Guinness Clone, But More A Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tehdilgerer

Reaction score
Hello all mighty AHB,
For my third brew, im thinking of making a stouty stout, i quite enjoy guinness, so along those sorts of lines.
I doubt ill be able to make a clone, but something delicious will do and i need some of your expertise in relation to my special grains...
Current recipe idea:

3kgs Coopers Pale Malt extract (or light, not sure what its called)
(x)g Roast barley malt
(y)g Crystal Malt Dark
(z)g Chocolate Malt Pale
70g East Kent Goldings @ 60mins
20g EKG @ 20mins
US-04 Yeasties

Iv never steeped grains before, so am unsure if you can add too much (ie ruin a brew) or not enough etc. Currently thinking 200g of each, but that just a number i think seems nice, and the brew calcs say that adds enough colour... Also, is that too much hops? Im not a fan of the real bitter stouts, so id rather not add too much, id like a guinness sort of bitterness/taste, not a coopers best extra stout.
Any help would be mush appreciated ;

I also have Caramunich II Malt ,Carared Malt, Carahell Malt, Caraaroma Malt and pils if they would be more suited. Same for the hops, if EKG is no good.

as a rough guide for malts-% of grain bill-roasted barley 1-2%,dark crystal,pale choc,carared,caramunich 5-10%,carahell,caraaroma 10-15%,carapils 3-40% these are a guide from craftbrewer site,I made a nice guinness style not too bitter
1 can coopers dark
caraaroma 150grm
caramunich 150grm
lite choc 100grm
med crystal 200grm
pils 200grm
ldme 200grm
be1 1kg
ek goldings 15 min,saf04
your recipe 3 cans 1kg grain 22ltrs will be about 10.5%alc :eek:

as a rough guide for malts-% of grain bill-roasted barley 1-2%,dark crystal,pale choc,carared,caramunich 5-10%,carahell,caraaroma 10-15%,carapils 3-40% these are a guide from craftbrewer site,I made a nice guinness style not too bitter
1 can coopers dark
caraaroma 150grm
caramunich 150grm
lite choc 100grm
med crystal 200grm
pils 200grm
ldme 200grm
be1 1kg
ek goldings 15 min,saf04
your recipe 3 cans 1kg grain 22ltrs will be about 10.5%alc :eek:
What calculator are you using to get 10.5%?

I'm getting 4.6% ABV if kegged and 4.9% if bottle-primed.

What calculator are you using to get 10.5%?

I'm getting 4.6% ABV if kegged and 4.9% if bottle-primed.

He's used 3 cans for the measurement, not 3kgs malt extract as per the OP. That's the difference in the alc. %...

Dont be stingy with the roast barley - bradsbrew and myself often put a kilo of RB into a stout, comes out delicious. I would definitely go 500g first time, and it goes ok in an extract brew without mashing. Welcome to the dark world of stouts. Also if you really want an Irish flavour, lash out on a pack of Wyeast 1085 Irish Ale liquid yeast and ferment it at 22 degrees. :beerbang:

Why don't we have a leprechaun emoticon? :blink:

Cheers fellas, ill definitely look into getting the irish yeast for this then, cant hurt ;)
Ill have a crack at putting 500g Roast Barley in, and 100-200g of the other malts..

Is the hop schedule ok? Iv been tweaking it in the speadsheet, still unsure of whether it is too much or not. Dont really want a bitter stout, but if there is not enough bitterness i have heard the sweetness of the malt can override the beer, and make it undrinkable/shiet. True?

Back