Ham - a timely subject and a vexing question...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok sounds great. But what hop goes with ham. And can someone suggest addition time line. Thanks Scoobie

The one thing which gets me is 'made from Australian and imported ingredients".

I only want to eat Australian oinker, definitely free range if available. Not because I am a hippy (though the best pork I've ate had a name when it walked), but because I don't trust the main countries who sell us processed pig meat. Same for bacon, the vast majority is imported and you are not given any information as a consumer. There is also a flavour which permeates the meat when they are raised in unclean conditions, and in my opinion, Australian stuff mostly does not exhibit this now, though it did 10-20 years ago.

That said, I was gifted a ham, and I am eating it in ignorant bliss. I think I saw an 80 on the packet. And I am sure they only imported the sodium nitrate :)

ED: I am only human after all.

All ham on the bone is Australian. You are not allowed to import ham on the bone.Tge imported ingredients coukd be the nitrates etc used to cure

Bacon and sandwich ham can be imported.

Tried my butchers 78% pork ham this morning and it was okay. It is drier than I thought it would be considering the pork content. I don't know if it is just me and I know that it contains 22% of other stuff but (my wife agrees also) that there is slight off after taste - I asked my wife what she thought the after taste was and she said "slight poo with salt" mmmm.... If it was a beer I would say that it is unbalanced and affected by a too warm fermentation - fuesally with a lingering chemical bent to it.

I have decided to cut it up in slices and freeze for later use (and to give away) and I have ordered a ham from the bloke I have bought hams from for the last 5 or so years. Why did I not buy one this year from him - he had old the business and I didn't think he was smoking anymore but I found out yesterday he is so I bought one. In my opinion his hams are the best I have had. He now works for the bloke that bought him out. - Smokehouse in Narre Warren.

OK, here is the result, before and after for the glazed ham leg. Took just less than 40 mins. There was not as much fat on the leg as I am used to so the result was a bit patchy overall - and because the oven is not fan forced I finished off the glaze with the top griller.

Should keep Santa happy

Wes IMG_0317 (640x480).jpgIMG_0318 (640x480).jpg

Mercs Own said:
Tried my butchers 78% pork ham this morning and it was okay. It is drier than I thought it would be considering the pork content. I don't know if it is just me and I know that it contains 22% of other stuff but (my wife agrees also) that there is slight off after taste - I asked my wife what she thought the after taste was and she said "slight poo with salt" mmmm.... If it was a beer I would say that it is unbalanced and affected by a too warm fermentation - fuesally with a lingering chemical bent to it.

I have decided to cut it up in slices and freeze for later use (and to give away) and I have ordered a ham from the bloke I have bought hams from for the last 5 or so years. Why did I not buy one this year from him - he had old the business and I didn't think he was smoking anymore but I found out yesterday he is so I bought one. In my opinion his hams are the best I have had. He now works for the bloke that bought him out. - Smokehouse in Narre Warren.
its proberbly dry because he has over cooked it.

indica86 said:
http://www.makeitpossible.com/#film

While I'm not a vegan / vego / hippy / PETA freak or anything else like that, I am going to be shopping at my local butcher for ham / pork / bacon and buy free range where possible. Poor little piggies are so bloody lovely to eat.
don just base I on "free range" as it is a load of crap - go for certified "pasture bred" or "pasture raised". They are out in the pastures all of their life.

To be honest I've gone off ham the last few years after some disappointing experiences. As a kid we'd get our hams from a small country butcher who smoked his own hams and they were brilliant. Bought one in Melbourne a while ago (and it wasn't cheap) and it was rubbish.

Last few years I've gone for pickled pork, which I simmer in stock of veg and spices for 3 hours then glaze in the BBQ with sugar, honey vinegar and a little bit of booze. Bloody amazing it is.

JD

I buy pickled pork and bake it in the oven. Comes out rather nice. And its not bad value.

One day I will get around to smoking some.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I buy pickled pork and bake it in the oven. Comes out rather nice. And its not bad value.
The good value is another reason we buy it. Doesn't generally get hit with the christmas premium like ham does. Thought about smoking it in the barbie but didn't have any smoking wood so decided not to bother.

Hey, wait up there.. what do you mean baked ham isn't served hot? I know all about the hot food on a hot day debacle but orange/pineapple glazed baked ham straight out of the oven is the ducks nuts.

If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen (and get a fresh beer).

I just had ham for breakfast. It was a healthier choice than the cheese, chocolate or cookies that are left over... Right?

Latest posts

Back