Half Price Napisan (ww Select) 2kg $5.74 @ Woolies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rendo

WTF
Reaction score
Hi Dudes,

Woolies has my 2kg "fav soaker/napisan/sod perc" on half price this week for $5.74, bargain, it doesnt happen often, so snap it up lads. This is my stock standard soaker, I love it, works a treat with all my brewing gear, no scent, strong of sodium perc (34%).

Use it for heaps of things, cleaning scum from bottles, taking labels off bottles, cleaning fermenter with all the associated gear dumped inside the fermenter etc.... and more. Plus the wifey uses it in the washing machine too

Anyway, if u have been wondering what brand/type to buy etc, IMHO, this is the bomb! Do it! Hope it helps someone out there.

Sale ends next tues 25th Oct 2011 (end of day)

"Select 2kg Woolworths Oxygenated Soaker and Stain Remover" normally $11.48
WW_Soaker.JPG

Hi Dudes,

Woolies has my 2kg "fav soaker/napisan/sod perc" on half price this week for $5.74, bargain, it doesnt happen often, so snap it up lads. This is my stock standard soaker, I love it, works a treat with all my brewing gear, no scent, strong of sodium perc (34%).

Use it for heaps of things, cleaning scum from bottles, taking labels off bottles, cleaning fermenter with all the associated gear dumped inside the fermenter etc.... and more. Plus the wifey uses it in the washing machine too

Thanks for the heads up, heading out to do grocery shopping this morning, might have to stick an extra couple in the trolley :)

bump for those who didnt see the post....snap it up fellas, I bought 5 tubs, :) that will last the mrs(washing) and me (cleaning beer stuff) a long time!!

sale ends this tues night 25/10/11

Rendo

Will check it out

Hi Dudes,

Anyway, if u have been wondering what brand/type to buy etc, IMHO, this is the bomb! Do it! Hope it helps someone out there.

Sale ends next tues 25th Oct 2011 (end of day)

"Select 2kg Woolworths Oxygenated Soaker and Stain Remover" normally $11.48
View attachment 49363

Cheers, just picked up 2.

I got a lot of bottles of my grandfather who used them for bottling wine. A lot of them have red sediment on the bottom. I have soaked them with starsan and used a bottle brush but can't seem to get all of the sediment off the bottom as the brush us a little worn. Anyway, what mixture/ ratio would you use to get this sediment off? 1st time I've used this stuff. I've heard good thing about sodium perc.

Thanks

Also a big fan of Woolworths home brand napisan, use it for soaking everything and it all comes up a treat. For those that miss this sale, i've often found the 1kg tubs for under $3.

Also a big fan of Woolworths home brand napisan, use it for soaking everything and it all comes up a treat. For those that miss this sale, i've often found the 1kg tubs for under $3.

What ratio to water do you use Jayahdee?

Cheers, just picked up 2.

I got a lot of bottles of my grandfather who used them for bottling wine. A lot of them have red sediment on the bottom. I have soaked them with starsan and used a bottle brush but can't seem to get all of the sediment off the bottom as the brush us a little worn. Anyway, what mixture/ ratio would you use to get this sediment off? 1st time I've used this stuff. I've heard good thing about sodium perc.

Thanks

What ratio to water do you use Jayahdee?

Ratio will depend on what it is ur trying to do. My ratio...is a scoop here and there and she'll be right :) WEll not really, but kinda. U can be a bit liberal with it and not cause any issue. With things like Bleach/Vinegar u need to be careful, 1) cause its makes dangerous fumes esp if u mix bleach directly with vinegar 2) its strong shit.

When u think about it, napisan (and other brands etc etc) is used to primarily soak shit from babies nappies, firstly it does a good job& secondly it cant be that dangerous or they wouldnt use it for that purpose. Anyway, its very forgiving.

