Gushers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.DJ.

Reaction score
A previous post in the Commercial beers has prompted this thread/question..

What exactly causes a (commercial) beer to gush

I have had a few Mountain Goat beers gush and lately, a few Murrays beers do this aswell They werent infected. Tasted ok through the carbonation

Poor handling? Issues at the bottling line?

And why dont your megaswills ever do this??

Could be wrong here, but i think those brews you've mentioned are bottle conditioned?

Megaswill are filtered, pasturised and force carbed, so the amount of CO2 is fixed not variable. When bottle conditioning, the conditioning yeast is responsible for the amount of Co2 generated for carbonation, whilst this is controllable to a degree, it is less controlled (more suseptable to external/enviromental influences) than force carbed beers.

Cheers SJ

The climbs out of the bottle when you open it. Like champagne can but it isn't shaken up and can go on for much longer. I had one recently (possibly .DJ.'s inspiration?) and it easily kept climbing out of the bottle for 5 minutes.

I understand (have read here) that it can be an infection but I don't know any other hallmarks aside from the gushing.

I have had ones come out of the bottle, but maily come out of a glass when poured..

they are that carbonated, that the head actually GROWS!!!

I wonder is it a brewery issue or do places like wollies/dans/BWS simply not store the beer correctly...??

When I saw the title of this thread I thought I must have been on the wrong website.

Nothing useful to add sorry.

I have had ones come out of the bottle, but maily come out of a glass when poured..

they are that carbonated, that the head actually GROWS!!!

I wonder is it a brewery issue or do places like wollies/dans/BWS simply not store the beer correctly...??
Was the beer from Dan's?
If so, it may have to do with the warehousing and transport involved. Dan's warehouse is in Victoria, IIRC, and the beer has a long journey back to stores outside Vic.

As for storage quality, I'd think that all liquor/ beer storage is subject to similar malice and/or ignorance. That is, wines are stored cold, while beer sits in the sun and heat.

my 2 cents

I've been drinking a fair few Coopers Sparkling tallies lately to build up my bottle supplies and note that they (bottle conditioned) are way more fizzy than megalagers.

This is a quite frequent occurance for mates who drink Carlton Cold...could it have something to do with the long neck?

It can be from Fusarium infection from the malt, iirc. Causes gushing even if the beer tastes otherwise fine.

It can be from Fusarium infection from the malt, iirc. Causes gushing even if the beer tastes otherwise fine.
this is a big concern for micro beers, these beers need to handeld like milk. these big stockists like dans and so for need to put the beers straight into the fridge . non pasturised and non filterd beers wont last long sitting in the heat and light on a bottle shop floor, just have a sample on the floor and the rest in the coolroom it cant be that hard. these gushers and infected brews people r getting sometimes makes me think for certain these beers have been handeld wrongly from delivery.

They may have gotten their calcs wrong when working out their priming sugar rates before bottling - happens quite often with quite a few of the micros.

i was drinking a coopers best extra the other night and i poured out most of the beer into a glass save about 1cm in the bottle,gave it a little swirl to stir up the yeast then poured in a couple ml's and watched a massive foam over boil up from the bottom of the glass a few seconds later and almost come spilling out, very similair to a "gusher", with the little time delay before it comes foaming out. a rather strange phenomenom indeed.
somebody call up triple j and get dr Carl on the case! :beerbang:

It's not much of a "phenomenon"... the added momentum from the extra liquid promoted CO2 coming out of solution of the beer, as did the nucleation sites provided by the chunks of yeast.

Back