Guinness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunous

I Drink VB
Reaction score
So tell me, u fancy pancy home brewers.

Do u consider Guinness a damn good brew, or a once a year excuse to drink it and grab some Irish ladies tits while wearing a big green hat.

I love the great black nectar, but have only one good mate who will drink it. Father and one brother will, but they don't count.

Tell me, love it or hate it...

Love it

Much better off tap and much better in Dublin but the imported cans are great.

Beer cans too- not the lady type- not that there is anything wrong with either, but its a Guinness topic

Definite +1 beer for me- and I dig hoppy IPAs APAs etc! still love it!

I prefer murphys but don't mind it. Never had either in their homeland though

I've pretty much always got a couple of cans of Guinness in the fridge, and am kegging a clone today, can't wait to see how mine compares in a side by side.

Is it just me or does it taste like bitumen smells?
I luv this shit.

Is it weird that Guinness is basically the only mega swill (sort of, mass produced the world over) that doesn't get shit on by craft beer drinkers?

Hope you like Coopers stout Shuan......cause its coming to Roches on tap....probably after the Celebration Ale is finished....shame you missed the Vintage.

One thing I do now and then is make beef and Guinness pies. Except I use murphys. Grab 4, 2 go in the filling, 2 go in me while I'm making them.

I spent ten grand on guinness years ago when the exchange rate was shit. Well it wasn't all spent on Guinness but it was so damn expensive (relatively) that I could've gotten slaughtered at home for the price of three pints.

The visit to the St James gate brewery was the best. If you ever go, make sure you do the tour with a busload of Japanese tourists. They love the tour but hate Guinness. Usually one intrepid soul will try a pint but the faces they pull scares half the others off. They in turn give away their complimentary pint ticket to the nearest drunk Aussie tourist.

It was during that visit that I learnt that 5% of Guinness is soured guinness that has been pasteurised and added back to the vat. Can anyone confirm that?

I tried a K&K clone many years ago that tasted like bitumen initially but aged so well I still regard it as one of my best brews ever. I have one bottle left. It must be ten years old now.

If anyone has an AG recipe for a decent clone please PM me. It's time I tried again.

PS Can anyone insert one of those surveys into this post for shaunous?

I love it. Having it in Dublin ruined it on tap for me. Dear lord, how many pints I drank in that pub just down the hill from the brewery. The cans still do it for me, but I really must drop round the old Dubh Linn for a pint sometime soon.

Mardoo, we were living over the Foggy Dew. We referred to it as the Boggy Spew however as the patrons would regularly puke on our doorstep.

Another big fan here. At a few local establishments where the selection is limited this is my go to beer.
I love this stuff going in. Out...not so much.

in late 05 i also managed to get some of the 'brew 39' into me- was a special edition draught . Was much smoother than the original, if that is possible- only issue i 'remember' is trying to walk around temple bar- wasn't good.

My best story is drinking with the irish mates one night and finding a place with Coopers Sparkling ale- id ben gone 11 months, and had not seen a drop (was in South America nearly the entire time). Got very excited (had already a few pints of genius under the belt). Proceeded to tell em all how good it was. Bought three stubbies, and the comments from them were just how bad it was! worst part was, semi un beknown to me, was the cost- three stubbies cost me 33 euro! at the time nearly 50 bucks. I enjoyed them but!

oh well.

the car bombs are also a good laugh over there- pint of Guinness with a shot of baileys dropped in- needs to be skulled otherwise goes everywhere- man happy days in Ireland, happy days!!

shaunous said:
or a once a year excuse to drink it and grab some Irish ladies tits while wearing a big green hat.
I have gotta get a green hat and a couple of cans of Guiness :lol: :ph34r:

I knew I couldn'tve been the only one who went on the brewery tour just to get absolutely trolleyed on the free pints the Japanese tourists leave behind. Cheapest place to get drunk in Dublin! It definitely does taste better over there too. I used to get the ferry over from Britain, the bar on the ferry served Dublin guinness and the pub at the train station served English guinness, so I've had a pint of each about half an hour apart. There was no comparison.

It's OK. Prefer tap with clean lines to bottle or can, prefer various other stouts to guiness (coopers, invalid, murphys, Sam Smiths) but I'm happy enough drinking pints of it.

Happy enough with fresh kilkenny too. Not mind blowing but I don't always go to the pub to get my mind blown.

Innuendos on going to the pub to get anything else blown may now ensue.

Back