Harvesting.... from the blow off tube?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oglennyboy

Reaction score
Gday all, I've got 2 porters that have been fermenting with WY1469 for the past week, slightly different grain bills. Used a blow off tube & flagon and today when I was going to do a bit of cropping see that the bottle has a decent amount of beer plus what looks like a good layer of yeast in the bottom.
If the bottle & tube were sanitised, and reasonably sealed, is this yeast OK to harvest as well? Looking at the liquid, there's no sign of cooties, simply looks like the usual fermentation process.
I cropped both fermenters and mixed it all together, would any odd things result from the mixing or is the yeast going to be pretty similar from each as the pitching & ferment temps & OG were the same? Fermenters are heated and the room itself sits at about 12 degrees.
Some pics of the blow off...
WP_20140531_002.jpg WP_20140531_001.jpg

cheers!

if im getting this right you are harvesting yeast that overflowed through the blowoff tube? if so that is the best yeast you can get fresh and healthy from the peak of fermentation. 1469 is atraditional top cropper so as long as sanitation is up to spec you are good to go, get pitching into another beer.

Ta for that, yep that's right all the yeasty froth that ordinarily blows out my airlock & sits in the lid, captured this time. Will do some tidy-up on it and get into it again tomorrow :)
cheers!

Back