Hand Pump On A 19l Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there, a few of us began brewing this year and have been successful on producing many longnecks of quite drinkable beers, but now it's coming up to warmer weather and we are looking towards a new challenge, a keg set up.

We have investigated the post mix keg setups and seem to understand how it will all work and will be purchasing one shortly, but my question is this:

Is it possible to use a party pump (picnic/bronco pump) on a 19L keg? We have many a time bought a CUB keg and put it in a tub of ice and used the pump which worked great. But if we adapted one to suit the fittings on a 19L would it work and would the beer be gassy or would we have to do something extra?

I've done a search and can't seem to find the answer. Have any of you done this before or know of anyone who has? We are happy to beer gas it up but the party pump idea is more if we are taking it to a bbq or something so it can be portable instead of having to move all the gas and lines etc.

Any help, ideas etc would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ned

there are a few options. you can hey a soda stream bottle to dispense, or a CO2 bulb keg charger. This makes a 19 litre setup transportable. You need to make sure you are a the least replacing the keg space with CO2, not just air. Hope this helps lead you to a few other posts.

yes you can do that no worries, as long is the beer is carbed first, and keep in mind that as soon as you start using air pressure to dispense the beer will stale in a matter of days, so make sure you finish it quickly :)

I have one of these

And you need to charge it up with these

However the bulbs are not cheap, it takes about 4 to dispense a full keg so you might want to look around at using the bigger sodastream canister, or look online for small bulbs which are a lot cheaper. I think if you buy them by the 100 they are a fraction of the cost of buying from a brew shop, but the freight might be a killer and you have to be sure they are compatible. I only use the system twice a year to go to case swaps etc or the odd wedding or funeral :rolleyes:

Best of luck. What pump have you been using, do you have a piccy?

Back