Guinness!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tidapete, Im due for making another big stout in the next couple of weeks ready for winter, just wondering where do you get the molasses up on the sunshine coast, nearer to Maroochydore the better for me. Thanks mate.

I thought molasses was just black treacle? (available in most supermarkets)

Yeh if want to use molasses in your stout up here in Qld, ive just got 1 1/2kg for $1 from my local produce store. Apparently it is sold in bulk up here, just take a container.

tdh said:
TroughLolly, always add a5t least an equal amount of enzyme rich malt (pale or Pils) when using flaked grains, otherwise the brew will contain unconverted starch and be mighty unstable.

And as per Jo Vial, 140g is not worth the trouble, up it to at least 500g.

tdh
JM & TDH,
Thanks for the correction - I got carried away in my post, rabbiting on about stouts that I forgot the fact that this was an extract / grain recipe and not an all grainer. Of course the flaked grains will need something with Diastatic power to help sort out those starches. And yes, 150g is a bit light on for flaked barley - I agree with JM that 600g of Flaked Barley mixed with 1.2Kg of base malt would do the job nicely.

Sorry about that ;)

Cheers,
TL

Tallgum said:
Hey Tidapete, Im due for making another big stout in the next couple of weeks ready for winter, just wondering where do you get the molasses up on the sunshine coast, nearer to Maroochydore the better for me. Thanks mate.
[post="42639"][/post]​

Hey Tallgum,

Just stumbled on this thread whilst trawling for Guinness info. Sorry that I never answered your post. I hope you found some in time :) . Molasses is very hard to come by & I could only find it in the 'Health' section of Coles at Caloundra ($2 plus for 550g). Coles at Mooloolaba had run out, so if there is a Coles up your way that may be the way to go. :)

Behind the Plaza next to the Theo's and Radio Station building opposite the Office shop is an Organic/Vege shop that has Molasses, in bulk if you need it. Also has lots of flaked grain, some organic. Sorry don't know the street name.

Hey guys
I think that Shawn has been the only one to suggest using 1084 yeast with your stout. No offence to morgans yeast, it served me well before I dscovered Wyeast. 1084 is the Irish Ale yeast, and if you are looking at doing stouts or porters over a long period, then a pack of this is well worth the investment, just make up a few starters from the original pack, and it will keep you in yeast for a dozen (or 2 dozen) brews. If yer not gonna be making starters out of it, it could be a little expensive though. Thats my 2c worth anyway
Trent

Latest posts

Back