Half Wine Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KudaPucat

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm searching for flint (clear) glass wine bottles, in 375ml that take a cork.
I have had a quote for $4.50ea, and feel I'm getting ripped off, but I simply cannot find these anywhere!
I should very much appreciate somebody letting me know where I might acquire some.
Regards,
Hamish.

You could always have a look in a bottle shop and see if any of the local producers are using the type you are after then ring them and ask if you can buy a few off them?? Just a thought.

Geez - you could almost get them full of wine for that price. Check small airlines? I know they often serve them on flights, though I think they're screwtop and you'd need smaller than your usual corks. I know private patients at my local (small town) hospital used to get them too (to encourage them to use their private health insurance rather than just stay as public patients). Good thought actually - I might try and grab some myself when I get home. =)

I'll be using screwtops, but thanks =).

Check small airlines? I know they often serve them on flights, though I think they're screwtop and you'd need smaller than your usual corks.

They are 187mL and the ones on Qantas are PET now. Unless some other airlines still use em

They are 187mL and the ones on Qantas are PET now. Unless some other airlines still use em

Ah, my bad. I was thinking they were 1/2 size, but they're just the 1 serving ones - sorry. Do you know of any restaurants / pubs that serve 1/2 size bottles? They normally use carafes don't they? =(

Damn, the 1/2 size ones would be pretty awesome. Perhaps a bottlo might be able to hook you up. Hopefully someone in the know can hook you up.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Plasdene have 6 types, and they're the ppl who quoted me $4.50 ea.

Most sticky's are in half bottles, only expensive non-desert wines use half bottles.
I have half a dozen sticky's at home, all are cork, but a check in a decent bottlo on the weekend showed 30 half bottles, only 3 of which were cork, and the cheapest $30... but it was in Toorack ;-)

How would someone go about approaching a winery with such a request? How big a winery? better if they're smaller?

I have (old) comany contacts in O-I but I fear they'd want me to get a pallet if I was getting anything... I don't think O-I sell small scale to anybody. I'll make some calls though.
Thanks again for all the quick replies. FYI, my LHBS here has flint screw top bottles for $2 including closure.

Restaurants - maybe, I really dont' know about that. I've only ever drank a sticky or a muscat at home.
Brownbrothers use them, Fyfe Field, a couple of others...

The Gala tip was good, they sell 1/3 bottles, square, with cork (synthetic) for $1.55
Unfortunately they don't sell 1/2 bottles, but I'll keep them as a backup...

A solution has been found!

HomeMakeIt in Clayton, Vic sell boxes of 25 for $35ea
Which comes to $1.40ea
Much better than $4.10!!!!! The fellow on the phone was apologetic that his price of $1.40 was so high!!!!

Their number is 84059000
they're at
Unit 4
158 Wellington Rd
Clayton

If anybody else is interested he will sell them by the pallet, but it's a LOT of bottles ;-)

Last year he sold 1760 bottles to a pallet for $1299 + GST that's $1429 inc GST or $0.81/bottle which is 40% off.

He will need to get a current price if ppla re interested. I'm going to cross-post in the bulk buys section.

I'd be interested if they weren't clear. I could just ring them myself but do you happen to know if they have the same thing in brown or even green glass?

No I don't know sorry, I didn't ask.

Check this out: eBay Bottles
Unfortunately the auction has ended, but send the fella a message, at $0.50ea for green bottles, it's the way to go. I do however want clear.

What is your interest in green bottles? What are you brewing?

It's going to be a summer of Saison in my brewhouse. And some Belgian IPAs.

IPAs I recognise from the Mountain Goat Brewry, (I don't drink beer) and I assume you wont want wine bottles for that... so I can only assume that Saison is some kind of wine I've not heard of before?

IPAs I recognise from the Mountain Goat Brewry, (I don't drink beer) and I assume you wont want wine bottles for that... so I can only assume that Saison is some kind of wine I've not heard of before?

Saison is a french/belgian farmhouse ale - beer.

Yeah Saison is a beer traditionally brewed in farmhouses in what was known as Wallonia in Southern Belgium/Northern France. I guess they bottled into Champagne style bottles because that's what was most commonly available.

Latest posts

Back