My general ratio is one cap per fermenter, after a brew, give the fermenter a wee wipe down with a non abrasive cloth and some hot/warm water to remove most of the crud. Then fill the fermenter up almost to the top with pretty hot water...chuck in the cap of napisan and stir a bit, wait a few mins and stir some more, fill up the remaining space with hot water. Dump all ur other goodies in that need a clean, eg spoons, bottler gadget (dismantled), tap (dismantled), whatever u use that will fit in the fermenter. Let it soak for 24-48 hours and ur done. Give it a good rinse or three and she's a beauty!!! Just get into it, u'll learn from exp.

Anyhow, with ur grandpa's wine bottles, i had the same experience. These bottles were dirty, stained, inside/out, beyond belief, fubar'd. I did an experiment and used all sorts of cleaners on bottles to see which was the best. Basically the best two were 1) Napisan(Sodium Perc) & 2) Bleach & Vinegar. I cleaned up a dirty dirty fermenter once with a napisan soak, then a bleach/vinegar soak, GOOD AS NEW, I still dont brew with it, but a great bottling bucket or good for cordial at parties. 20l cordial = crazy kids!

To clean that crud from the bottles I reckon u should put as hot water as u reckon the bottle will take without cracking, (tip...warm the bottle up under the running tap with hot/warm water), then put a good tablespoon and a pinch in each bottle. I then reckon leave it a week, maybe even leave some longer. Rinse, Rinse. U might need two soakings?

For fun, why dont u try bleach and vinegar (50:50)on one bottle too. First add tablespoon or so of bleach, then fill most of the bottle up with COLD water, then add the same amount of vinegar as u used for bleach. Leave for a week. Rinse and rinse. DO NOT breathe in these fumes, its chlorine gas...yummy NOT. Seriously.

So how did my mates grandpa's bottles turn out. (almost) like new. There were some bottles that just seemed to have a sort of light clouding in some areas that I couldnt remove, I think that this was more of an etching in the glass, other than that, perfect!

Also, what did u want to use the wine bottles for, what sort of seal do they have? eg crown, cork, screwtop etc etc...let me know. How big (eg litres) are they?

Hope that helps

Rendo

Thanks Rendo

Might get a few of these tomorrow. Just in time. That is a good price

Nev

Ratio will depend on what it is ur trying to do. My ratio...is a scoop here and there and she'll be right :) WEll not really, but kinda. U can be a bit liberal with it and not cause any issue. With things like Bleach/Vinegar u need to be careful, 1) cause its makes dangerous fumes esp if u mix bleach directly with vinegar 2) its strong shit.

When u think about it, napisan (and other brands etc etc) is used to primarily soak shit from babies nappies, firstly it does a good job& secondly it cant be that dangerous or they wouldnt use it for that purpose. Anyway, its very forgiving.

My general ratio is one cap per fermenter, after a brew, give the fermenter a wee wipe down with a non abrasive cloth and some hot/warm water to remove most of the crud. Then fill the fermenter up almost to the top with pretty hot water...chuck in the cap of napisan and stir a bit, wait a few mins and stir some more, fill up the remaining space with hot water. Dump all ur other goodies in that need a clean, eg spoons, bottler gadget (dismantled), tap (dismantled), whatever u use that will fit in the fermenter. Let it soak for 24-48 hours and ur done. Give it a good rinse or three and she's a beauty!!! Just get into it, u'll learn from exp.

Anyhow, with ur grandpa's wine bottles, i had the same experience. These bottles were dirty, stained, inside/out, beyond belief, fubar'd. I did an experiment and used all sorts of cleaners on bottles to see which was the best. Basically the best two were 1) Napisan(Sodium Perc) & 2) Bleach & Vinegar. I cleaned up a dirty dirty fermenter once with a napisan soak, then a bleach/vinegar soak, GOOD AS NEW, I still dont brew with it, but a great bottling bucket or good for cordial at parties. 20l cordial = crazy kids!

To clean that crud from the bottles I reckon u should put as hot water as u reckon the bottle will take without cracking, (tip...warm the bottle up under the running tap with hot/warm water), then put a good tablespoon and a pinch in each bottle. I then reckon leave it a week, maybe even leave some longer. Rinse, Rinse. U might need two soakings?

