Hallertau Tips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neill

Reaction score
So i'm doing an extract recipe that i use as a "base" for tasting and comparing hops. I generally then hop it reasonably heavily with this "base" background being relatively neutral and clean so that i can get the feel for the hop flavour. I've done this with Amarillo, Nelson Sauvin, Cascade and next up is Hallertau.

Now this hop has a low AA, i think it's 6.3%, so i'm going to need a lot of it for bittering over a 60 min boil to get the IBU's up around 25-30 where i like these types of beer. Throwing the figures into my bittering calculator comes up with;

40g @ 60 min
20g @ 45 min
20g @ 15 min

for a total of about 26 IBU. I only have an 80g packet of Hallertau in the fridge.

So what i'm wondering is from the people out there who've used this hop before, is it a really strong flavour? Am I going far too nuts with using this much in a basic single hopped ale? Will it taste any good?

I'm asking because the other hops i've used have been higher AA and i've not had to use as much as this before. The amarillo bomb i did was fantastic though and i used all 80g of that within 30 mins in the boil :eek: but the Nelson Sauvin ale used only 40g and i reckon it was too much. So i'm after people's experiences with this hop particularly so that i don't produce an undrinkable beer!

I love this hop especially in Pils and Lagers. It's a subtle hop IMO and as such needs a slight hand rather than a heavy one. In Pils and Lagers it all about finesse and balance because you neither have the luxury of a dominant hop or a malt to hide behind so i would take that approach with your recipe if you want to try this hop to it's full. I would change your hop schedule to accentuate the aroma's and flavours so drop the 45min and make it 20min and the 15min to flame out. Also maybe try to make a fake Lager with it using K79 or simular?

35g @ 60 min
12-20g @ 20 min
12-20g @ 0 min

2c :icon_cheers:

Cheers

Chappo

You will be fine mate! sounds like you have a decent German Pils. When using hallertau i usually go for:

90% IBU count @ FWH/60Min
10%IBU count @ 5min

in your case, 23.4IBU @ FWH/60min, 2.6IBU @ 5 Min. awesome!

I use it in Kolsch's.

Also have a gander flavour of the week threads. Theres one for Hallertau.

Cheers
Steve

Not 100% sure mate, but couldn't you substitute out any high %AA hop instead of the Hallertau for your 60 min boil?

My understanding is that this amount of boil time should contribute solely to bittering, and nothing to the taste. Then use your 80gms solely at the 30min and 15min additions.

I'm more than happy to be contradicted by some of the more experienced brewers, as I haven't tried this myself, but had some of Wardy's stout at the case swap that was bittered with Galaxy, and you couldn't pick any of the usual "passionfruit" smell from the initial hop addition, just the Pommie late hops.

Not 100% sure mate, but couldn't you substitute out any high %AA hop instead of the Hallertau for your 60 min boil?

My understanding is that this amount of boil time should contribute solely to bittering, and nothing to the taste. Then use your 80gms solely at the 30min and 15min additions.

Hi WB
I thought the same thing. But I made a munich helles not long ago with only a 60min hop addition. It was NZ hallertau, but you could definitely taste the hops in it.
It was a very subtle beer though, so the hops would probably have been almost undectable in other styles.

Not saying you'll get lots of flavours from the 60min addition, but you do get some.

hehe, this is what's great about brewing, everyone has a different opinion!

The purpose of this brew is really to showcase the flavour of the Hallertau rather than make a beautiful subtle lager or something. It's mostly for my own palate development purposes.

Chappo i'm just worried that if i drop the IBU's down below 20 (which your suggestion will result in) it will be totally unbalanced without the bitterness. But then again i have NFI really.

i'm half an hour into the boil now. decided to go with

200g Crystal steep
5L boil
40g @ 60 min
20g @ 45 min
20g @ 5 min
1.5kg LME
1kg DME
300g Dex

which gives me about 26 IBU or so. I really did want a little bit of bitterness in this so i decided to stick with it.

Next up is Galaxy if i can find it!

Sounds perfect mate!

You will only need a pinch of galaxy to get to 26 IBU's aggressive little bugger it is!

sweet, i'll get a 40g pack then.

hmmm got some leftover nelson sauvin and B-Saaz in the fridge, reckon they'd go well together? thinking of about double the weight of B-Saaz compared to nelson, it's another super strong flavour.

I'm more than happy to be contradicted by some of the more experienced brewers, as I haven't tried this myself, but had some of Wardy's stout at the case swap that was bittered with Galaxy, and you couldn't pick any of the usual "passionfruit" smell from the initial hop addition, just the Pommie late hops.

I considered doing a similar with with a planned pilsner because I'm using saaz and that sits at around 3%. However I really want to eliminate all variables I can when evaluating it so it makes sense to stick with the one when making a brew for that purpose
It will only be made with one malt as well.

@Neill: It's a good hop. Like chappo suggested, it works best when subtle. Good experiments.

FWIW i cracked one of these last night and it was brilliant. Absolute cracker. The hop flavour is nowhere near as strong as i was expecting, it's just very clean and crisp and super easy drinking. Will definately make this one again!

I've found that there is not much truth in the belief that 60 minute hop additions impart no flavour.

It's not huge, but it's there. Using a very characteristic hop (like Galaxy or Nelson) and boiling it for an hour leaves oodles of flavour in my beers.

IMO, the best way to assay a hop is to use only it for all additions.

Back