable effect on taste imo. It's about $10 for 1kg though so not a huge saving dollars wise. Any "off flavours" probably emanate from the yeast. I seem to recall that the Coopers Pale Ale has a lager/ale blend - so could be responsible for some sulphur smells.

Good call with the yeast,i didnt use the coopers yeast but the 7g premium yeast from mangrove jacks to trial.
hmm looks like ill have to brew it out and wait n see.

By the way totally off topic does anyone know why I can post reply's from my laptop and not from my cpu?
its been really annoying.

As they say in Japan Kampai!!!

Chris

i worked with a guy about 25years ago that used saunders malt for his home brew and there was no issues

Latest posts

Back