For fun, why dont u try bleach and vinegar (50:50)on one bottle too. First add tablespoon or so of bleach, then fill most of the bottle up with COLD water, then add the same amount of vinegar as u used for bleach. Leave for a week. Rinse and rinse. DO NOT breathe in these fumes, its chlorine gas...yummy NOT. Seriously.

So how did my mates grandpa's bottles turn out. (almost) like new. There were some bottles that just seemed to have a sort of light clouding in some areas that I couldnt remove, I think that this was more of an etching in the glass, other than that, perfect!

Also, what did u want to use the wine bottles for, what sort of seal do they have? eg crown, cork, screwtop etc etc...let me know. How big (eg litres) are they?

Hope that helps

Rendo

Thanks for the in depth reply Rendo.

The bottles are the older 750ml CUB bottles, crown seals and with be used for homebrew beer.

My impatience got the better of me last night so I mixed a cap full of the nappisan to 1 litre of water and put about 50-10 mls into the bottom of each bottle. I mixed it with cold water as I was sure if hot water would affect the sodium perc like it does bleach. So can you use hot water with sodium perc?

I noted the very dirty ones and set them aside to see how well this stuff works. I have used the bleach and vinegar before. I still have about 100 botles to do, so tonight I'll find some dirty ones and compare the bleach and vinegar to the nappisan.

Cheers
Rick

Would be even better value if they filled the damn thing to the top! Just like potato chips they think we are stupid and assume what we see is what we get. What a waste of packaging that surely adds up after the hundreds of thousands they make and ship and at cost that is surely passed onto us.

The ratio I use? um pour some in and if it dosen't look like enough I pour in more. I am under the strong belief that that stuff isn't dangerous as long as it is rinsed off which is easy, after soaking and rinsing I think give anything i've cleaned a one over with Iodophor before use as well.

A cap full from the 1L container in a 30L fermenter does the job pretty well.

Picked up some today, kudos on the find!

CUB crown bottles...tops!!!

Yeah for sure, I find napisan works best with hot water, not warm,...HOT....I use as hot as I can get it from the tap

let me know how you go....I am intrigued, do a few more with HOT water

rendo

Thanks for the in depth reply Rendo.

The bottles are the older 750ml CUB bottles, crown seals and with be used for homebrew beer.

My impatience got the better of me last night so I mixed a cap full of the nappisan to 1 litre of water and put about 50-10 mls into the bottom of each bottle. I mixed it with cold water as I was sure if hot water would affect the sodium perc like it does bleach. So can you use hot water with sodium perc?

I noted the very dirty ones and set them aside to see how well this stuff works. I have used the bleach and vinegar before. I still have about 100 botles to do, so tonight I'll find some dirty ones and compare the bleach and vinegar to the nappisan.

Cheers
Rick

Would be even better value if they filled the damn thing to the top! Just like potato chips they think we are stupid and assume what we see is what we get. What a waste of packaging that surely adds up after the hundreds of thousands they make and ship and at cost that is surely passed onto us.

From what I recall when I was in the industry, the container needs to be larger when it's being filled.
During the course of packing, transportation, shelf packing, the particles compact and the physical volume
reduces, but the net volume remains the same. Interestingly stuff when seen firsthand.

CUB crown bottles...tops!!!

Yeah for sure, I find napisan works best with hot water, not warm,...HOT....I use as hot as I can get it from the tap

let me know how you go....I am intrigued, do a few more with HOT water

rendo

Well 2 days soaking with nappisan and cold water I gave the dirtiest bottle I had a shake and tipped out the nappisan and rinsed it. I could tell when I tipped it out it had done pretty well because of the colour of it. Looked at the bottom of the bottle and it was crystal clean! Woo hoo. Great stuff. Less scrubbing for me. Previously starsan for around 1 week hardy done a thing. I'll try the bleach and vinegar in a couple of dirty ones today to compare, will also leave them for 2 days. I'll also try a couple with hot water and nappisan. This sediment was stubborn and took some moving with a bottle brush, with some I still couldn't get them clean enough for my standard before the nappisan.

Latest posts

Back