Hand Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tipsy_mcstagger

Reaction score
has anyone any experience with setting up a keg with a hand pump. I figure you wouldnt need the gas bottle and regulator just pump it out by hand. The hand pump generally have an aerator, i beleive, to give the beer a head. I am talking about an IPA, here obviously a lager would need the gas.

Thanks

Tipsy
:beerbang:

a quick search should reveal all Tipsy. (sorry i dont recall thread names.)
I know Doc has been sharing his experiences of late, you'll find heaps of info.

I have a beer pump or engine.

I use an aspirator and 23L keg. I put 1 volume of CO2 in the beer then hook up the aspirator to basically replace the dispensed beer with CO2. Works pretty well.

I have posted pics of my beer pump before. plenty of information on this site, but if you have any specifications I will (along with a few others I know do hand pumped beers) attempt to answer them for you.

Kirk

thanks all.

Now I know its called a beer engine, I'll do a search and find out as much as i can.

I was chatting to a mate that worked in a pomme pub and they leave the keg open to draw air into it when the beer is pumped in. as long as you drink it fast enough i wouldnt see this as a problem. also if the keg is in the fridge then there shouldnt be any worries about infection doing this?

what do oyu reckon?

Hey tipsy,

Like you say you can let the natural air in if you plan on drinking in under a week. If not you really need to displace the volume of beer poured with CO2. An aspirator does this.
As for leaving the keg in the fridge and infection, it depends on how clean your fridge is.
As for piccys seach on "show us your beer engines".

Beers,
Doc

Like you say you can let the natural air in if you plan on drinking in under a week. If not you really need to displace the volume of beer poured with CO2. An aspirator does this.
As for leaving the keg in the fridge and infection, it depends on how clean your fridge is.

Well maybe 2 weeks, and the current trend is away from cask with 'brewery conditioned' beer via standard kegs due to decrease in cellerman skills. (aka coopers kegs - where did the head guys study?)

Infection - already fermented - alcohol is a gratifier and a protector!

Scotty

Okay, so after a bit of research, if the beer gets infected leaving the keg open i will need the following equipment;

Soda stream bottle from K-Mart / Woolies
a CO2 regulator
an adaptor to fit the reg onto the SS bottle
a aspirator
maybe a non return valve.

Have I left anything out?

Also i have bought a couple of kegs from marlin coast HB, just waiting for them to arrive. I will need tubing and fittings to plumb all the above in.

Whereabouts do I get all this gear in Perth?

Will be a lot simpler of the beer is fine with open kegs.

I saw a beer pump in paper recently...but what are they worth...can you still get parts for all the brands...or are some better than others...maybe need to start another thread.

Hi all. Long time reader, first time poster :D

Presumably you can connect the aspirator to the standard CO2 cylinder rather than having to buy a seperate Soda Stream item - right?

Also, I've been told that the beer line for the beer engine is a 1/2 inch diameter which (I would assume) requires a similar diameter disconnect. I just spoke to Andale and they don't have a 1/2 inch beer disconnect.

Can you advise if you sourced the right sized beer line disconnect elsewhere or did you simply tighten the 1/2 inch beer line onto the standard (6mm?) disconnect?

Cheers,

Rukh.

I got a JG fitting from Ross (craftbrewer) to reduce 1/2 inch to 6mm beer line. I haven't set it up all yet but will so in the next few days. I will let you know how it all goes.

Tipsy, I was thinking about an alternative method recently, that might be worth a try before laying out all that $$$.

If you have a keg with the safety valve in the hatch, then theoretically you could just place the hatch into the neck of a clean plastic bag (eg bin liner), holding it in place with the rubber o-ring. Push the scrunched-up bag into the keg before fitting the hatch, and leave the valve open.

As you draw beer from the keg, the bag would slowly 'inflate' with air drawn in through the safety valve, but the bag would maintain a barrier between the beer and the air.

I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like it might do the trick. Worth a shot?

Tipsy, I was thinking about an alternative method recently, that might be worth a try before laying out all that $$$.

If you have a keg with the safety valve in the hatch, then theoretically you could just place the hatch into the neck of a clean plastic bag (eg bin liner), holding it in place with the rubber o-ring. Push the scrunched-up bag into the keg before fitting the hatch, and leave the valve open.

As you draw beer from the keg, the bag would slowly 'inflate' with air drawn in through the safety valve, but the bag would maintain a barrier between the beer and the air.

I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like it might do the trick. Worth a shot?

interesting idea...i would be very interested to see if this worked.

Nice idea Wortgames. I wouldn't hesitate trying this if I had a cask. I'd perhaps treat the bag with iodophor first. Although, I use cling wrap and aluminium foil regularly and assume it is in a sanitary condition. No problems yet.

regards
Scott

Latest posts

Back