Guinness Draught Vs Invalid Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit: also of possible interest, due to the long and complex argy bargy between the UK and Ireland, Guinness progressively sourced more and more of its raw materials from the USA and Europe to supplement Irish Barley (not a lot grown there) so the hops AFAIK are American as well as most of the barley for the malt. So it's a distinctly Irish brew with little or nothing in common with UK styles. They had a brewery in London from the 1930s but it closed down several years ago when Guinness moved to a greenfields site outside Dublin and took it all back into Ireland.

Hey, just a few points I might touch on. Guinness still operates from St James Gate in Dublin city. There were whispers of a move to a green field site a few years back, but I would guess that the collapse of the Irish property market circa 2008, they decided it wasn't worth it. London operations were moved into the St james gate site, which now occupies around 20Ha. There is quite a lot of brewers barley grown in Ireland ( as a % of the acreage of cereal crops), but as Guinness is one of the largest breweries in the world, and Ireland is a pretty small place, they have to import a lot. There's very little hop growing in Ireland, so they would be mostly imported too as you said.

Ireland was fecking fantastic. Black & white pudding, little pubs, friendly people, and our first case of bedbugs courtesy of a shite B&B in Dublin. F##k those little buggers.

When I was over there (2000), Guinness had a stab at a wheat beer called Breo.
From memory it was a very nice drop. I even got a coaster for it in my collection, along with one in spanish. Ahh beer coasters, gotta love free souvineers.

Whenever & Wherver you drink Guiness here it will not be good, ESPECIALLY on Tap. It is not even a close to the genuine article.

I'm from the UK and Guiness was my weapon of choice when living there and in Dublin. It's feckin outstanding.

I've always enjoyed a dark ale and a few stouts. I could never get into Guinness though. Just couldn't stand the taste. I played Gaelic football for three years and copped so much crap from the Irish boys about not drinking Guinness, especially on St Paddys day.

Last year I was in N Ireland with my wife, her parents, and her auntie and uncle, who is a born-and-bred Belfastian. We went to a few of his old pubs and were smashing through the Guinness' and I was really enjoying them. I had one when we got back to Brisbane and it was not even close to being the same beer. The taste had more of the extreme ends and not much balance in the middle.

I had a Guinness on tap the other day at a pommy club. Very disappointed.
Had never had it before but thought it was supposed to be a good brew.
It tasted like a kit brew fermented at 29 deg.
I went back to drinking Hahn 3.5

If I could brew a kit brew at 29deg and have it taste like guinness I'd be pretty ******* stoked.

I'm about to brew a Foreign Extra Stout at 25 degrees (with Wyeast 1084) - I'll let you know how I get on B)

The BIL went to Ireland a few months ago, brought me back a bottle of Guiness with my name on it (from the shop at the brewery if I recall correctly). I'm not sure if it's the same as what they have on tap over there, or an export version or what ever, but it was way better than any I've had in pubs here, bottled/canned or tap. Wish he'd gotten more

The BIL went to Ireland a few months ago, brought me back a bottle of Guiness with my name on it (from the shop at the brewery if I recall correctly). I'm not sure if it's the same as what they have on tap over there, or an export version or what ever, but it was way better than any I've had in pubs here, bottled/canned or tap. Wish he'd gotten more

It is different to what you get in Ireland... I read somewhere that the secret to Guniness is a proportion of soured wort thats then pasturised and added back in...

you can get good guinness in Australia, it is just hard to find. I have been to the Adelaide Irish club on St pats with some irish visitors and walked out because they were serving crap.
There is one pub in Adelaide that usually has the good stuff but even then I have returned a pint, the barman said I was wrong because a bunch of irish guys were drinking it and enjoying it. Funnily enough he came over a few minutes later and apologized, said the irish guys complained as well on the next round!

How do we know which is the "good" guinness?
Do the kegs have a special little marking on them that only the Irish can read?

My response would be when it tastes good! Thatis the hard part, if you have been to Ireland you will know what the good stuff tastes like, the bad stuff is worse than the cans.

I have no idea what the difference is between the good and bad, just that there is a definite difference n

had another Murphys can last night.
Wow, this is definitely a step up from Guinness cans.

If I could brew a kit brew at 29deg and have it taste like guinness I'd be pretty ******* stoked.

Well lets put it this way.
I have tasted some pretty low grade home brew that tastes better than this Guinness.

Cheers

Tried the Mildura Brewery Choc Hops last night.
Not bad, has a chocolate and vanilla taste to it. Certainly a drink to enjoy on a cold winters night once its warmed up a bit from fridge temps. The wife commented it was one of the nicest beers she had tasted in awhile, and thanks to my constant purchasing of new craft beers for product research, shes tasted a lot.

Dans has it on special at the moment, $16.90 for a 4 pack.

Tried the Mildura Brewery Choc Hops last night.
Not bad, has a chocolate and vanilla taste to it. Certainly a drink to enjoy on a cold winters night once its warmed up a bit from fridge temps. The wife commented it was one of the nicest beers she had tasted in awhile, and thanks to my constant purchasing of new craft beers for product research, shes tasted a lot.

Dans has it on special at the moment, $16.90 for a 4 pack.

Give the Youngs Double Choc a go next time. That's my favourite choc dominant stout. Unfortunately, it's not the cheapest stout around and I've not seen it in packs, only by the bottle or case...

Give the Youngs Double Choc a go next time. That's my favourite choc dominant stout. Unfortunately, it's not the cheapest stout around and I've not seen it in packs, only by the bottle or case...

Ive tried it, Liquorland had it on special for $5 a stubbie a few months back so I brought 4 of them. Enjoyed them too.

Ive tried it, Liquorland had it on special for $5 a stubbie a few months back so I brought 4 of them. Enjoyed them too.

Ah good show. I was witholding on the Mildura Choc as I was planning a trip to their brewery this year, but I'm probably just going to do a tour of the three breweries up near Healsville and surrounds instead now, so I might have to get me a 4 pack. Cheers

There may be a difference between the Guinness brewed in Ireland and the Guinness brewed under licence in Australia.

I take it you didn't read the thread before posting.

The Invalid stout is probably my favorite commercial stout.

Back