Guiness Recipe For Beersmith

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juzz1981

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone have a good recipe for Guiness that they have as a beersmith file?
If so, could anyone pls upload one?

Please :unsure:

Have you had a look at the sample recipes in beersmith (or downloaded the sampe recipe file from the website)? I'm sure there's a couple in there.

I don't have a beersmith file for you, but the recipe for guiness is pretty simple:
70% Pale malt
20% flaked barley
10% roast barley
OG: 1042
Bittered to 42 IBU (with your hop of choice)
irish ale yeast or even just US05.

This is pretty much the recipe from 'Brew Your Own British Ale at Home' and from a post I saw on a uk forum, it is the recipe guinness use. As for the soured component of guinness, I can't help you, but the above recipe does produce a very good stout.

Christ!
I had a look on the beersmith site, how do you choose from all those recipes.. there are 1000's

I don't have a beersmith file for you, but the recipe for guiness is pretty simple:
70% Pale malt
20% flaked barley
10% roast barley
OG: 1042
Bittered to 42 IBU (with your hop of choice)
irish ale yeast or even just US05.

This is pretty much the recipe from 'Brew Your Own British Ale at Home' and from a post I saw on a uk forum, it is the recipe guinness use. As for the soured component of guinness, I can't help you, but the above recipe does produce a very good stout.

I brewed this exact recipe last Tuesday. I believe the recipe is from one of Graham Wheeler's books about breweing real ale at home. MHB looked it up for me last week when I was in the shop.
90 minute mash @66C, and 90 minute boil. I got an OG of 1.051 and bittered with Target to 43 IBU. I pitched a jar of slurry of WY1968. My OG is probably too high, but I'm not arguing.

I brewed this exact recipe last Tuesday. I believe the recipe is from one of Graham Wheeler's books about breweing real ale at home. MHB looked it up for me last week when I was in the shop.
90 minute mash @66C, and 90 minute boil. I got an OG of 1.051 and bittered with Target to 43 IBU. I pitched a jar of slurry of WY1968. My OG is probably too high, but I'm not arguing.

Nice one warra, I made it on sunday for the second time. Like you I ended up with a higher OG, and like you I'm not arguing ;) . It does make a very nice stout. I've only done 6 AG brews and I've done this one twice now. Last time I used S04 and it came out under attenuated FG 1.016, so this time I'm using US-05 and hoping for a bit more attenuation and cleaner finish.

Hi All,

Does anyone have a good recipe for Guiness that they have as a beersmith file?
If so, could anyone pls upload one?

Please :unsure:

4.17kg pilsner grain, .58kg flaked barley, .58 roast barley, .25 chocolate.......... 28g super alpha at 90min, 13g of willamette at 45min, boil size 35 ltres (boil in bag), I add a tsp of calcium carbonate towards the end because of all that roast..........turns out well........lacks sourness

But too get a sour guiness taste, you can add a can of soured beer.... just by leaving it out on the bench to get infected, then you suposedly boil this before adding to the fermenter.....I haven't tried this method yet.

Back