Half Batch 30 minute IPA Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsonAd

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I bought a 15L water container for Bunnings which I'm hoping will be perfect for small batch brewing and I'm hoping to get some feedback on a half batch (12L) IPA recipe I was looking to do shortly.

Here it is.

Batch Size12L
Boil size 6L

US05 Yeast
1.5kg Light LME
300g Amber DME
100g Dextrose (thought about going 400g of either all Amber DME or all Dex, thought amber for colour and dex to dry it out a little but welcome advice on this)
120g of Crystal

12g Magnum (14.5%) - 30 Mins - 21IBU
30g - Cascade (6.3%) - 15 Mins - 15. IBU
30g - Centenial (9.3%) - 15 Mins 22 IBU
30g - Citra (9.2%) - 2 Mins 3 IBU

Dry Hop (20g Citra + 20g Centenial 5 days)

Brewers Friend says almost 63 IBU and approx 5.8% ABV

I'm hoping to do a few small batches so am keen to get a solid Extract w grains base sorted so I can experiment with hops. Anyway let me know what you think.

Looks good.
You might want to do a bigger boil, probably the full 12 litres in this case, as you will not get your 126 IBU in a 6 litres.

Cheers

Thanks. Unfortunately A stupidly low cupboard above my stove precludes me from fitting anything bigger than an 8 l pot. But am only really looking at getting 60-70 IBU anyway.

what is your OG target before then after diluting the 6L to make 12L for ferment?

Not really sure, Using Ians spreadsheet, (which is playing up for me a little with 6 l boil) I think if I'm reading it correctly it suggests OG will be 1056, but I don't konw if that is pre or post dilution...

Use the grain steepings and a portion of the dry malt for the 6L boil, to get your bitterness. Ian's spreadsheet will tell you how much DME to add for a 6L boil. Add to fermenter, top up with the extra water, sugar and remaining DME... away you go.

best not to use two different software methods of calculating a brew as something is bound to go astray

Edit:
to clarify, i get roughly 1054 on ian's spreadsheet.

Thanks guys. Yep I plan on using the steeped grains and a portion of either the DME or lme in the boil to get about 1040 for decent hop utilisation and add the rest to the fv. Only reason I went to brewers friend app was because ianhs spreadsheet didn't seem to change the ibus when I changed the boil volume.. Think it was likely something I'd done though rather than the spreadsheet issue. Can someone confirm that I'd be looking at around mid 60s IBU with the recipe above? I keep getting different results. Also any other feedback on the recipe? More dex, less amber DME perhaps?

You need to select yes in the hop concentration factor of the spreadsheet.
Another thing I have read is that water starts getting saturated hop wise at about 100IBUs meaning in your case if you are going to dilute 50% the max you will be able to get is 50. Or you going to be adding alot of hops for not much gain. Maybe you could boil up two pots at the same time?

JoeyJoeJoe said:
You need to select yes in the hop concentration factor of the spreadsheet.
Another thing I have read is that water starts getting saturated hop wise at about 100IBUs meaning in your case if you are going to dilute 50% the max you will be able to get is 50. Or you going to be adding alot of hops for not much gain. Maybe you could boil up two pots at the same time?
That's what I am saying except it's probably closer to a max of 80 ibu, so you will only end up with about 40ibu in the final volume.

IsonAd said:
Thanks. Unfortunately A stupidly low cupboard above my stove precludes me from fitting anything bigger than an 8 l pot. But am only really looking at getting 60-70 IBU anyway.
You can pick up a gas bottle and burner from BCF for pretty cheap.

Good heads up I didn't know about there was a saturation ceiling for hop utilisation. I take it ianhs spreadsheet and other software dont/cant take that into account, because most of the calculators I've used account for boil size vs batch size but don't seem to have a saturation point, unless I'm missing it somewhere(highly likely). I will have to rethink my approach, maybe a Texas two-step approach as jjj suggested or bite the bullet and buy a burner. Anyone had experience with particular burner from bcf suggested by phoneyhuh? Suppose there is a few existing threads somewhere.

you'll get 59IBU by my entry into Ianhs spreadsheet and 1054

i think you could add a little extra malt in the recipe to bring up to SG range for american IPA if you're pedantic.

also, 40g dry hop is alot for a 12L batch, 3.3g/L. maybe 1-2g/L?

You're right not sure what I was thinking. Will drop the dry hop down to about 10gms each. I might add A little more malt but am not really fussed about fitting into the aipa category.

59 IBU is about what I was shooting for so I might give it a go and if it doesn't turn out at least it's only a half batch. I'll be sure to report back on how it goes. Thanks for the feedback guys. Very helpful. Just out of interest, has anyone tried this hop combo before?

IsonAd said:
Anyone had experience with particular burner from bcf suggested by phoneyhuh? Suppose there is a few existing threads somewhere.
I had a similar situation with doing stove tops, except my stove can't maintain a rolling boil with more than 7L.
I checked out the BCF burner but bought a similar one on eBay for $129. Bloody ripper!!
Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAMPFIRE-MEGA-JET-POWER-COOKER-CRAB-COOKER-EXTREME-HEAT-/281180125241?pt=AU_Outdoor_Living_BBQs_Cookware&hash=item4177a43839
(no affiliation blah blah)

This puppy holds a (vigorous) rolling boil on the lowest setting possible with 20L wort. Great for extracts and could easily handle 70L+. You'd need to do a bit of building/tweaking if you were to integrate this into a gravity fed/HERMS/RIMS brewing setup but its possible.

Feel free to PM me for a demo seeing as we're both in Canberra. haha!

Thanks mrtwalky I might just take you up on that. You north or sth side? I'm considering moving to biab soon so will def need new kit, considering going down the urn route as well. Anyway I out down the brew tonight. As above with additional 100g of amber DME and dex. Also added 10g citra and 5g cascade at flame out. Smelt pretty good going in the fermenter. Will update as I go.

I can boil my 19L BigW pot on one of those camp stoves with the disposable butane cylinders. Cheap way to get a bigger boil.

Also, I just use the "normal" Bunnings fermenter for my small batches. I found the 15L water cube (if it is the same one you are using) to be a bit of a pain come bottling to get all the beer out with those two big "dips" in the bottom.

Dammag- is the camp stove you're talking about the one or two burner? Presume they're the ~$30 ish jobs from bigw or bunnings or various other places? I looked at them but didn't think they'd have enough power. Don't know what the btu is do you? I hear ya on the 15l cube thing, regretting that decision. I've tilted it so hopefully the sludge drains to the dip opposite the tap but still think it's going to be awkward. The tap also didn't get much Of a flow going when I tested it... Oh well live and learn.

Mr twalky, I'm also on the nth side. Will def hit you up for a demo sometime. Cheers.

IsonAd. The stove is just the single burner one. I have two different models and one works better than the other. I just did a brew this morning and easily boiled 16L. I bring it to the boil with the lid on and then it holds a rolling boil easily and has boiled over on me when adding hops at times. I can't find a BTU rating.

Latest posts

Back