Guinness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here an interesting show on Guinness and the factory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carlton Black would have to be the worst beer ever made. It sort of tastes like your eating soap. Its trully horrible. If I had a choice between it and rancid lumpy 3mnth old milk...tge milk would win hands down.

Sam smith imperial IS delicious. As is their organic apple cider, their organic choc stout (sweet! But amazing) and their oatmeal stout is good too. Have a four pines in the fridge to try...

I absolutely love the stuff!
I once told my wife I would make a Guinness pie for dinner, after dinner she casually said she couldn't taste the Guinness, I said any bloody wonder! you didn't really expect me to tip a can of good Guiness into a bloody stew did you??? the Guinness was purely for the chef (me) for inspirational purposes!

Whatever happened to Guinness 'original' ? Was around about 10 years ago I guess in tallies, was a more chocolaty throw down style Guinness. I used to buy it a fair bit and it just disappeared one day.

Also a Coopers Stout lover here :icon_drool2: maybe my favorite beer.

As strange as it sounds when out at restraunts in Bali it went down really good. I prefered it over the bintang. From memory it was guiness export, even had a few mega swill mates have a few before switching to ridiculously cheap cocktails.

By way of update, I've given Cooper's stout and 4 Pines stout a try. Both good beers but I very very much prefer the Cooper's.

I had a Guinness can and enjoyed it as well. Still prefer Cooper's though.

I've not been able to find Sam Smith's stout nearby me in Rowville. I obviously have to broaden my search. I'll pick up some Mountain Goat stout tomorrow but I strongly suspect that I'll enjoy it. I'm loving stouts, I'm annoyed at myself for wasting the past decade plus drinking beer and ignoring stouts.

Worth the effort to fins SAm SMith's.
Haven't tried their stouts, but theire pale, IPA, and porter are fantastic.

Don't mind the occassional Guiness but not a huge fan.
Can't drink Coopers Best...way too roasty for me....mind the ol' tastebuds have been 'educated' a bit since last time I tried it, may have to give it another whirl.

I like Guiness, Murphy's and Brains in the can. Coopers Best is a classic, my go to winter slab. Sam Smith's Oatmeal and Imperial Stout are brilliant, Courage Imperial Stout is another favourite as Bear Republic Black Bear Stout. Alesmith Speedway Stout is one I try to get once a year, so bloody good.

Stout rules.

I like guiness on tap, and in the widget cans. I'm brewing a stout soon so wanted to try a co2 non widget version. But I just opened a locally brewed long neck and it's not exciting me.
Metallic, thin, too dry and the aroma is almost exactly that of a aussie lager like a Hahn premium...although if they use a lager yeast that might explain it.

I'll go back to coopers, love the roastiness.
Any other good stouts to try? Prefer not to be in widget cans,as I'm getting ideas for a batch next week.

Southwark is good for roastiness. Favourite balanced is founders breakfast... Incredible.

Latest posts

Back